[+] What house rules do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some simpler surface-level ones that I do:

Flat XP (though I actually don't mind bp too much, so don't worry on that).

Having a Langauge Merit doesn't 100% gurantee you speak every language in that Direction. You still more or less can communicate, but depending on how faraway you are, there's a bit of a "learning time" based on some amount of scenes before you can speak. Kirighasti Flametongue to Yangese is probably a scene or two. City of the Steel Lotus might take four or five before you really got a hang of it. Basically folks can Conan-osmosis thier way through a langauage, but I tend to try to encourage a bit more on the differences to make Creaiton feel bigger. (Inspired a bit by Eric Minton's blog post here.)

Mighty Thews Merit is two-dots and just gives two dice instead of scaling, as it kind fo makes it screwy as a Merit otherwise.

I ignore the off-hand penalty and the one-dot version of Ambidextrolus entirely.

I have some tweaks to dice roll stuff. Mainly some alternate Attributes to make Dexterity and Wits a bit less dominating (I just kind of just assume the Lunar Charms get repalced or deleted in sucha cotnext), plus Abilities in some social contexts or Introduce Fact stuff.

And stuff.
    My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Originally posted by ikeulhu View Post
      Definitely, I think a reminder of that rule is good to have, but do we really need to have it told to us three times (two of which could have been word count used for other things we did not get)?
      I actually do think they're kind of distinct if you think context of WW games in general. They always list the Golden Rule (you can change things). That I think is different from the Oricalchum Rule in the sense that it points out "Games aren't physics here" thing. This is kind of a response mostly to how a lot of late 2e went more than anything, where folks got in their heads the mechanics were a physics simulator. It is kind of helpful to be upfront on that. Or the common bits i have seen where "If we assume the mechanics are true, then the setting is wrong." It's basically a resposne to that.

I kinda thing the Storyteller rule fits in that a bit, but it's more a referree rule than the other two. Golden again is "You can change." Oricalchum is "The mechanics aren't physics." And Storyteller is there to basically say "RAI beats RAW", which is different again there. They might be able to be consolidated, but I think that they also show up in the Storypath games by OPP to me indicates that they're not a bad set. It's just that before Exalted 3e, WW/OPP games were explicit about GR, but not the other two.

(Red Rule should have been here instead of social stuff, but later games have takent hat into account too.)

And stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaque View Post
        I have some tweaks to dice roll stuff. Mainly some alternate Attributes to make Dexterity and Wits a bit less dominating (I just kind of just assume the Lunar Charms get repalced or deleted in sucha cotnext), plus Abilities in some social contexts or Introduce Fact stuff.
        Would you mind giving them ? I'm interested

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Originally posted by Chausse View Post

Would you mind giving them ? I'm interested
          Originally taken from Everspace on the Discord and modified for my doc as follows:
          Action Dice Pool
          Disengage Dexterity + (Althetics or Dodge)
          Join Battle (Perception or Wits) + Awareness
          Parry (Dexterity or Stamina) + (Weapon Skill or Resistance)
          Read Intentions (Perception or Wits) + (Investigation or Socialize or Non-Standard Ability)
          Resolve (Charisma or Wits) + Integrity
          Rush (Dexterity or Strength) + Athletics

The Introduce Fact stuff is not quite as thought-out yet and something I wanna go through the Charms related to already to be sure what of htem need worke don.

And stuff.

Comment

I like this. Can each player chose which stats he uses ? Or do you fix the given attribute for everyone once and for all ?

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

I like this. Can each player chose which stats he uses ? Or do you fix the given attribute for everyone once and for all ?
              They're just alt options to build the pool. It's up to players to decide how they pick which.

And stuff.

Comment

I've reduced Solar XP to 1 XP per "instance" but instead of just applying to an individual character the XP is given to every characte. It's still capped at 4 / Session.
                This means that if there's a social heavy game the Dawn doesn't get penalized for not finding something to punch or the other way around.

I'm also using alternative crafting rules and, should it ever come up, an alternative bureaucracy system.

Comment

They're just alt options to build the pool. It's up to players to decide how they pick which.
                  Is it chosen freely by the player or decided by ST based on the context?

Comment

Originally taken from Everspace on the Discord and modified for my doc as follows:
                    Action Dice Pool
                    Disengage Dexterity + (Althetics or Dodge)
                    Join Battle (Perception or Wits) + Awareness
                    Parry (Dexterity or Stamina) + (Weapon Skill or Resistance)
                    Read Intentions (Perception or Wits) + (Investigation or Socialize or Non-Standard Ability)
                    Resolve (Charisma or Wits) + Integrity
                    Rush (Dexterity or Strength) + Athletics

The Introduce Fact stuff is not quite as thought-out yet and something I wanna go through the Charms related to already to be sure what of htem need worke don.
                    It has potential. I'm a little concerned that Wits and Perception seem to be bleeding into each other but aside from that it's pretty logical.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Well, in our game every player has the option to receive an additional 2 [Splat] xp per session for providing a Journal entry or Article of World Building. There has never been a specific amount of word count required, but I always shoot for 1500+ words, though I often go well beyond a 2k word count. . In my opinion, it helps to bring the characters alive, fix the narrative in the minds of players (and characters), and move the narrative forward. But then, I have always been a huge fan of Blue-Booking...

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

Is it me or most house rules are about the craft system and the exp system ?

Comment

Is it me or most house rules are about the craft system and the exp system ?
                          To be fair, both of those systems are ones where people can tweak things without a bunch of immediate implosions.

Comment

Exp makes perfect sense to me. I've been runnning my game for almost 12 years and recognise my requirements there are pretty different to those of most people in this thread.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                              To be fair, both of those systems are ones where people can tweak things without a bunch of immediate implosions.
                              I guess ... that makes sense.

Does anyone have a simple house rule for exp cost in order for them to not be totally unbalanced compared to chargen ? I think the main thing I want is linear cost in Abilities/attributes.

For the moment I'm with something very simple like : 5 pex (-1 favored) for each Ability level, 10 pex for each Attribute level.

Comment

The system I use (credit to Dankmuffins) is basically...
                                Attribute Increase 9xp per dot (7xp Caste/Favored)
                                Ability Increase 4xp per dot (3xp Caste/Favored)
                                Specialty 3xp
                                Purchased Merit 3xp per dot
                                Willpower 8xp per dot
                                The cost of Charms, Martial Arts Charms, Spells, and Evocations is unchanged. Casteless Lunars still get their cost discount for increasing unfavored Attributes (8xp) and buying unfavored Charms (9xp).
                                Remove BP, instead replacing it with a pool of "starting XP" that is spent in place of BP. This is calculated by multiplying the normal BP allotment by 3, so standard Solars and Lunars get 45 and standard Deebs get 54. As stated earlier, if you have leftover "starting XP" (and given the way the costs work, it's very possible for you to have 1-2 of it hanging around), it is converted to splat XP, so you don't miss out on anything by not spending every last point.

While I'm sure there's imperfections, I haven't yet found an issue with it.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

Working...
                                X