X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mal'akh
    started a topic Current inspirations

Current inspirations

I got to watching Once Upon A Time at Lingjian Mountain which is a comedic wuxia series on Netflix, it also has a comic which was translated as Spirit Blade Mountain. Having watched several episodes of that I get a Netflix recommendation for Ashes of Love , another wuxia series that gives a great feel for a distant and corrupt celestial bureaucracy.

What currently inspires you?

• Accelerator
    replied
    I just remember!

Kung fu hustle is an amazing show. Really fucking awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Kunoichi
    replied
    The protagonists were the ones getting stomped.

It's a good show, worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lqUEICwQ7M

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    Originally posted by Kunoichi View Post

Yeah, it pretty much was. The mortals were all heroes in their own way, but their opponent was fighting them with some pretty potent magic and no-effort shutdowns.

It's pretty neat, still. I'd recommend watching the show or at least the final episode's battle.
    I have actually not seen that tv show. So were the protags the ones getting stomped, or the ones doing the stomping?

Leave a comment:

• Kunoichi
    replied
    Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    That sounds like a curb stomp battle.
    Yeah, it pretty much was. The mortals were all heroes in their own way, but their opponent was fighting them with some pretty potent magic and no-effort shutdowns.

It's pretty neat, still. I'd recommend watching the show or at least the final episode's battle.

Leave a comment:

• Accelerator
    replied
    Originally posted by Kunoichi View Post
    I was recently inspired by the fight in the last episode of Seis Manos (on Netflix). It was very Celestial Exalted vs mortals.
    That sounds like a curb stomp battle.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    How 'bout Tanith Lee's Birthgrave?

Leave a comment:

• webkilla
    replied
    Well, Jojo's bizzare adventure is an obvious fallback for inspiration for exalted

...but I want to go one step beyond:

Imagine: A green-clad gent, suave and with a sexy yet out of this world hairdo, and a swagger and pose as if he doesn't have a spine only gar. His fighting style? Phantom essence images of a mystical warrior to distract and intimidate his foes, and his razor-sharp chiaroscuan glass shuriken, all of them emerald green, all buffed to hell with thrown charms

I call him: Jojo D'Ref

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    It's here, if anyone wants to read about the Arthurian-inspired part: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...hapter-fiction

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Oh, I found some more of the Arthurian-turned-viking characters.
    Arcturus's Huscarls included:
    Jarl Galchmei, bearer of a starmetal blade (on his uncle Arcturus's behalf)
    Many Spears, foster-son of the local water goddess
    Sigurd the Berzerker
    Karl Kingsmilk
    Moreth (Arcturus's incestuous bastard)
    Black Paladin, a warrior of the far South
    Five Pigs, leader of the White Bull minotaurs
    Gallow-glass, most perfect and Gary Sue-esque of all the White Bull Minotaurs (him and Five Pigs went off looking for the Crucible of Divine Refinement), Many Spears' bastard.
    Ivan Lionfriend (he has a lion, obviously)
    Torsten and Solva
    Eric the White

And of course his enchantress, the Fae known as The Princess Birthed in Sunken Depths, Moreth's aunt.

I can post up the fiction I write between sessions if people are interested.

Leave a comment:

• Clophiroth
    replied
    That sounds pretty cool. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    So, basically; PCs go to nice Lunar-run northern kingdom, led by friendly quest-giver. Then it all falls apart due to an evil alliance of Fae/the Guild/Dragonblood. This leaves PCs invested in a barbarian region with various disunited clans, gods, fae, etc, and no Celestials of higher xp than them.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Right, let's see...

So, the PCs were invited to a Moot by King Arcturus (dragon totem), at his castle of Caer Moroth. They met him and his court; his wife Pale Spirit, best friend Many Spears (son of the local water goddess, twice kidnapped by dwarves), his nephew Jarl Galreich who carried Arcturus' starmetal blade, his "nephew" Moroth who suspiciously resembles Arcturus, various minor thanes like the black-skinned Paladin, Arcturus' foster-brother Karl Kingsmilk, the minotaurs of the White Bull warrior lodge (their leader Five Pigs has a black mark on his nose and an eye for the ladies, while his subordinate Gallow-Glass is the purest and most Gary-Sue-esque thane in all the land, as well as Many Spears' bastard).
    There were also some spirits, like the rival water spirits Sig-Yanna (water goddess) and the royal enchantress The Princess Birthed In Sunken Depths.

There were also some other gods and characters of course that were not Arthur-related, as I also wanted tribes of beastmen, various warrior lodges, and strange gods.
    (As an aside, this is the first ever game of Exalted where I've been happy with god-related plot, for which I must thank a so-so fantasy author and Isator Levi)

In the first session, the Changing Moon learned that the Queen, Pale Spirit, was having an affair with Many Spears.
    In the second session, they went and hunted the Screaming Beast, which happened to look the same and have the same backstory as the Questing Beast.
    In the third session, they set out in their longship on a quest to investigate some missing villagers (and gave a lift to the white minotaurs, who were on a quest to find the Crucible of Divine Refinement).

To cut a long, non-Arthur-related-story short, they discovered that a group of foreign mutant mercenary samurai were screwing with the kingdom and trying to blame it on the Witches of Xor, a local coven of Fae witches.

When they returned, they discovered that Arcturus was besieging Many Spears' motte-and-bailey fort, where the warrior was hiding with the Queen. Apparently Moroth had revealed the adultery, and they'd fled.
    The PCs negotiated for the Full Moon would duel Many Spears to resolve the issue.

However, Arcturus' shaman's ghost appeared; he told the PC shaman that the foreign mercenaries had attacked and siezed Caer Moroth. PCs and NPCs split up to rush back at different speeds.

On the way, Arcturus was ambushed by the mutants, led by... his own bastard, Moroth! Moroth killed his father, while assassins took out Many Spears elsewhere.

The PCs clashed with the mercenaries and their Dragonblood leaders a few times, who were trying to set up Moroth as king.

Eventually, the PC shaman called a Moot to choose the new King. During this, peace was made between the PCs, the Ice Giants, and the Dragonblood, and Moroth vanished never to be seen again. (He'd been replaced 2 weeks before by the Changing Moon.)

Unfortunately by that time, as there was also an eternal winter (they thought this was from the Dragonblood leader, it wasn't), and most of the nobles had just died, and Caer Moroth had literally fallen into the sea because of all the earthquakes... the country was pretty screwed. So after convincing the Dragonblood and Jotunn to leave, the new Queen (a regional Jarl with little power) had to just focus on food and rebuilding.

Meanwhile, the PCs went to investigate the eternal winter... but that story arc's not Arthur-inspired, that's Narnia/Ragnarok/Mesopotamian-flood-myth inspired.

Leave a comment:

• Clophiroth
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    I recently finished the first main story arc of my northern Lunar campaign, which was very heavily based on L'Morte D'Arthur, except with early medieval style (Vikings, Anglo-Saxons) rather than the high medieval style King Arthur is normally done with.
    As something who have Pendragon as one of her favourite games, along with Exalted, this sounds awesome and would like to hear more :O

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    I recently finished the first main story arc of my northern Lunar campaign, which was very heavily based on L'Morte D'Arthur, except with early medieval style (Vikings, Anglo-Saxons) rather than the high medieval style King Arthur is normally done with.

Now that the peaceful realm of Changing Moon King Arcturus (Dragon totem, of course) has fallen, most of his Knights are dead, and barbarism reigns
    My current story arc is based on Ragnarok; Jormungundr is writhing so there's been lots of earthquakes, the Ice Giants are at war with the high gods (by which I mean Mela), and Fimbulwinter is on the world. However, the dreams some PCs been getting about it are inspired by Mesopotamian myths.

The arc I've got planned next is inspired by reading about the (redacted) period of history, which I think is one that basically no games do, certainly we've not done it before.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X