Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your character do for new year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What does your character do for new year?



    It's Lunar New Year here, and I'm wondering about the thread title. So how does your PC preparing for their New Year in Creation? Are there any kinds of food that they prepare because it's tradition and not because they're delicious? Do they prepare any kind of altars for the gods and ancestor spirits, what if they are "atheist" (Is that even a thing in Exalted??). What happens if your circle is comprising of people from different ethnicities, do they combine all the New Year traditions into one?

    And most importantly, what kind of attire do you wear for the occasion, and how pretty do they look in it?


    The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

  • #2
    At the time in which they are closest to waking, my Zenith sings soothing ritual hymns to the Neverborn to keep them asleep. With a bit of human sacrifice, but don't worry about that.


    I play...
    Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
    Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

    Comment


    • #3
      For the real-world Lunar New Year, my Zenith would probably lead some kind of ceremony welcoming the new year, then indulge in some delicious festival food. She recently gave up her monastic vows and there’s a whole world of food to explore.

      For calibration, she’d celebrate her birthday, then probably punch some unruly spirits.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jen View Post
        So how does your PC preparing for their New Year in Creation?
        Knight Raiton was “born” on Calibration, so he celebrates his birthday.

        Spider lives in Great Forks, so he wanders from party to party for five days straight and hopes he didn’t do anything too regrettable the next day.

        Originally posted by Jen View Post
        Are there any kinds of food that they prepare because it's tradition and not because they're delicious?
        Carter asks his manservant to prepare a soup made from peppers and curry leaves, served with sautéed onions over rice. It’s one of his favorite meals.

        Originally posted by Jen View Post
        Do they prepare any kind of altars for the gods and ancestor spirits…
        Knight Raiton has a shrine to Shalrina in his home. He burns incense annually for the work she did to create his mask.

        His parents didn’t leave ghosts when they died, and if there’s any extended family beyond them, he is unaware of them.

        Originally posted by Jen View Post
        what if they are “atheist?” Is that even a thing in Exalted?
        If you’re defining atheism as the state of being unconvinced of any god-claims, it’s possible, but probably unlikely.

        Originally posted by Jen View Post
        What happens if your circle is comprising of people from different ethnicities, do they combine all the New Year traditions into one?
        …that’s honestly a good question. Half our circle’s from Lookshy, and half is from Nexus. I should ask my fellow players about that.

        Originally posted by Jen View Post
        And most importantly, what kind of attire do you wear for the occasion, and how pretty do they look in it?
        Carter usually goes with something tasteful in a charcoal-gray color, but last time we played out a Calibration session, another PC’s tampering led to him wearing a pink kimono. He looked amazing, thank you.

        As for Spider, the Twilight hasn’t gone out in more than three years except in colorful silk outfits he made for himself; Calibration is no exception.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 01-31-2020, 09:51 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jen View Post
          what if they are "atheist" (Is that even a thing in Exalted??)
          In the literal sense, no, because the gods are physically real. I'd wager almost everyone in Creation has seen one, even if its only from afar at a festival. That being said, I had a Twilight atheist who met ever last god in Great Forks over like 40 years and became convinced that they weren't real and that Sorcery was just "explainable phenomena". She was hysterical.

          For new year/calibration, the malevolent yakuza Smiling Tiger goes around the festivities giving out money, helping out the sick/weak/old, making food for free and taking orders, and then he makes a very public fool out of himself on stage, because Yakuza know you need to give people an out for there stress if you wanna keep them from boiling over.

          Devil Forgemaster Salazan of Salambrimga is maximizing his demon summon potential by using the "thin period" of the 5 days to pull more powerful demons out of Malfeas and forge them into more powerful artifacts.

          Amoral charming sociopath socialite Golden Fan is taking a rare break from ruining the lives of others and ostentatiously spending as much money as he can, because he's better than you are.

          Assassin and ginormus slab of muscle Stray Dog is working a stand in the market square, because he's poor as dirt and doesn't have anyone to kill this week.


          Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
          -Chausse

          Message me for Japanese translations.

          Comment


          • #6
            My Zenith celebrates Calibration by organizing a game night where the game master is Sigereth, The Player of Games, Demon of the Second Circle. Each year only a few people lose memories, years of their lives or feelings towards their loved ones as a result of gambling against Sigereth during the game night, so it's all in good fun.

            Comment


            • #7
              I guess meditating and training always harder in order to reclaim her rightful place as the true spiritual descendant of the Cha'Sca, one of the first and strongest Empire governed by Solars in the First Age (and have an aesthetic close to what you can find on the mural of the illustration of Exalted 3e Core p.21).


              My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                I guess meditating and training always harder in order to reclaim her rightful place as the true spiritual descendant of the Cha'Sca
                All work and no play makes Chasc a dull boy.


                I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Calibration Feast my friend.

                  And/or Calibration Orgy depending on Session 0 expectations.


                  Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Accidentally summon Lucent Wing while trying to help her friend feel better.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

                      All work and no play makes Chasc a dull boy.
                      Especially with intimacies like "Ascetism is the way of the soul" (Major) !

                      As said in the topic about players quirks, I tend to play monk-like characters.

                      I really like the sort of Aztec/pre-Columbus (I don't know how you say it in English) aesthetic that can be found in Exalted


                      My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        How interesting, I noticed that most of the activities here are personal one rather than cultural, I was thinking more about things such as tying red ribbon at night eve on your house’s gate or repel bad spirits or wearing green to symbolize new beginnings.


                        The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jen View Post
                          How interesting, I noticed that most of the activities here are personal one rather than cultural, I was thinking more about things such as tying red ribbon at night eve on your house’s gate or repel bad spirits or wearing green to symbolize new beginnings.
                          Hey now, Calibration Feasts are part of my culture.

                          And, you know, House Cynis.
                          Last edited by JohnDoe244; 01-31-2020, 03:11 PM.


                          Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post

                            In the literal sense, no, because the gods are physically real. I'd wager almost everyone in Creation has seen one, even if its only from afar at a festival. That being said, I had a Twilight atheist who met ever last god in Great Forks over like 40 years and became convinced that they weren't real and that Sorcery was just "explainable phenomena". She was hysterical.
                            Keep in mind that there's a preponderance of non-god god-ish things out there. I can see it being very easy for an individual to meet a bunch of spirits and conclude "Most of these fuckers admitted to not being gods, I'm pretty sure the ones who say they are gods are just liars.". Atheism doesn't have to mean "That god over there doesn't exist", it just has to mean "That 'god' over there isn't a god".

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm unsure this conversation makes sense because of the different significations of the term "god".


                              My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X