[+] What house rules do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Characters Joining a Campaign:

Inspired by the (unforgivably terrible) 1st Edition rule (which is new characters get ~55% of base XP with no story awards), new characters joining a campaign get full XP as if they'd been in play from the start, but no Solar XP (subject to my previous house rule about being able to make-up any Solar XP missed out on).

New characters can bypass this and start with full Solar XP, if they take over play of an established NPC, already in the story.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
      New Characters Joining a Campaign:

Inspired by the (unforgivably terrible) 1st Edition rule (which is new characters get ~55% of base XP with no story awards), new characters joining a campaign get full XP as if they'd been in play from the start, but no Solar XP (subject to my previous house rule about being able to make-up any Solar XP missed out on).

New characters can bypass this and start with full Solar XP, if they take over play of an established NPC, already in the story.
      How have the players of new characters taken that rule?
      Have you had anyone opt to start with 0 splat XP? How many sesions in?

Comment

Originally posted by vwllss trnt prncss View Post

How have the players of new characters taken that rule?
        Have you had anyone opt to start with 0 splat XP? How many sesions in?
        I've had one player join 8 sessions in who opted to take over an NPC. She seems happy with it, but also hasn't played Exalted since 1E and wanted me to make her character anyway.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Huh! Just put my current blend together.

All rules related to First Age Artifice are cut. Relevant artifacts are treated just as any other artifact, though some will need maintenance occasionally. (This is unrolled, but will require tools and resources) Craft is one ability: like Lore, your background determines what you can do with it. Craft XP, slots and all associated rules are retained, but the project definitions are altered somewhat.

Minor projects represent any craft based action that can be done immediately or in the short term, including appraisal or repair (now weighted as a full project). Major projects still include long term/large scale mortal craft usage, such as a banquet or a large supply of weapons/armor, but also include the construction of two dot artifacts: these require an extended roll as per superior projects. For all project levels but Legendary, you only need to spend XP for the first roll..

Time to craft artifacts is judged ad hoc, and your base target numbers are 15 for a 2 dot artifact, 30 for a 3 dot, 50 for a 4 dot and 75 for a 5 dot. N/A remains at 200. The difficulty of the roll is determined by the finesse system from Sorcerous Workings

Martial Arts and Brawl are reunified: refer to the ability as Martial Arts and you do not need the merit to access it: your rating allows access to any style you can find a tutor for in story. The canonical Brawl charmset represents a character’s natural techniques, and can be combined freely with the charms of other styles. However, Evocations may not be used in the same instant as Martial Arts charms, barring existing charm specific exemptions.

Artifact weaponry can combine traits (and thus tags) from multiple weapons. Generally this represents a weapon with multiple ‘modes’ such as the classic gunblade. All such combi-weapons are provisionally okayed by me, but their dual nature means combining multiple martial arts through them is something I’d like to be consulted on first.

Thaumaturgy operates on 2E principles of being understandable, codifiable and repeatable by trained mortals. Shamans and astrologers are usually Thaumaturgists, and a fair few sorcerers know a little of the arts too, since the knowledge overlaps with their studies. Thaumaturgy is divided into a set of special merits called Arts: each art runs from 1-3 dots, taking that Merit will allow you to use all rituals of the art through that degree. (There are some thaumaturgical rites that are 0 degree, any character can attempt these with an Occult roll) This goes against some of the design intent in 2E, but is a lot simpler than trying to cost out individual rituals.

All other Thaumaturgical rules will be implemented as per 2E standard to begin with: if someone goes this route, I’ll be looking to see how it does and will make adjustments IC if balance becomes a concern. For anyone without access to 2E the arts are as follows. If any of these interest you, PM me and I’ll be happy to provide you with further information about exactly what Thaumaturgy can let you do with that ability.
          • Alchemy,
          • Astrology,
          • Art of the Dead,
          • Demon Summoning,
          • Elemental Summoning,
          • Enchantment,
          • Geomancy,
          • Husbandry,
          • Spirit Beckoning,
          • Warding and Exorcism,
          • Weather Working.

Last edited by Croakamancer; 01-31-2020, 09:11 PM.

Comment

No Training Times, no Solar XP. Everyone gets 10xp per session and 30-50xp on completion of the Story Arc (5ish sessions).

New characters start at 0 xp but earn triple xp per session until they're halfish way there, and double xp until they catch up. We got this way because the new players felt that making a character and then spending 100 xp was overwhelming.

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
              new characters joining a campaign get full XP as if they'd been in play from the start, but no Solar XP
              I do the same. They also don't get Solar (well, in this game's case Lunar) XP if they miss a session.

But when adjudicating Lunar XP awards, I do go a little softer on the people who are way behind: one player missed like 7 sessions in a row, another came in after maybe 5 or 6 sessions when his previous character died.

I think it's worked fine. I should note that none of my players are playing sorcerers, Martial Artists, or buying evocations though. So everyone actually has pretty much the same amount of charms, it's just some characters have the odd extra dot in low-level secondary Abilities, rounding them out slightly.

I feel this discourages players to not care if their character dies as they can just make a new one, but at the same time doesn't screw new characters. (I played a game once, Qin, where me and another guy went through 4-5 characters while a couple of other players kept the same one. Because our characters had so much less XP, combats were deadly for us while they were easy for the experienced guys.)

I play...
              Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
              Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Couple other little ones about:

I straight-up got rid of off-hand penalties. It's a bit of minutia I don' tthink serves the system well at all. This also results in the one-dot version fo Ambidexterous being deleted since well, it don't do anything.

Heavy weapons have no Defense penalty and Overwelming 2, since I don't see a reason for the former and i there's nothing in the system really taking advantage of the latter.

And stuff.
                My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Originally posted by Blaque View Post
                  Heavy weapons have no Defense penalty and Overwelming 2, since I don't see a reason for the former and i there's nothing in the system really taking advantage of the latter.
                  I like that, mundane heavy weapons need a little extra help and more overwhelming is an important benefit enjoyed by their artifact equivilents.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                  Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

I allow sorcerers who do workings to count the xp spent working an effect towards the spellification of that effect (to avoid xp anxiety around workings).

Sand Creek, or The Inspection of Cracks in the Desert Cecelyne - A Solar buddy travel fanfiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tikor View Post
                      I allow sorcerers who do workings to count the xp spent working an effect towards the spellification of that effect (to avoid xp anxiety around workings).
                      I'm sorry I didn't understand your post. Could you rephrase or give an example ?

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Sure. My sorcerer player wanted a grenade (glass potion) version of Mists of Eventide, as they were planning on a heist. They had several days to prepare, and the sorcerer did not know the spell 'Mists of Eventide'. I allowed the grenade to be prepared as a working (costing the xp).

Later, after the heist, the sorcerer was impressed enough with the results that they wanted to have the effect more 'on-hand', so they paid to buy 'Mists of Eventide' the spell and waited the training time. But I did not charge the full xp price! I only charged the difference between the listed price on page 177 minus the xp they'd spent so far doing workings for the effect of 'Mists of Eventide'.

Sand Creek, or The Inspection of Cracks in the Desert Cecelyne - A Solar buddy travel fanfiction.

Comment

Oh yeah sure that makes sense and it avoids paying a full price for something you already used

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

The most important:
                            Splat XP has a Maximum of 1/player BUT all players gain the xp. So if the dawn ceded the scene, the twilight, eclipse and zenith hit their role bonus then all players get 4 splat xp.
                            Others:
                            A craft re-write
                            (usually) training times are ignored entirely
                            The lose a limb option is not 1/story. (We have had someone who had to lose 3 limbs to survive and it turned into a decent RP moment)

Comment

Originally posted by Whybover View Post
                              2) Free alternating -1 and -2 HL every 50 earned XP (because I find buying HLs boring)
                              Is that in addition to allowing the purchase of Ox-Body technique, or do you remove that charm from the game?

4) I have some rules about not stacking Charm buys too high in One Ability/Attribute (which except the Supernal Ability for Solars)
                              Could I ask you to elaborate on those rules? What kind of limits do you set?

Comment

Here’s one I just came up with this morning:

Rotating Volleys: A battle group can ignore the Slow tag by reducing its Size bonus to attack and damage rolls by one.

Comment

Working...
                                X