Is it just me...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

Yeah that's part of it, everyone has big dex, and usually eagle eye awareness and, less commonly, big integrity, even if it doesn't really seem to make sense, or might seem like they twisted their character concept into having it make sense? Like 3 is acceptable Awareness if you're running out of bonus points, but you really should have 5.
    [...]
    Exalted might have a more flat progression than DnD, but I feel for the developers who have to try and come up with antagonists assuming both groups that make circles like Tomb of Dreams and ones like mine.
    I really think that this is due to a strong WoD heritage still present in Exalted. The system gave huge freedom in creating your character, but at the same time simply assumed that you will not abuse it. If players would bring characters with Dexterity 5, combat Ability 5, I'd definitely frown upon them and discuss it. In Exalted, however, this feels very in-genre. After all, this is a kung-fu movie. It's ok that everyone is a martial arts master.

However that, combined with the writers commitment to the given descriptions of skills (they clearly tried to stick to the described scale in the adversaries section) has rather unfortunate result you described. It has an additional effect that character progress seems somewhat distorted (as we recently discussed, my group agreed to nerf the supernal mechanic in order to partially prevent it). This becomes a nuisance to the point where I'm idly wondering whether we really need stats in Exalted or whether we could just make it purely effect-based mechanics (everyone has the same baseline pools which are modified by special exceptions and using your resources).

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
      Unfortunately some groups will do that, but most I’ve seen just assume 5 and a specialty is the minimum combat ability and dex less than 3 is unheard of. Then whatever else for your character concept you want fits in around that. So you have some groups that would really rather not fight Octavian and a battlegroup of Bloodapes, and some that would take that down in a single turn.
      It's kind of a hard one. On the one hand, it can be weird for every character to be good at fighting; on the other hand, fights (especially in a game like Exalted) both take a large amount of table-time and already involve a lot of sitting and waiting and watching everyone else do math. It's bad enough waiting for your turn every round; if you're just waiting for the end of combat, it's painful. Hell, it was painful playing a sorcerer in 2e and having to sit out every other round.

I could do more Charms like Devil-Strangling Attitude that let you use different stats for fighting, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Grod_the_giant View Post
        It's kind of a hard one. On the one hand, it can be weird for every character to be good at fighting; on the other hand, fights (especially in a game like Exalted) both take a large amount of table-time and already involve a lot of sitting and waiting and watching everyone else do math. It's bad enough waiting for your turn every round; if you're just waiting for the end of combat, it's painful. Hell, it was painful playing a sorcerer in 2e and having to sit out every other round.

I could do more Charms like Devil-Strangling Attitude that let you use different stats for fighting, though.
        I'm actually fine everyone being good in combat ; What I'm less a fan of is that it draws every character to have the same "core stats", hence my comparison to DD4. In DD4 your typical wizard can have a not bad armor and be as good as everyone else because he has Intelligence, so apart from the fights he is the one reading the magical runes and whatnot, but he is usually at a disadvantage when climbing the trapped mountain or evading from the rooftops of Nexus, or he has to resort to other tricks that are peculiar to him to do it. But as DrLoveMonkey said, in Exalted your typical wizard, as every other character in most tables I've seen, have 4 Dex, 4-5 Awareness, and actually everyone has that, so they don't stand out in comparison to another in a lot of fields (or rather, they all stand out) except when they have niche Charms.

Yeah I also think that Charms that allows you to change your attribute could be an interesting solution.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Yeah, Lunars have a few, so it's clearly design space they're comfortable with.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Grod_the_giant View Post
            Yes, I'm not actually against every character being a combat badass with 5 resolve per se. DnD does it and it works there. The thing there though is that DnD makes you always like that, unless you're very intentionally trying to make a weak character just to prove you can, at level 20 you can fight an entire town guard all on your own no problem no matter who you are.

With Exalted you could, if you wanted to, have somebody with 2 Dex, 2 Thrown, 1 Dodge, 1 Integrity, 0 Awareness and no armor or artifacts. There's enough stuff that isn't based around fighting that you could definitely make that, and if everyone except the Dawn and maybe one other member of the circle was like that, or even if your circle just didn't have a Dawn, that drastically changes things. Suddenly a cockatrice really is scary, and you might actually do what the writeup suggests and look for a polished mirror to try and get it to lock eyes with itself.

On the other hand with everyone having Awareness 5 and an excellency and a defense of 5-7, enemies like the Manticore really fall short. Which is a bit of an issue when it's just so damned easy to get that, you just have to rely on players playing a bespectacled clumsy twilight not to take 5 Dex and 5 Awareness, which often they do anyway. So do you just expect that that's going to happen and design for it, or do you assume groups are going to be mixed in with more characters that might have only 2 melee or something and build around that?

Comment

Working...
            X