What do you love about Exalted? [Positive Responses Only]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    I liked how there's always things and superpowers for anything a human can do.

There's always a question in any fantasy or superpowered setting. "why is it that you rule? Just because you've got superpowers doesn't mean that you would be a good at leadership, or skilled at management, or being inspirational to your subordinates, all things which a leader needs."
    Kind of. I mean, I love that Exalted adds "I am efficient bureaucrat to a supernatural degree" to the palette of why supernatural rulers *are* supernatural rulers.

I am less sure that they would always be who you exactly want *in charge* relative to some sorceress who can routinely pump out all manner of magical enhancements to her country. There are lots of benefits to having that person in charge, always making the last call, always in the room as the person to please when dealing with foreign governments, that you don't get just by putting them in a subordinate role and putting the supreme magical manager in the hot seat.

Comment

Romance between Solars and Lunars. Or Solars and Lunars who aren’t romantically involved dealing with their mate having feelings for someone else.

The die is cast.

Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

I love the cycle of strife and redemption. A “good” character can go too far in the pursuit of “good” and lose their way, but the intervention of a pure-hearted individual or the love of something beyond themself can bring them back to who they meant to be.

That’s a major theme for my current character, and it’s an interesting part of my group. What is a ‘hero’ is a great thing to explore in Exalted.

Comment

I love that the skills of the athlete and the warrior can be as magical as the skills of the scholar, and that the skills for applying medicine to heal people are central to the ability to heal people with magic, rather than redundant in the face of healing spells.

That said, I'm upset that there are no spells that heal or help with healing.

Also, I'm upset about the arbitrary lines drawn between "combat skills" and "martial arts", when combat arts are martial skills and martial skills are combat arts.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Oh golly, where do I start?

How about the blistering gonzo high-flying giant-sword-slinging wuxia anime action set in a sword-and-sorcery weird fantasy setting that genuinely feels strange and unique?

Or how every character concept has a bit of magic to them by nature of the charm-based system?

Maybe it's the fact that the conceptual (and literal) color palette is so vibrant I can taste the rainbow whenever I think about the game?

Could it be because it offers up an experience decidedly different from the Dungeons and Dragons norm that I grew up with?

I'll tell you what, though - whenever I think I'm done with Exalted, if only for awhile, it doesn't go away. It waits, patiently, until the time is right. And then the interest comes roaring back, as strong as it ever was.

Time has passed. I'm a changed man. So much of me, my life, my opinions, my beliefs, my situation is different now from when my love first blossomed... and some things just haven't changed at all. Exalted is still there. And I suspect it always will be.

If anything wants to unseat Exalted in my heart, it's going to have a heck of a time doing so.

I just wish they'd get those darn books out faster.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

I love the setting of Exalted as a place that has a large and complex ecosystem/social structure of gods such that there are not only the likes of your local field god but they're people who can form an integral part of the community and engage in their own participation in politics and spirituality. Plus the distinctions of what Heaven and its residents mean in this layout, and the frosty relationships between these sides.

I love it even more now that the potential for Exaltation is extended to those small gods, in addition to the obstacles and costs associated with that grace, and the reflections it might drive gods to take part in.

Why, I don't believe I know of many other fantasy settings that include even the particulars there, let alone what emerges from the combined melange of it all.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Going back to how "everyone can be a wizard, even the warrior", there's also "everyone can practice kung fu, not just the warriors".

That is to say, traditional women who are stay-at-home mothers can be Exalted, and be just as powerful as traditional warrior men Exalted, in different fields.

Crafting, Medicine, Lore, Integrity, Presence, Performance, Bureaucracy... You can spin the world on the new axis that is you without ever learning how to fight. While this is harder for Celestial Exalted in the Second Age, it's always been an option for Dragon-Blooded because the communities they can form through sheer numbers.

In most kung fu anime and similar franchises, non-combat super-agency doesn't generally happen.

In Dragon Ball Z, you generally need to be a Saiyan warrior or a genius inventor to mean anything.

In RWBY, Aura is like DBZ Ki in that it's only really accessible (and useful) to warriors. The rules about Semblances are unclear in this regard, but it also seems that most Semblances do not appear until you undergo the training to become a warrior, which necessarily excludes traditional housewives.

Comment

Not to mention stay-at-home fathers and traditional warrior-women.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    Not to mention stay-at-home fathers and traditional warrior-women.
                    Well, this is a fantasy setting.

EDIT: I'm not saying that women fighting or being warriors is fantastic, though it was historically rare. I was specifically referring to "traditional warrior-women" as an entire social caste, which is unheard of.
                    Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 03-30-2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                      Well, this is a fantasy setting.
                      What's so fantastical about women fighting?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                        What's so fantastical about women fighting?
                        We don't usually see it well, normally. In the real world

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                          We don't usually see it well, normally. In the real world
                          A lot of people don't know to look for it in the real world. But evidence suggests that women have fought in virtually every war in history, even if they had to hide their genders to do it. Hell, Shaka Zulu had an entire force of exclusively-female fighters.

​Just because people like Mike Pence feel that women shouldn't fight in the military, doesn't mean they're not going to.

Comment

It's rarely been common, but it has certainly happened many times.

Especially in sieges.

(I also think "traditional stay-at-home mothers" is a bit anachronistic because peasants for most of history were way too poor for anyone to not work... but also work was done largely in/from the home anyway.)

Actually, that's one thing I like about Exalted; by deliberately trying to big-up female and LGBT roles, it sometimes is actually more realistic than more "historical" settings. Not perfectly, because it's trying to be accessible rather than realistic. The presentation of LGBT people is more like modern views than the multiple, varied and complex (and often negative, but in a different way to modern homophobes) historical views of LGBT people, for example. But a lot of what people think is "historical" with regards to gender and societal roles is very much a simplification (and often based on projecting 17th century norms backwards into much less strict societies).
                            Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 03-30-2020, 06:18 AM.

I play...
                            Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                            Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Hmm... In the sense of literally staying at home*, well... Exalted Core is *kind* of unfriendly in its general 'tude to even scholars who want to stay in their library, compared to two-fisted action archaeologists and such. (Which I of course endorse as fully right and proper to portraying the right atmosphere of pulpy brio and "Savage Adventure"!). The old idea that in the world of Exalted, everyone should know some kung-fu etc.

But in the sense of "Broadly have the skills thought to be typical of", even if not literally staying at home. Yes, sure absolutely.

(And it is pretty cool to have such extensions of many suites of skills! It is also an oft pitfall of Exalted that it means gesturing for powers that not always plentifully in genre media can lead to writers coming up with some odd and wonky stuff, but let's focus on the positive ITT!).

* As is the current style of the times

Comment

I'm going to draw a line under discussing the roles of the sexes in regard to Creation/Exaltation because it's off-topic and has the potential to make the experience of this thread rather negative.

It's a reasonable basis for discussion elsewhere but please, not here.
                                Last edited by Lioness; 03-30-2020, 12:02 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                                Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Working...
                                X