[+] What house rules do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanic
    started a topic [+] What house rules do you use?

[+] What house rules do you use?

I had the impression, that this topic was already somewhere in the forum, but now I cannot find it (If I was right, feel free to delete or merge it).

Tell me about you houserules. Especially the smaller ones, one so minuscule that you wouldn't bother mentioning it in other threads. Why you introduced them? Do they fix something you find a bug or do they intentionally change the tone or scope of the game. You can list just some of them which work particularly well.

This is a [+] thread, notation borrowed from another forum, so we generally simply do not criticise other's solutions. What we might do is to suggest some different modifications to the same effect. We may ask one another about the practical effects of the changes etc.

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    Brass Scales Falling is still better the more Attribute + Crafts you have. Open Palm Caress is worse the more Wits + Awareness you have.

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Just remembered one: Instead of requiring you to not win Join Battle to work, Open Palm Caress supersedes the normal cost of delaying your first action (and requires you to do so if you won Join Battle). Because right now it's the only Charm in the game that wants you to have fewer dice in the action it enhances, and that's terrible.
    ACKCHYUALLY ...

Brass Scales Falling p.292 of Exalted 3e Core requires to not use an excellency, but to roll a huge amount of 10 to be worth it. So it just sucks as much

Leave a comment:

• MiracleGrow
    replied
    Players can speak in their human languages while in animal form for free. If the creature in question does not have vocal cords. They can spend a single mote to do it anyways.

Leave a comment:

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    Just remembered one: Instead of requiring you to not win Join Battle to work, Open Palm Caress supersedes the normal cost of delaying your first action (and requires you to do so if you won Join Battle). Because right now it's the only Charm in the game that wants you to have fewer dice in the action it enhances, and that's terrible.

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    You as a player are already in control over whether an attack is withering or decisive, and absent piling on numerous attack Charms, it's pretty easy to have a good idea of how much damage a decisive attack is going to do. If you the ST don't want an NPC to one-shot the weedy demigod, don't throw a decisive attack at him while the NPC has 7+ Initiative.

(I have an example of this from my most recent game session. The ST threw a noodle-armed Abyssal necromancer at us; my character, Knight Raiton, had 21 Initiative, but didn't want to kill her - for one, his fighting style is fairly nonlethal, but also, Lyse wanted to add the necromancer's form to her library of Stolen Faces, so she needed to be the one to secure the kill. So when Knight Raiton's turn came up, he grappled the Abyssal instead.)

​That said, since only PCs are guaranteed to use the XP system, how do you determine NPCs' health?
    Answering in 2 parts :

1) To a certain extent, I don't like too much to treat a player character like "I know you are weak so I'm going to be kinder with you". I, of course, do it all the time depending on the circumstances, but I feel there is more tension if the players don't think I'm just going to be nicer with them. I had overall better results at the table by being more direct on these kind of things, as it had make many situations more deadly and the players felt more the tension, and played accordingly to the stakes I tried to give them.

2) I guess no one reads them (and it's fine, I don't either ), but I have a little home-brew in my signature where I recap of all the pools I expect to use for the NPC's. So I mainly use them in order to determine the NPC's stats, instead of using a character sheet and "doing it like a PC" (which is a design method I really dislike). If I described a rather weak non combattant Exalted, he will most likely be between 7 and 12 health, if it's an Exalted from a War-God I expect to fight well enough he will most likely have around 17 hp, etc ...

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Chausse View Post
    I didn't mention it but that's one of my Houserule : You get (Essence) Ox-Body technique for free, you can pay more if you want. This way I don't feel bad having some strong NPC's because they won't one shot the bureaucratic nerd guy that didn't invest a lot in combat.
    You as a player are already in control over whether an attack is withering or decisive, and absent piling on numerous attack Charms, it's pretty easy to have a good idea of how much damage a decisive attack is going to do. If you the ST don't want an NPC to one-shot the weedy demigod, don't throw a decisive attack at him while the NPC has 7+ Initiative.

(I have an example of this from my most recent game session. The ST threw a noodle-armed Abyssal necromancer at us; my character, Knight Raiton, had 21 Initiative, but didn't want to kill her - for one, his fighting style is fairly nonlethal, but also, Lyse wanted to add the necromancer's form to her library of Stolen Faces, so she needed to be the one to secure the kill. So when Knight Raiton's turn came up, he grappled the Abyssal instead.)

​That said, since only PCs are guaranteed to use the XP system, how do you determine NPCs' health?

Leave a comment:

• adambeyoncelowe
    replied

I didn't mention it but that's one of my Houserule : You get (Essence) Ox-Body technique for free, you can pay more if you want. This way I don't feel bad having some strong NPC's because they won't one shot the bureaucratic nerd guy that didn't invest a lot in combat.
    And even a nerdy demigod is a demigod, so this works.

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post

Personally, I'd tie it to Essence, so that you get Essence x Ox-Body Technique for free. I take your point that 10 HLs isn't a lot.

Leave a comment:

• adambeyoncelowe
    replied

I'm not sure. Having like 10 hp at 150 exp seems kinda low
    Personally, I'd tie it to Essence, so that you get Essence x Ox-Body Technique for free. I take your point that 10 HLs isn't a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post

I would ditch the Charm if you're doing this.
    I'm not sure. Having like 10 hp at 150 exp seems kinda low

Leave a comment:

• adambeyoncelowe
    replied
    Originally posted by Marcob View Post

Is that in addition to allowing the purchase of Ox-Body technique, or do you remove that charm from the game?

Could I ask you to elaborate on those rules? What kind of limits do you set?
    I would ditch the Charm if you're doing this.

Leave a comment:

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    Here’s one I just came up with this morning:

Rotating Volleys: A battle group can ignore the Slow tag by reducing its Size bonus to attack and damage rolls by one.

Leave a comment:

• Marcob
    replied
    Originally posted by Whybover View Post
    2) Free alternating -1 and -2 HL every 50 earned XP (because I find buying HLs boring)
    Is that in addition to allowing the purchase of Ox-Body technique, or do you remove that charm from the game?

4) I have some rules about not stacking Charm buys too high in One Ability/Attribute (which except the Supernal Ability for Solars)
    Could I ask you to elaborate on those rules? What kind of limits do you set?

Leave a comment:

• satoshi
    replied
    The most important:
    Splat XP has a Maximum of 1/player BUT all players gain the xp. So if the dawn ceded the scene, the twilight, eclipse and zenith hit their role bonus then all players get 4 splat xp.
    Others:
    A craft re-write
    (usually) training times are ignored entirely
    The lose a limb option is not 1/story. (We have had someone who had to lose 3 limbs to survive and it turned into a decent RP moment)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X