Help Me Make Dragon Armor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Make Dragon Armor

I want to see what 3e Dragon Armor might look like, unfortunately I'm probably weaker with Evocations than anything else except Lunar charms. I really don't know what should happen. I'm thinking that like a Warstrider it should require maintenance and a hearthstone, although probably less frequent and only a lesser one. Would it be too much of a boon to make it a basic repair project? That's kind of just free craft points. The bare basics of increased strength and the filtration baffles/air tank could maybe be the attunement bonus.

Then the evocations could be a fairly wide tree with some options available to all like the astrological occlusion device, essence vision, or the visual cloak. Then each of the two elemental features like the Essence Thrust Drive and the Lightning Gauntlets could be available depending on the colour of jade.

Some of the effects are pretty easy to port, the Essence Thrusters could just be a flight charm with a constant mote drain, and keep the long range mode. The velocity magnifier could just allow for easier flurrying of Rush and Disengage, or make give them bonuses. The Essence Dampening Field, the battlefield manipulators and some of the other ones are tripping me up.

For those of us not in the know, what is Dragon Armor?

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
    -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
      They're suits of specialty armor that have been in previous editions of exalted, along with Celestial Battle Armor. Think of them like elementally charged sorcerous power suits. So it had like enhanced vision that cut through smoke and granted essence sight, enhanced strength, bonus speed, enhanced camouflage, poison filtering mask, patterns that confounded divination magic, and depending on the colour of jade elemental enhancements. Blue jade ones could fly and shoot lightning for instance. They also required hearthstone and regular maintenance just like warstriders, which helped balance their plethora of powers.

Comment

I think to really do them justice in Ex3 you'd have to treat them as 5 different armours from the ground up that share a common designation rather than one artifact with a few variations.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
        Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
          The Armor of the Immaculate Dragons, as presented in Wonders of the Lost Age section on Power Armours, were mass produced artefacts of five common designs for use by Dragon-blooded. (For that "Go, go, Power Rangers now in articulated plate armour" vibe.)

While Gunzosha power armours for mortal use have been mentioned in What Fire Has Wrought, and are promised to be detailed in Heirs to the Shogunate, the mass-produced aspect is likely gone the way of Common Warstriders and Generic Daiklaives.

If you pull Armor of the Immaculate Dragons back into the setting, I'd suggest making it a unique set of five artefact armours whose evocations work best when wearers fight as a team, much like Courante and Galliard do; the Orichalcum and Moonsilver Daiklaives from Arms of the Chosen. Possibly also with some sort of "Let our powers combine!" capstone evocation (prerequiring the wearers to be a Sworn Kinship).

Comment

I’d also take a look at Mela’s Coil in Arms of the Chosen. It really seems like it could serve well as Air Dragon Armor.

Comment

What in particular do you like about Dragon Armor? So we make sure we’re giving the correct advice to help capture what you like.

Comment

I'm 99% sure that Mela's Coil is the new Most Terrifying Armor of the Air Dragon.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                  What in particular do you like about Dragon Armor? So we make sure we’re giving the correct advice to help capture what you like.
                  Well in going through Aspect Book: Air and the mention in the ex3 core, I like how they're kind of set up to be some of the greatest armors that places like Lookshy and the Realm can field. They're nearly impossible to duplicate in the modern age, and take some work to keep working. I'm not really looking for mass produced assembly line style armours, and I don't really think the technology aesthetic is really important.

The things I'd like to get across with it basically are this:
                  • It's not armor for everyday use. Unless you're some poor sap that Lookshy or the Imperial Army has need to do the most dangerous and important missions constantly it's something that you only take out when you have to.
                  • It's recognizable as a class of armour for those occasions. Like how if you saw House Cathak forces unloading a pair of Warstriders off of a ship. Not quite to that degree, of course, but a similar feeling. Each warstrider is a unique miracle, but they're set apart from just regular armor.
                  • Strapping yourself into it feels like a bit of a rush, and Mela's Coil does this for instance. It's heavy armor with no mobility penalty, buoyant in water, immunity to airborn hazards of all kinds, limitless breath, and built in artifact weapons for no additional attunement. Its evocations give you speed, flight, binding jade coils, and a big area lightning weapon. It kind of just accelerates you.

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                  I'm 99% sure that Mela's Coil is the new Most Terrifying Armor of the Air Dragon.
                  Mela's Coil is a really good example, and one that I forgot about. If we were to make it a thing people would count it as Dragon Armour. The only thing missing really is the implication that there are other similar suits out there, and that some of them exist for other elements. Not to say that there's like, a Mela's Coil mk.II out there or something, but that's why it doesn't exactly track perfectly.

The best would be if I could have an elite team of Terrestrials, that are either my PCs or hunting them, all equipped with Dragon Armour and have it feel kind of cohesive. An added bonus would be if we could brush a hint of super sentai flavour onto it, but that's not super necessary.

Comment

Wasn’t it possible to practice any Inmaculare Style with the associated Dragon Armor?

Air Dragon doesn’t allow heavy armor in 3rd Edition. Only Earth Dragon does.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

I've never been on board with artifacts being totally unique items that can never be reproduced, probably the science and engineering background. The first age artifice stuff works a good excuse to make a reproducible artifact. Instead of extremely rare and hard to reproduce materials and methods to build an artifact you use complicated sorcerous essence circuitry to direct the essence patterns of an artifact into the desired form.

That out of the way Evocations immediately struck me as a solid tool for doing things like first age power armor. Each evocation represents a different ability that the power armor has. It works because as I recall the power armors were customizable anyway. Evocations also suggest a route by which a character can specialize in power armor rather than just making it one more power upgrade for the characters base abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Hark View Post
                        I've never been on board with artifacts being totally unique items that can never be reproduced, probably the science and engineering background.
                        Isn't every space craft custom made?

Power armour was a thing that made no sense to me in Exalted until the developers said it would work along the same lines as half of the warstriders in that Evocations would represent fine control over the various technical functions and tactical hardware of the armour, in contrast to magic armour running off of a mythic legend.

So that's certainly a place to start, rather than comparing to Mela's Coils.

I think that the thing to take from that is an Arbor that is freed from the requirement of a narrative, and just gets to package a bunch of useful things together. It's like you said about the eye lenses and air filters and strength enhancements. The elemental quality, well, the components are the same but the enhancements provided get a different focus.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                          Power armour was a thing that made no sense to me in Exalted until the developers said it would work along the same lines as half of the warstriders in that Evocations would represent fine control over the various technical functions and tactical hardware of the armour, in contrast to magic armour running off of a mythic legend.
                          What's the difference between unlocking flight and blasts of lightning with Mela's Coil's Evocations and a Warstrider's Evocations?

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                          Wasn’t it possible to practice any Inmaculare Style with the associated Dragon Armor?

Air Dragon doesn’t allow heavy armor in 3rd Edition. Only Earth Dragon does.
                          The Immaculate Styles all used to allow (Super-)Heavy Armor. Which was part of what made them so good. But then 2E was a lot more permissive with most MAs and armor.

That said... I really wouldn't mind counting Mela's Coil as light armor because of its Mobility Penality of 0. Firmly house-rule territory here: if it was meant to count as light armor, it'd have a rule to that effect. But come on. The thing is begging to be used with Martial Arts. Maybe throw in a Scene long custom Evocation to make it work if you must.
                          Last edited by JohnDoe244; 12-28-2019, 07:12 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

It just feels wrong to me that "I use the rocket boots!" is an Evocation. I think if I were redesigning Warstriders (or Power Armor) I'd make them collections of artifacts. There's the core frame, everything needed to move and fight, it's the Warstrider. Then there's all the components that aren't needed but really should be in there like the essence thrusters, shoulder-mounted flame cannons, or the memory-occlusion plating that I have trouble justifying as "sleeping within the artifact" but don't want clogging up the attunement bonus.

Comment

Isn't every space craft custom made?
                              That's something to think about. There were 13 Staturn V rockets built and launched, not only were each of them modified and fine tuned, in fact every one of their Rocketdyne F-1 engines was unique, even though each rocket had 5 of them. So, no, they weren't all assembly line mass produced things. There could be room for some of that I think. Why can't there be the 7 identical blades of a master swordsmith, forged for each of the seven daughters of the emperor?

I want something that I can be like "Well it looks like Lookshy is really serious about keeping this redoubt out of your hands, the four officers that they've sent to clean up this mess all walked up to the fortress sporting dragon armour." Something that you could tell at a glance is one of the 5-dot wonders that survived from ages past, or one of the tiny handful that was actually produced in the second age. Something that tells you that the armor itself is almost as dangerous and versatile as the Exalt wielding it.

There's some examples like that already. The Brass Legionnaires are five legions of artifact 4 automations. There's sorcery capturing chords, and Wonderous Globes of Precious Stability. Not everything has to be 100% completely unique always. Even for great weapons of war, like lightning ballistae or implosion bows there can be several of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X