Is it just me...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me...

...or is running 3e kinda like running a rules-light system?

As a player, you've got mechanics underlying everything you do. Delightfully arcane, over-complicated and epic sets of Charms and spells and who knows what. As a GM, you've got... nothing. There are a couple example NPCs, but the entire chapter can more-or-less be summed up as "make up some numbers" and "make up some superpowers."

To me, running 3e was like designing a rules-heavy system. For the exact reasons you cited.

Comment

Originally posted by Grod_the_giant View Post

As a player, you've got mechanics underlying everything you do. Delightfully arcane, over-complicated and epic sets of Charms and spells and who knows what. As a GM, you've got... nothing. There are a couple example NPCs, but the entire chapter can more-or-less be summed up as "make up some numbers" and "make up some superpowers."
      In a way it absolutely is, and I think this is a big reason why 3e clicks with me for ST-ing. A game like e.g. Pathfinder where you have to remember the blood type of the NPC's 3rd aunt for when they activate their 17th Feat is really intimidating for me, whereas Exalted 3e ST-ing is more "yup, imma throw a bunch of dice here. Perfect!".

I mean, you absolutely CAN develop full intricate systems and build full NPCs that put other rules-heavy TTRPGs to shame, and I applaud STs who manage to do it. But you don't have to.

Comment

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA oh wow... Wow... Poor choice of words, wow... Woooooow... Having run a game of Ex3, yeah, no, I never felt like the rules were light. In any sense.

But you are right that the corebook is seriously lacking in a section on how to run a game. Which is one of my bigger complaints about the corebook: There are rules I was able to use for social stuff, for combat, for things that Players would need to do... But in advice on how to, say, build some antagonists, it was a big fat "I dunno, figure it out. What am I, a rulebook?"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

IDK if I'd say rules light, but it does remind me off running GURPS (4e) where there's a very nitty-gritty system for making PCs and as a GM for NPCs you mostly just make up some numbers and effects that seem ok.

Comment

You're not the first person to point this out. I stopped running my essence 5 game partly because of lack of ST resources (at that point, it was literally just the Core Book and Miracles of the Most High, nothing else), and the only friend of mine who plays Exalted in a different gaming group to us told me he enjoyed it, but his ST gave up running it because he found it demanded so much from the ST.

Basically, while the book kind of likes to pretend it's everything, really it's the PhB, and it needs a Monster Manual, and to a lesser extent a DMG. Both of which I think may come out this year actually, though probably not; Hundred Devils Night Parade I suspect will be out later this year, but I am not sure. Adversaries of the Righteous could be this year but I doubt it, and I am expecting Chronicles of Legend (if I remember the title correctly) to be 2021, as this year the Devs will be trying to release Lunars, the Exigents kickstarter with raw text, Heirs to the Shogunate, and Across the Eight Directions, which is a lot.

Still, at least these days there's Arms of the Chosen, a bit of Adversaries, and much more importantly a big chunk of Hundred Devils and the complete Dragonblood, Realm, and raw text of Lunars available. You kids don't know how lucky you have it!

Certainly I have found running my new Lunar game (with DB and Raksha and Demon antagonists) much easier and more enjoyable than my old Solar game, with much more support for an ST, though I am sure that's partly because the PCs have about 60xp rather than 360. It's easier to just throw together the stats for an ice giant or volcano god off the top of my head to challenge Ess1 Lunars than the kind of primordial behemoth or Sidereal conspiracy or Third-circle demon to challenge the most powerful Solars in the entire world.

I play...
            Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
            Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

I thought it was Crucible of Legend.

Comment

Yeah, could be. Either way, there's enough things higher up specifically on the Devs' pipeline (as opposed to other teams, like the Essence team) that I don't expect to see it soon. I'm expecting Lunars, the Exigents kickstarter, Across the Eight Directions and Heirs to the Shogunate first.

Whereas I think that HDNP and Adversaries are primarily a different team overseen by Meghan (?) so Robert and Eric being very busy with other stuff may not mean that the antagonist books have to wait.

The antagonist books are quite useful for running low-essence campaigns (HDNP more than Adversaries), and I hope that the stuff still to go in them (as we haven't seen all of them yet, Adversaries especially) will make them similarly useful for running higher-essencd games.
                Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 01-16-2020, 06:30 PM.

I play...
                Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Vance and I aren't developing Hundred Devils, Adversaries, or Crucible of Legend. Other devs are working on them in parallel. So the work Vance and I are doing on Heirs et al. shouldn't delay those books.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

I got exactly the opposite feeling, and I'm more in line with vwllss trnt prncss Kyman201 and The Wizard of Oz , where as a ST I felt like I had to design everything, because players (and I) grow bored of having no subtilité in challenge from a mechanical perspective because ... there wasn't, so I was doing my best to come up with something. It asked tons of work from me.
                    Last edited by Chausse; 01-17-2020, 08:24 AM.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Definitely looking forward to Crucible of Legend! Should be pretty useful.

That and Exalted Essence, definitely excited about that.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Yesssssss. I must say I'm in total love with the recent home-brew proposed in this thread by aluminiumtrioxid . It's exactly what I would have needed when I started my first campaign 3 or 4 years ago. (with more content of course)

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

I have to say I didn’t realize quite how badly I wanted that kind of thing until my group swapped back to playing DnD. Where the DMG was like “this is what a standard adventuring day should look like. Do you find that your campaigns tend to run a different way? Here are some rules modifications for slower or faster paced games, or games with a more gritty feel valued high fantasy.” Which really helped me understand what I was running wrong about the game and got the feeling that it was really running amazingly well once I read what the game wanted to do. In some more recent exalted one-shots basically I’ve applied some of that to Exalted to some effect, but especially for Solars is really like more.

Likewise with the Monster Manual, with a ton of diverse creatures powerful and interesting enough to be antagonists I never once had to re-use a foe for lack of choice, only when the story warranted it.

Comment

Crucible of Legends is being developed by a separate team (Neall Raemon Price and Monica Speca, I believe), just like Exalted: Essence.

Comment

That is the cost of developers insisting the game is about human drama. You only get the rules for human and human-like characters. Hundred Devils Night Parade shows that the new dev team doesn't hold so strongly to that point of view, but like so much of Ex3 we are years behind in this area due to the mistakes made in the past.

Actually, in a way HDNP makes Exalted come across as a much more exciting, dangerous, exotic, and magical world. In the past if a spirit, rakasha, or exalted wasnt involved most of Creation was presented as very mundane and gritty manner, to hammer home how special the Exalted are.

Comment

Working...
                              X