No announcement yet.

[+] What house rules do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That seems fine to me. Why not use the BP since the cost are unified, except for the freebies maybe ?

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

BP costs are deliberately designed to encourage Abilities and discourage Charms. So with BP costs people would probably buy less charms and more abilities.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

I guess at this point I could arbitrarily distribute 1 more attribute point, 4 Abilities points and 1 Charm and be done with it. I'll see depending if my group is mechanically saavy or not I guess.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Originally posted by Lanic View Post

Is it chosen freely by the player or decided by ST based on the context?
          Player. Just like they choose whether htey're using Charisma or Appearance when leading troops. Unless they stunt it it's mechancially the same.

I forgot to add, but (Strength or Dexteirty) + (Weapon Ability) for heavy and unarmed hand-to-hand attacks was also something else I'm weighing on. It's also something Lunars have just a Charm for but It hink would not hurt anything if it were the baseline as an option.
          Last edited by Blaque; 01-24-2020, 03:41 PM.

And stuff.
          My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Originally posted by Chausse View Post
            Is it me or most house rules are about the craft system and the exp system ?
            I actually use Craft more-or-less as written. The only things I've considered is 1) Getting rid of basic slots and 2) I make it so that anyone can downgrade white points to gold points isnce they're not very useful for not-Exalts or most games. I think the Solar Charmset is more a culprit to Craft's woes than Craft itself, personally.

And stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
              It has potential. I'm a little concerned that Wits and Perception seem to be bleeding into each other but aside from that it's pretty logical.
              I think generally it's fine since I like having flexibility primarily. So while there's soem bleed, I don't think that's a problem if it encourages diversity in build.

And stuff.

Comment

On the whole XP and Craft thing:

For XP, it seems worth remembering that XP might be the most house ruled thing in all of Exalted. Discussions about merging BP and XP in various forms have been around since 1e. As something that's endured for three editions, for people that aren't just scrapping standard Exalted system for something else, it's got the weight of time on it's "side."

For crafting... well... it's been a fairly contentious thing for 3e. Even for people that generally like the base-line system, it's got some warts on it (made worse by the Solar Craft Charms). And as noted, also like my Sail house rule, it's fairly contained system so it's easy to find a fix that works for you and get to the game.

I know there are a lot of us that want to rework how equipment Tags work (esp. after the release of Scion 2e and Trinity 2e and how weapons and armor got handled there), but mucking with combat takes a lot of time to fine tune that sort of change. I certainly haven't settled on a version of it I'm happy with yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaque View Post

I actually use Craft more-or-less as written. The only things I've considered is 1) Getting rid of basic slots and 2) I make it so that anyone can downgrade white points to gold points since they're not very useful for not-Exalts or most games. I think the Solar Charmset is more a culprit to Craft's woes than Craft itself, personally.
                  Indeed... We use Craft as written... I actually really enjoy the Craft System a lot, and I use it extensively... This without having a single Craft Charm as a Solar.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

1) Ties break in the favour of the player if the stunt is equal.
                    2) Free alternating -1 and -2 HL every 50 earned XP (because I find buying HLs boring)
                    3) You can spend your WP after the roll as a player, I can’t as the ST.
                    4) I have some rules about not stacking Charm buys too high in One Ability/Attribute (which except the Supernal Ability for Solars)
                    5) I’ve slightly changed some of the extended action rules that mean that failing at something big tends to Have Giant Consequences instead of potentially Just Failing.

The main thing I really want to try to houserule well is Helping rules that I can use generically.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanic View Post
                      I had the impression, that this topic was already somewhere in the forum, but now I cannot find it (If I was right, feel free to delete or merge it).

Tell me about you houserules. Especially the smaller ones, one so minuscule that you wouldn't bother mentioning it in other threads. Why you introduced them? Do they fix something you find a bug or do they intentionally change the tone or scope of the game. You can list just some of them which work particularly well.

This is a [+] thread, notation borrowed from another forum, so we generally simply do not criticise other's solutions. What we might do is to suggest some different modifications to the same effect. We may ask one another about the practical effects of the changes etc.
                      I let players call out examples of good roleplaying and give each other a little bonus xp because of it, in general I am more liberal with xp because I like higher powered games, I also give more dots more bonus points for character generation

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                        Exp makes perfect sense to me. I've been runnning my game for almost 12 years and recognise my requirements there are pretty different to those of most people in this thread.
                        When I used to run a Solar game, I didn't give out Solar XP except at the end of stories occasionally. Which sounds awful to some people probably, but that game is now at 485xp+50 Solar xp.

Such long-running games are very different from a new game, where giving out 9xp (5xp+4 Solar/etc) a session can work fine.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

Remembered another: Purchased merits are a flat 3 XP per dot, to avoid the weirdness of Mighty Thew 3 costing twice as much as Fleet of Foot (not to mention way too much in general).

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                            Remembered another: Purchased merits are a flat 3 XP per dot, to avoid the weirdness of Mighty Thew 3 costing twice as much as Fleet of Foot (not to mention way too much in general).
                            This is acutally why I made Mighty Thews a flat 2-dot Merit since it seems actually kind of aberrant in that context of things, since Merits are by default flat anyways.

And stuff.

Comment

In my game we just stuck with me giving out small allotments of BP rather than XP. BPs make creating new characters a lot more fun and intuitive for new players, and honestly it worked fine for a 1 year campaign.

Comment

Character Generation:

I also use XP instead of BP, at all levels:

80/52/40 xp split for Attributes
                                84xp for Abilities
                                39xp for Merits @ 3xp per dot
                                150 xp for charms
                                100 Bonus XP

It allows for slightly stronger starting characters with
                                a bit more breadth and depth.

Charms:

For many charms, if the resolution is too complex, I simplify it to something quick and easy to remember.

EXP Awards:

I'm very generous with XP, as it seems PCs never have enough
                                to actually fulfill their character builds.

Essence:

I've stretched out the Essence per XP ratio
                                as a result of a more generous XP award system.

Comment

Working...
                                X