Child Celestials and aging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Celestials and aging

I think this was adressed in a book somewhere, but I can't find it.

If a mortal recieves Celestial Exaltation as a child or young adolescent, how long do they stay that way? Do they remain 'young' forever? Or how long would they take to grow up?

Working on a side project and it involves a rather young girl recieving Exaltation (Solar, Lunar, Sidereal, and Abyssal, as this is about the same starting mortal and how they'd turn out depending on which kind of Exalt they'd be)

IIRC, a young Exalt continues to age slowly for a while until their apparent early 20s or so, then *very* slowly for the rest of their life, speeding up somewhat toward the end again. I can't remember the source but it would have been 2e.

Comment

Oh also, that's for the "normal" Celestials, but I remembered (and was able to locate, 2e Abyssals p. 94) that Abyssals are an explicit exception; they are locked at the age of Exaltation forever. This is how you get creepy-child-Abyssals like the Shoat of the Mire.

Comment

Children age normally until they reach their physical peak, just like Dragon Blooded. Note that physical peak is ambiguous and can be anywhere from 20 to 40s depending on the character. Then they stop ageing entirely till their last century of life.

it would be reasonable to have them slowly age in that range where “peak” might fall. So spend 200 years ageing from physically 20 till 35, and then stop for a millennia. But adolescence proceeds at normal speed regardless. The alternative, as loved by many an anime, is laden with too many pedophilic fetishization tropes.

Note this may not apply to Abyssals, and if any Celestial Exalted have perpetual child Exalted, its them - playing up the creepy dead kid angle, instead of vaguely fetishizing it the way it comes off with other character types.
        Last edited by glamourweaver; 01-05-2020, 02:46 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Abyssals were definitely the funkiest with their bodies. Heck, in previous editions they could be rotting zombies or even virtually skeletons and still be "alive" and Abyssal Exalted.

Comment

Hmm, interesting. I will admit my abyssal ideas (I usually have a few before deciding how to work it) may not work with a child body....

I'd go itno more detail, but I'm afraid of the reaction when I say what the whole idea I'm working on is.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackwell View Post
              Oh also, that's for the "normal" Celestials, but I remembered (and was able to locate, 2e Abyssals p. 94) that Abyssals are an explicit exception; they are locked at the age of Exaltation forever. This is how you get creepy-child-Abyssals like the Shoat of the Mire.
              ...theoretically, anyway. In practice, the Dowager must replace the Shoat every now and then.

Comment

That’s because she keeps getting killed by Bagwhei.

Comment

Shoat of the Mire is weird, I get the impression someone wanted her to be an immortal assassin in a child's body but the timeline of Abyssals being introduced to Creation didn't allow for it.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                  Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Lunars are another special case, as basically all of them have the potential to get Many-Faced Moon Transformation and make physical age their plaything (though it doesn't affect their lifespans).

So, while the Abyssal called the Kindly Doom-of-Wolves is stuck at fourteen because that's when she was Exalted, her Lunar enemy Thornwood Boy chooses to be an eternal teenager.

Comment

So...how to make a 10 or eleven year old Abyssal intimidating?

Comment

There's loads of horror films featuring creepy kids.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

As Oz said, there is plenty of horror that involved creepy children. Children of the Corn comes to mind. The thing though is to play up the “wrongness” of the child. Our brains have specific expectations for children, and the horror/creepyness comes from those either being met with subtle differences or from VERY stark contrasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                            Shoat of the Mire is weird, I get the impression someone wanted her to be an immortal assassin in a child's body but the timeline of Abyssals being introduced to Creation didn't allow for it.
                            The Deathlords breaking the Jade Prison probably could have been modified at the start to make it so they only got half of the Solar blinkenlights out a few centuries earlier, but we're rather far past that. Not that it stopped the original author of the Cold House entry in Abyssals from claiming otherwise for the Eye and Seven Despairs.

Comment

I'd say it tends to vary from Exalt to Exalt; Exaltation that early in life is vanishingly rare outside of Terrestrial Exalted, and you might have instances where the Exalt's age slows from the moment of their second breath, but I'd honestly be inclined to say that as much as a "normal" does occur, the "perfection" of the Exaltation tends to lean towards "grows up healthy as possible, on the fast side of normal."

As Glamourweaver points out, though, the idea of someone with an adult lifetime of experience in a child's body run's a risk of being more than a little squicky, as is the idea of someone with only a child's life experience appearing as an adult. Messing around with those age lines is probably something to discuss with players, depending on your game.

Comment

Working...
                              X