Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: What canon Dynastic NPC should be the parents & gardians to these PC's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: What canon Dynastic NPC should be the parents & gardians to these PC's?

A followup to this thread.

I need drama to make this game work. Thus, I need some real Drama Momma's (& Daddies). Oh. & Aunts & Uncles. (Stupid Dynasty & it's stupid insistence on the importance of extended family.)

The PC's will be Dynastic children going to school. They have not Exalted, yet. (& some of them might not... DRAMA!!!)

I need to decide who there parents will be & who their primary guardians in their House will be (because most Dynastic children are raised not by their parents, but by other extended members of their House, like Aunts & Uncles.)

"Are you my Mommy...?"

"No, but I could adopt you. (My own kids avoid me like the plague...)"

There are the usual suspects:

Mnemon (1st Edition- Emperor Palpatine as an eternal 16 yr old girl?) Don't disappoint Mommy, & don't get more powerful/competent then mommy.
    Mnemon (2nd Edition, more sane levels of ambition, horrible actions not discussed/optional?) More of a Machiavellian role-model?
    Tepet Arada (Am I the only one getting an Uncle Iroh/Obi Won vibe?)
    Ragara Myrrun ("Daddy blew up!")
    Peleps Deled (LOL!!! Hard knocks indeed!)
    Ragara Bhagwei (Oh boy. Don't ask for relationship advice or the birds & the bees...)
    Tepet Ejava ("I will raise you on the battlefield!!!" Who wouldn't want grumpy, distaff/ginger Caesar as their Mom/Aunt?)
    Sesus Nagezzer (Speaking about Machiavellian... Also, Jabba the Hut as a parental figure is interesting.)
    The Empress, herself (perhaps unknown to anyone as a surprise. You could get a real Great Expectations vibe with this one.)

Anyone else I forgot who is awesome...

Want to suggest a Super-KEWL OC's you've made???

Please feel free to engage in any crack parings. I was entertaining a possible pairing of the Empress & Sesus (forgetting he is her grandson).
    Last edited by Daredevil; 01-15-2020, 09:12 PM.

Given that the notion of the extended family is something that is derived from real-world traditions in real-world places, I don’t think that “stupid” is the appropriate word for it.

Comment

I think they were being sarcastic Alucard.

As for the few dynast I've made, I try to avoid having a super important dynast as their parents since I figure most players will be jumping onto that train.

Comment

Go big or go home, Saibok Guato. Either still alive, somehow, or finding some of his old stuff and realizing a direct family line connection. There's also Berit from What Fire has Wrought, she's got a half a dozen plotlines all her own about making her own house or baking people or what have you. Bal Keraz, the head of the Imperial Treasury could be kind of cool.

Cynis Cogen could be fun, he's a playboy partyboy drug adventurer turned immaculate monk, he's got a major principle against empty pleasure but a minor one for it as well. He's the uncle that knows better but still can't help but fist bump one of his nieces at some points.

Comment

Iirc, most dynastic children are raised by nannies and tutors and schools, not by aunts and uncles. You might call in an Aunt or Uncle if they have some special skills that you want the kid to learn, but I don’t think they’d necessarily have much more contact than the kid’s parents.

or am I remembering wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
            Iirc, most dynastic children are raised by nannies and tutors and schools, not by aunts and uncles. You might call in an Aunt or Uncle if they have some special skills that you want the kid to learn, but I don’t think they’d necessarily have much more contact than the kid’s parents.

Well, Second Edition held that dynastic children were always handed over to wet nurses as soon as possible to prevent forming an inappropriate maternal bond, and there after the mother pays little personal attention to her offspring, placing them entirely in the care of mortal tutors and nannies.

In Third Edition, while such outsourcing of child care still forms the core of dynastic child rearing, the mother is not required to completely distance themselves (though that is not discouraged either). Loving their children is not frowned upon, but spoiling them is.
            Last edited by Greyman; 01-16-2020, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post

Oh no. Greyman is correct. I am remembering wrong.

I think I am mis-remembering the latter section in 2nd Ed MoEP:tDB pg 19 & some other section I haven't found yet.
              "The average Dynastic household has upward of 100 closely related family members, a dozen or so visiting distant cousins who have yet to strike out on their own, a handful of family friends and 30 to 40 mortals to take care of the cooking, cleaning, tutoring and secretarial matters."

Geez. That is intimidating. How am I supposed to cook up so many NPC's? Or a fraction of that number? I'm writing these posts because I am running on creative fumes, here.

Perhaps I should stick to the misinterpretation?

Also, I really doubt I'd get much traction with a post asking for Forum Members advice on making interesting nannies & nurses. Only one poster answered the question I asked in this Thread (thank you DrLoveMonkey), & I made it multiple choice with 2 write in options (& DrLoveMonkey does get bonus points for the multiple write ins, btw).

Comment

Alfred Pennyworth is a pretty cool Nanny.
                As is Mary Poppins/Yondu.

One of my best 2E games had all the characters be kids of Bhagwei and Banoba. Ragara was the BBEG (well, Ragara and the Ebon Dragon).

If the question is "which Dynast?" the answer is, basically always "Ragara Bhagwei".

Mnemon is also pretty interesting, with plenty of kids. I also really like Berit or V'neef.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Mnemon (3rd Edition): Helicopter matriarch. She will be keeping an eye on your grades and make sure you know if she doesn’t like what she sees.

Comment

Do you know what Houses the PCs will be from? If they're V'neef, for example, then V'neef herself may actually be their mum, for example.
                    Obviously as complex as the Dynasty is, a kid from any house could have Mnemon as paternal grandmother (or great-grandmother,or great-great) but she probably doesn't care much about them if they don't carry her name.
                    So that would narrow it down a bit.

I should say, in my experience, letting players choose their own attached NPCs works best (or give them a whole bunch and see which they gravitate to, but that's more work) as they're more invested in the plot lines and character development it drives (ie "My character has a military-obsessed mother but just wants to be an artist"). But that depends on your players: maybe they don't know anything about Exalted NPCs. And also if there's a player who's a massive fanboy/girl about a certain character, they might be upset if your interpretation of the character is different from theirs.

I play...
                    Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                    Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Originally posted by Chronos12 View Post
                      As for the few dynast I've made, I try to avoid having a super important dynast as their parents since I figure most players will be jumping onto that train.
                      Do you use more 'low key' canon NPC's or OC's you've made? I'd enjoy hearing more, either way.

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                      Go big or go home, Saibok Guato. Either still alive, somehow, or finding some of his old stuff and realizing a direct family line connection.
                      I love the bombast here. No. I was pushing it with the Empress suggestion. I shouldn't... I couldn't... Hmmm...

There's also Berit from What Fire has Wrought, she's got a half a dozen plotlines all her own about making her own house or baking people or what have you. Bal Keraz, the head of the Imperial Treasury could be kind of cool.
                      Are either of them in the earlier Editions? They both sound interesting.

Cynis Cogen could be fun, he's a playboy partyboy drug adventurer turned immaculate monk, he's got a major principle against empty pleasure but a minor one for it as well. He's the uncle that knows better but still can't help but fist bump one of his nieces at some points.
                      Lol! Great ideas all around.

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                      In Third Edition, while such outsourcing of child care still forms the core of dynastic child rearing, the mother is not required to completely distance themselves (though that is not discouraged either). Loving their children is not frowned upon, but spoiling them is.
                      This makes a lot more sense to me. A parent's paternal instincts are extremely powerful, even with a culture negative against such instincts. This newer angle also allows better RP opportunities.

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                      Alfred Pennyworth is a pretty cool Nanny.
                      As is Mary Poppins/Yondu.
                      The Alfred Pennyworth is most intriguing.

How would you stat up Mary Poppins & Yondu?

One of my best 2E games had all the characters be kids of Bhagwei and Banoba. Ragara was the BBEG (well, Ragara and the Ebon Dragon).
                      This sounds fun. Could I hear more?

If the question is "which Dynast?" the answer is, basically always "Ragara Bhagwei".

Mnemon is also pretty interesting, with plenty of kids. I also really like Berit or V'neef.
                      They do have a lot of drama potential. Do any books have additional info on Berit & V'neef?

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                      Mnemon (3rd Edition): Helicopter matriarch. She will be keeping an eye on your grades and make sure you know if she doesn’t like what she sees.
                      I like this direction for the character a lot better than 1st Edition's version of her, which seems to be "Emperor Palpatine meets Pretty in Pink." I can see her character moving in tis direction by the time of 2nd Edition's Scroll of Exalts.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      Do you know what Houses the PCs will be from? If they're V'neef, for example, then V'neef herself may actually be their mum, for example.
                      Exactly. I'm hopping deciding who the guardians/parents are will answer the question of what House the PC's are under. They will all be living in one House (in both senses). They might be siblings (non-identical twins, if necessary) just to keep the PC's split up as little as possible, or related by in-law relations & being raised under one roof.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      I should say, in my experience, letting players choose their own attached NPCs works best (or give them a whole bunch and see which they gravitate to, but that's more work) as they're more invested in the plot lines and character development it drives (ie "My character has a military-obsessed mother but just wants to be an artist"). But that depends on your players: maybe they don't know anything about Exalted NPCs.
                      They know nothing of Exalted. I'm hopping to keep them completely in the dark & have them only know what NPC's tell them, especially, about the Anathema.

I was going to do pregenerated PC's for their first games, just so they can step in & get a feel for the setting & early system differences. (They have limited experience with D&D, & I do not believ any other experience with other games.)

But perhaps it would be simpler to show them some of these NPC's & have them collectively pick, getting them invested with an initial decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Daredevil View Post
                        Do you use more 'low key' canon NPC's or OC's you've made? I'd enjoy hearing more, either way.
                        OC's but I would have them be more or less absents for my character.

Again I tend to assume the either the canon of the major character children is already known or that the other players will likely jump onto it.

Edit: To be clear I haven't played a Dragonblooded game.
                        Last edited by Chronos12; 01-18-2020, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I'd likely stat up Mary Poppins (or Yondu) as god-blooded. Basically normal people who have neat tricks.

In my Ragara game the characters (Banoba's twin sons and Bhagwei's daughter) started fresh out of secondary school. They went North, officially to secure House financial assets, unofficially to gather information to cure the Great Contagion, unbeknownst to them to kill a Lunar. Banoba would write to them, Bhagwei would send Infallible Messenger and between them they would try to herd the PCs into plot remotely. Eventually they returned home from the Threshold, somewhat disillusioned about the Dynasty, to find grandfather had a new lease on life (curtousy of finding the Broken Winged Crane, which in this story would be written by his sister in the future). Wedding Band of the Scarlet Bride empowered Ragara took the Throne, appeasing Mnemon with an unparalleled book of sorcery (which she would later use as the basis of the Broken Winged Crane). Banoba uncovered the conspiracy and paid with his life to warn the PCs, and Bhagwei helped the PCs unleash the Great Contagion on the Imperial City (and was last seen holding back an endless horde of demons led by Mara). Game ended with the Imperial City reduced to a shadowland, Mnemon disappeared and the PCs finding Ragara's corpse missing a finger. (Game was then going to progress to the Bull of the North conquering all the allies they'd made in the North, and the Mask of Winters proposing an alliance to win the territory back... but I started playing a three year Pathfinder campaign so it never happened.)

Whilst staying on the Blessed Isle I had them move to a different cousin's house every session and just winged it with no intention of reusing the same character twice.

Not a lot of info on Berit beyond WFHW. V'neef (as a house) is in pretty much every book about the Realm/Dragon-Blooded.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Are either of them in the earlier Editions? They both sound interesting.
                            Pretty sure Berit’s new.

I like this direction for the character a lot better than 1st Edition's version of her, which seems to be "Emperor Palpatine meets Pretty in Pink." I can see her character moving in tis direction by the time of 2nd Edition's Scroll of Exalts.
                            To be clear she’s still ruthless and ambitious enough for the whole empire, but has a more personable side that members of her house (and only members of her house) tend to see lots of in the course of the helicopter matriarching. Which, if you’re looking for a hilarious curveball twist to throw at a player if the chronicle ever skips a few decades, can potentially include offering them a hand-me-down husband (as in from herself).

Comment

I think I am mis-remembering the latter section in 2nd Ed MoEP:tDB pg 19 & some other section I haven't found yet.
                              "The average Dynastic household has upward of 100 closely related family members, a dozen or so visiting distant cousins who have yet to strike out on their own, a handful of family friends and 30 to 40 mortals to take care of the cooking, cleaning, tutoring and secretarial matters."

Geez. That is intimidating.
                              I'll note that is the only part of any of the Editions that described multiple generations living all at once in a single household, and it was contradicted by several other parts of even Second Edition.

How many children do folks suppose Mnemon has? I imagine somewhere around twenty.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                              Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
                              X