No announcement yet.

What do you love about Exalted? [Positive Responses Only]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the absurd stories we get to tell.

​I love the things I've had to look up.

​I love that this game got me into Howard and Zelazny and Martin and Tanith Lee.

​I love that the game has a group of crazed titans, desperately throwing themselves against the bars of their prison-bodies; that the game has a group of dead titans, psychically clawing at the worlds of the living and dead in a fit of nihilistic rage; but that the game can focus in on a trade dispute between two city-states, the intrigue surrounding a succession crisis, or a guy wandering from city to city and wrestling their strongest guys for money.

I love that choke-slamming a city-god is perfectly acceptable first session behavior.

He/him

Comment

I love the way you have both a core of both a fairly sophisticated grounded understanding of historical politics and moral questions and ambiguous character and life as it was lived, that aren't out of place in literary period epics and drama, with absolute action+fantasy anime+CRPG nonsense! Really leaning hard into that kind of world and those kind of possibilities for character and story (and how RPGs are really well placed to play) is still an almost totally unique thing at close to the 20 year anniversary.

Comment

What I love best is that there is no clear line between who is the Hero and who is the Villain for the most part. Yes there are many injustices in the setting (at least from our outside perspective), but the Dragon-Blood who is guarding a convoy of Tribute to the Realm is often just as much a hero as the Lunar bandit that tries to waylay him to return the tribute to those it was taken from... or as villainous as the Solar pirate who wants to steal that booty for his own benefit.

Everyone is the hero of their own stories... and while you may see yourself as a hero (and may even be hailed as such by some), others may see you as the villain... and both views are correct. There isn't a single Exalt type that can only be a hero or a villain... though some (Abyssals and Infernals) have an easier time being the bad guys than being the good guys. No one is "pure" good or "pure" evil... they just are who they are.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
        I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

People have said a lot of what I'd say already about the setting, mechanics, and so on. So, yeah, all that stuff.

But... well... it's hard for me to not put a specific thing at number one:

I met my wife when she saw the cover of Exalted 1e while I was reading it and she came over to talk to me... even if it wasn't the first RPG we ended up playing together... Harmonious Jade turned out to be a kick ass wing-woman.

Comment

Hmmm ok this is a lot to unpack (all good stuff though)

For third edition, I love the system. I love the splats we have so far. I love that dragon bloods and lunars have given me an appreciation of where Solars fit. I love that even as a Dragon Blood one can feel like they are a powerful world shaking being. Their status shines, the way people treat them, the power isn't insignificant, and its just cool.

I got to play a DB in an all solars game and at no point did I feel like the weak link. Even the solars were commenting on how much I contributed. It was fun.
            I love lunars now. They have a society that's well written and fun. Shape shifting is fun and trying to find ways to integrate it with the character is great. I like that lunars have many different ways to play now, not just Relentless Lunar Fury+ Deadly Beast man Transformation.

The combat system is fun for me. The social system is great. It makes me want to play more characters with different knowledge of the world and everything.

Can i just really summarize so I don't wind up rambling to just say I really like EX3? :P

Comment

Originally posted by Dex Davican View Post
              What are these tests, if I may ask?
              It's a simple set of common social tasks. I check if a social system:
              - Permits them to be attempted with reasonably well-defined mechanics
              - Has reasonably well-defined difficulties (that is, the GM doesn't have to invent a difficulty)
              - Does not leak important metainformation such as "*dice clattter* Make a Detect Lies check. OK, your character thinks he's telling the truth even though you the player know you only make Detect Lies checks when you're lied to."

The general list of tasks is:
              - The Basic Functions tests: Can you talk your way past a guard? Bribe an official to deal with your document first? Tearfully convince a detective that you really didn't do it? Con somebody into buying snake oil? Threaten a mob into standing down? Start a panic by yelling "FIRE!"? (Yes! 3E handles these basic use cases without issue.)
              - The Combat test: Assassin Alice attacks Diplomatic Dave. Can Dave talk down Alice during combat time? (Yes! 3E's social system functions just fine during combat.)
              - The Master Plan test: The king is dead, and Teenage Tim is the new king. Wicked Wally wants to be the power behind the throne. Can Wally gain young Tim's trust and get Tim to defer to him? And is this task appropriately difficult? (Yes and yes! Some intensive Instilling will get Wally where he wants to be, but it'll be a lot of work. Tim will know Wally's trying to curry favor and earn trust, but the mechanics don't tell Tim that Wally's rolling Manipulation.)
              - The Bidirectionality test: NPC Nancy wants to talk PC Paul into doing something, and she's pretty persuasive. Can Nancy try even if the GM couldn't talk his way out of a paper bag? (Yes! 3E's social system works on PCs too.)
              - The Evil Twin test: Heroic Harry and Allied Alan are waging war against Deceptive Dave, and Harry is waiting for Alan to tell him where to strike. Two messengers burst into the room. One says Alan's forces are fighting at Westville and need reinforcement immediately. The other says Alan's forces are fighting at Eastburg and need reinforcement immediately. Can Harry figure out which messenger is an imposter? (System failure, metainformation leak! Harry can only really interact with the situation through Read Intentions and Profile Character actions, both of which only give correct information or no information. Even if the fake's Guile beats Harry's RI or PC, Harry gets one count of "Loyal to Alan, sir!" or "He's a messenger, he was out running through the woods until just recently" and one count of "403 ACCESS DENIED" and the player immediately knows which is the fake despite failing the roll. Considering there's an entire splat of shapechanging tricksters, this is a pretty nasty oversight.)

Beyond metainformation in the Evil Twin test there's a bit of a wart in that the system doesn't have any brakes that prevent "Hi, nice to meet you, have an orange, let me give you a Defining tie of Loyalty towards me now". But it's the most functional system I've seen.

Comment

I love that the PCs in tonight’s session knew Lionfolk were behind the recent attacks on villages, ran into some Lionfolk, and still stopped to say, “Wait, these might not be the right Lionfolk!”

I love that one of the PCs willingly gained a Derangement to feed the Fair Folk when she learned they were starving.
                Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 01-05-2020, 12:03 AM.

He/him

Comment

I like three things mostly about Exalted.

-Being the most glorious writer in the world is in fact a great avenue of power just like being the super swordsmen is and ninja of doom.

-I love the fact that more then any other game I know, your character does have the power to change the world by sheer skill, smarts, luck, and power. You'll very very rarely be told that what you are doing is completely impossible for your character or that a goal is completely outside your reach. And if you do the game is very clear on what those things are in fact impossible.

-And finally I because of the second point, I love that you can feel like a force of change for the better, At least to the best of your wisdom. Because it is not a question of power. This is more then anything why I love the Solar Exalted the most. They more then any other exalted fit such a narrative.

That is not to say that no other exalted can do such as well, I just feel Solars fit the best to such a story.

Comment

Originally posted by Kell_Tamer View Post
                    Can i just really summarize so I don't wind up rambling to just say I really like EX3? :P
                    You certainly can. You can also ramble if you like! This is a positivity thread. Gushing is encouraged.

Hey, check out my first original RPG, Post-Mortem, here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307131/PostMortem

Or read my Exalted novella The Silence of Our Ancestors here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...looded-Novella

Comment

Originally posted by Dex Davican View Post
                      As one of the freelance writers these days, I don't get too directly involved with the fan community, but Exalted has given me a lot of enjoyment and inspiration. I've seen "positive responses only" threads on other forums, and I think it'd be an interesting experiment for this one. Please join me in this experiment. I doubt we'll do it perfectly, but a good-faith effort would be appreciated. If it's been done already, well, the search function didn't reveal that to me, and also, who cares.

For me: I still love writing Charms (and I hope people enjoy what I recently wrote for Exigents). I love the mythic weight of the Exalted. As someone who started with D&D, I loved Exalted's willingness to address sex and sexuality, and love that we've been moving toward healthier ways to discuss those topics in the current edition.
                      The experience of performing epic feats using starting characters. The Brawl supernal is a very good substitute for going all Karna versus Arjuna. Someone in another thread listed some very good examples in the charms Nine Aeons Thew and Heaven Thunder Hammer, to which I'd also add Thunderclap Rush Attack/Thunderbolt Attack Prana, Dragon Coil Technique/Titan-Straightening Method and Crashing Wave Throw although I'm not quite certain if those let you bullrush someone and toss them into Extreme range.

On that subject, the utilisation of abilities which aren't traditionally seen as heroic to perform heroic deeds. Fate-Shifting Solar Arete from Larceny comes to mind, although the once a day use is a bit of a shame. Emerald Induction Technique from Occult is also a great way to support a non-conventionally combat capable "caster" type character with a powerful and valuable being. The use of the Supernal mechanic to get these high level abilities at chargen is what really helps sell the premise, I think.

Comment

I'll restate what others have said and say that I like that there's so many different ways to be a hero and not just a warrior.

I also like that you can be really powerful but still actually have to care about stuff, although that's more Ex3 than I felt in previous editions. There's some game systems out there that let you destroy cities, and lots of systems that make you have to care about the politics of the local imperial forces, but there's not quite so many that do both. I like a lot of the mystical philosophy elements of it as well, like the function of the gods, the Immaculate understanding of the elements, the dead's relationship with the living.

There's a bunch of cool stuff that I can't really go too far in without making like a ten paragraph post though, like how cool and weighty sorcery is, cool locations in every single direction, how the Realm book made me think that an epic game about the Imperial Post service was 100% possible. Prior to that I was thinking like, walking around delivering love letters on a lazy afternoon, now I'm thinking like, hooves pounding on stone as an Exalted messenger drives their horse over a storm-wracked mountain to deliver a priority request for military aid while fending off the angry dead spirits of the mountain pass.

Comment

I love Artifacts and Evocations. I love the personality in artifice.

I love that I was able to simply describe that a fight occurred in the past between a Solar brawler with red jade gauntlets and a Lion Folk, describe a scorched chasm torn into the earth, and I could see the spark in the players’ imaginations blaze to life.
                          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 01-05-2020, 11:25 AM.

He/him

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                            I love that the PCs in tonight’s session knew Lionfolk were behind the recent attacks on villages, ran into some Lionfolk, and still stopped to say, “Wait, these might not be the right Lionfolk!”

I love that one of the PCs willingly gained a Derangement to feed the Fair Folk when she learned they were starving.
                            It's great to see player investment/engagement like this.

Hey, check out my first original RPG, Post-Mortem, here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307131/PostMortem

Or read my Exalted novella The Silence of Our Ancestors here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...looded-Novella

Comment

Originally posted by Chronos12 View Post
                              -Being the most glorious writer in the world is in fact a great avenue of power just like being the super swordsmen is and ninja of doom.
                              I once had an Eclipse conqueror whose armies were equipped only with banners that read "Surrender" and "Join Us." I love that the system lets that be viable.

He also had a monstrous Full Moon mate for back-up, just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Reminiscent Oasis View Post
                                I once had an Eclipse conqueror whose armies were equipped only with banners that read "Surrender" and "Join Us." I love that the system lets that be viable.

He also had a monstrous Full Moon mate for back-up, just in case.
                                <_<... >_>... *Notes that for later use.*

Comment

Working...
                                X