This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquillion
    started a topic E10 Solar Charm (P.E.A.C.H.)

E10 Solar Charm (P.E.A.C.H.)

I've long wanted to write an E10 Solar charm - a charm that captures the pinnacle of pinnacles, the raw power and majesty of the Solar Exalted in charm form. I've had a number of ideas in the back of my head for a while, but as soon as this one came to me I knew it was perfect - awe-inspiring, yet balanced; simple, yet cleverly designed, with endless depths to explore. I don't think it's an exaggeration to call this the greatest charm ever to exist, but I would love feedback over how incredible it is. Behold:

This One Goes to Eleven

Cost:
    --; Mins: Integrity 5, Essence 10; Type: Permanent

The Solar sits at the ultimate pinnacle of Creation. Having attained ultimate enlightenment, they understand the workings of Creation and the universe as if it were their own hand. All things bow before their unyielding spirit and flawless, absolute perfection. From this lofty pinnacle, how can one proceed? When you are already at the top, where can you go from there? Where? This charm allows you to raise your Essence to 11.

• Lioness
    replied
    At this point I'm locking the thread, there's way too much water under the bridge.

I'd like to thank Lanic for their role in making the elder exalted discussion bearable, while there's differences with what we want from Exalted you conveyed what your preferences were and I respect them.
    Last edited by Lioness; 01-15-2020, 06:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Guitar Longcat
    replied
    Originally posted by Lioness View Post
    Excuse me?

Go back to the start of the thread please because you’re the person who started the edition drama. I shared something that a developer told me during the playtest and you seized upon an opportunity to vent about how an aspect of the current edition isn't to your liking.

Then immediately after posting in the what you love about Exalted thread you came back to this thread to vent some more. I’m of the viewpoint that sometimes venting about changes in game systems can be healthy, almost nobody plays a pure version of a given system or setting and holdovers don’t automatically make you a grognad telling the kids to stop having fun.

It’s normally against policy to moderate discussions I’m part of, but after the last two posts I’ll make an exception because what you’re doing doesn’t appear to be healthy for you or the community.

Please leave the thread.
    I can't even tell what I'm receiving an infraction for. I've seen the post before that one, where I was sincerely trying to give critique to what I assumed was a good faith attempt at charm design. I've never hidden my dislike for aspects of 3e, so I don't see how I'm "seizing an opportunity" just to talk about something I have to say about Exalted I intended to make offhandedly, which I did imply when I directly stated that I wanted to return to the original topic of discussion before others started addressing me directly about a subject I myself didn't feel was relevant to this thread. Unless there's some unspoken rule about not being allowed to talk about things people are talking to you about. I also find it concerning that you are in fact making an exception to the standard protocal for moderation.

I appreciate your concern for my health, but will take the opportunity to inform you there is a strong separation between my working life and my gaming life. I certainly don't see how I'm being deletrious to the community when I've repeatedly said I've been trying to talk about the original subject and again-commented positively on Crop Weaver's charm.

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    Originally posted by Guitar Longcat View Post
    I like this idea. I like that it's actually relevant to the original post, instead of the bizarre inter-edition drama that's overtaken this thread. I'm shocked even a moderator is getting in on it, frankly.
    Excuse me?

Go back to the start of the thread please because you’re the person who started the edition drama. I shared something that a developer told me during the playtest and you seized upon an opportunity to vent about how an aspect of the current edition isn't to your liking.

Then immediately after posting in the what you love about Exalted thread you came back to this thread to vent some more. I’m of the viewpoint that sometimes venting about changes in game systems can be healthy, almost nobody plays a pure version of a given system or setting and holdovers don’t automatically make you a grognad telling the kids to stop having fun.

It’s normally against policy to moderate discussions I’m part of, but after the last two posts I’ll make an exception because what you’re doing doesn’t appear to be healthy for you or the community.

Please leave the thread.

Leave a comment:

• Guitar Longcat
    replied
    Originally posted by Elfive View Post
    I think that has something to do with the original post being a Spinal Tap joke.
    I was born too late to know what Spinal Tap is even now, so as I said before I do not get the joke and at this point I'm so embittered by people condescendingly using seemingly any topic to assault you for daring to have a different opinion about Exalted editions that I don't want to.

Seriously, I walked away from this forum for a month because of a family vacation and came back to find like 3 replies amounting to that. if I need to cite a "burden of proof" and be told I'm wrong for wanting to know more about the Primordial War's logistics instead of being invested in a bunch of characters the edition I prefer depicted as almost humorously incompetant most of the time, then I feel like I'm less talking about a game and more talking about a legal assignment we're all not being paid for.
    Last edited by Guitar Longcat; 01-15-2020, 05:42 AM. Reason: Explaination

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    I think that has something to do with the original post being a Spinal Tap joke.

Leave a comment:

• Guitar Longcat
    replied
    Originally posted by Crop Weaver View Post
    E11 doesn't look like supreme understanding to me. As for all "end-game" powers as a Storyteller I always ask myself what is important in the story, and my players' perspectives.

What would supreme power looks like ? Well the Solar are the embodiment of untamed potential, unconquerable majesty, heroism beyond duty and beyond hope. As such what would be ultimate enlightenment ? My answer : the understanding of oneself, one's power, and one's place in the universe. Such are the Solar that they can not only change or break Fate, but make and unmake the Rules and the Laws.

An so behold this pinacle (I hope to inspire you), only achievable though deep meditation after a life lasting at least a millennium and shared with Exalted of all :

Beyond Breaking Boundaries

Cost:--; Min: Integrity 5, Essence 10; Prerequisites: 19 Integrity Charms
    Type: Permanent, Stackable; Tags: Story

Having attained ultimate enlightenment the Solar not only truly knows herself, but understand and internalize her Solar Caste and how it fits around and shape her Exaltation. Then with a perfect thought she breaks through those limits to redefine herself as Something More.

Through this Charm the Solar gains the advantages of another Solar Caste. She defines 5 new caste abilities in the new chosen Caste (and move favored abilities if necessary only*), one of which becomes her second supernal ability, and gains the power of this Caste Anima. She also gains a second Caste mark, and can choose to meld the two when she wants.

This charm is stackable and can be re-bought after a century has passed. Such powerful changes if not stabilized through time and practice are one of the few theoretical ways an Exaltation could break.

*if 4 or 5 are taken she moves 1 or 2. If only 3 are taken she takes the other 5. She can switch a favored and caste one for the purpose of making it Supernal. Well you see the gist of it I hope...
    Edit : just realized that at Essence 10 it doesn't really matter.... Well never mind then ^^
    I like this idea. I like that it's actually relevant to the original post, instead of the bizarre inter-edition drama that's overtaken this thread. I'm shocked even a moderator is getting in on it, frankly.

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    Also, problem with the "Darth Vader" archetype as an RPG boss is that typically they're going to need enough speed or ranged ability to stop agile PCs from running circles around them.
    But in countering that you also risk preventing them from escaping unless the boss allows it. At this point I'd question if we'd be best served by an alternative resolution system since this feels like the tabletop equivilent of a quick time event.
    That's what I was trying to communicate by talking about Powered by the Apocalypse game but your example is much more clear. Thanks !

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    Also, problem with the "Darth Vader" archetype as an RPG boss is that typically they're going to need enough speed or ranged ability to stop agile PCs from running circles around them.
    But in countering that you also risk preventing them from escaping unless the boss allows it. At this point I'd question if we'd be best served by an alternative resolution system since this feels like the tabletop equivilent of a quick time event.

Leave a comment:

• Ghosthead
    replied
    Originally posted by Lanic View Post

I meant that reportedly in the first edition Solars' overwhelming power was fealt to be exaggeration and there were complaints to this effect. Then, Solars from second edition and their power levels were reportedly a reaction to this complaint.
    I think in 1e, in combat the Solars were acknowledged to be comfortably the strongest, but it was thought their strength was kind of boring and defensive. Stack strong persistent defences better than other Exalted have, then whomp anything that gets through with reasonably cheap omni-applicable, perfect defenses, then go on offensive with strong weapons and high dice adders, while your other Exalted have weaker or no stacked persistent defenses, perfect defenses which are either more expensive and/or less applicable (but not both cheap and applicable). They'd win, but there was a complaint I think that this was all a bit flavourless and "meat and potato" compared to Sidereal Martial Arts / Sidereal / Alchemical, etc Charms. On the other hand, the only High Essence Charms, SMA, were frequently and increasing described as broken (Jon Chung, etc), so...

(Fan made custom content for high Essence Solar Charms tended to be a very straightforward power button, even when flavourfully executed - see Sol Invitus fan supplement).

I do think you're right that the intent of the power curve was probably that starting Solars had a bit more progression relative to 3e being a bit embracing of "You've already got the power to shake the Heavens, skipping the zero-to-hero story that's been done"... (though 1e kinda far short of the extremes of unfightable elders and Primordial scale opponents going 5v1 against Exalted and all that?)

That said, I would say whatever else I think about Supernal Abilities I like the idea of them in giving Solars a unique progression where they start out as really powerful in one area, but kind of wonky and not rounded characters and so vulnerable to more rounded opponents. It seems kind of a unique progression to progress from being focused to more well-rounded rather than just linearly more powerful. Whether it really works out that well IDK.

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    The Lion's a tricky one for me because I at least understand why someone would want to run him like a Dragonball Z villain.

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    You might find this interesting because it's basically first edition's elder problem on full display with the First and Forsaken Lion.
    Yeah that looks like a problem. Especially combined with the fact that the Lion also has Final Maelstrom one of the largest armies of the dead in the Underworld, and his own Abyssal exalted. He's far from an island.

Incidentally I just looked at his stats, holy hell why?

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

I just popped open a few of the old first edition books and it's pretty epic. They have Mountain Crossing Leap that lets them leap five miles in five minutes, Heavenly Guardian Defense which is a classic PD although it costs a willpower, both of those were available right off chargen if you wanted.
    You might find this interesting because it's basically first edition's elder problem on full display with the First and Forsaken Lion.

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Lanic View Post
    I meant that reportedly in the first edition Solars' overwhelming power was fealt to be exaggeration and there were complaints to this effect. Then, Solars from second edition and their power levels were reportedly a reaction to this complaint.
    I just popped open a few of the old first edition books and it's pretty epic. They have Mountain Crossing Leap that lets them leap five miles in five minutes, Heavenly Guardian Defense which is a classic PD although it costs a willpower, both of those were available right off chargen if you wanted.

Leave a comment:

• Lanic
    replied
    Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

Unfortunately I didn’t play any of first edition really. In second edition for sure, Solars could use merits/flaws to get to Essence 5 off chargen and start grabbing cap-burster charms to get Essence 6+ charms right away. They also just were Essence 5 for all purposes, so bigger mote pools, minimum damage 5, essence calculations. My first ever character was a 2e sorcerer with Adamant Circle Sorcery ad Total Annihilation from session 1. On the other hand he didn’t really grow much past that in many ways that felt very meaningful to his character. When I remade him in 3e I appreciated not having Solar Circle Sorcery, but then again I did take Ephemeal Induction Technique so...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X