Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your character do for new year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jen
    started a topic What does your character do for new year?

What does your character do for new year?

It's Lunar New Year here, and I'm wondering about the thread title. So how does your PC preparing for their New Year in Creation? Are there any kinds of food that they prepare because it's tradition and not because they're delicious? Do they prepare any kind of altars for the gods and ancestor spirits, what if they are "atheist" (Is that even a thing in Exalted??). What happens if your circle is comprising of people from different ethnicities, do they combine all the New Year traditions into one?

And most importantly, what kind of attire do you wear for the occasion, and how pretty do they look in it?

• Chausse
    replied
    Originally posted by The MG View Post
    Not specific to my characters, but I like this bit from the 1e Storyteller's Companion:

I believe there is an ancient Roman tradition that works a bit like that as well.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    Not specific to my characters, but I like this bit from the 1e Storyteller's Companion:

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post

Pre-Columbian is the approved term. Is English your second language? What's your first?
    I'm French, so here we say "Précolombien", which I guess is close.

Leave a comment:

• Sorcerous Overlord
    replied
    Originally posted by Chausse View Post

I really like the sort of Aztec/pre-Columbus (I don't know how you say it in English) aesthetic that can be found in Exalted
    Pre-Columbian is the approved term. Is English your second language? What's your first?

Originally posted by Jen View Post
    How interesting, I noticed that most of the activities here are personal one rather than cultural, I was thinking more about things such as tying red ribbon at night eve on your house’s gate or repel bad spirits or wearing green to symbolize new beginnings.
    Golden Fan keeps the Dyanst tradition of visiting sacred temples and shrines, making an offering and purchasing warding charms. He eats white rice cakes in sweet bean soup and gives out rare fruit as tokens of health and prosperity. So IRL Japan/China.

Stray Dog, despite being an unstoppable assassin and world's strongest man, is deeply deeply superstitious and submissive to spirits and the gods, considering them to be "above" him, because he's been a humble peasant and day laborer for 45 years, and and Exalted for 2. He can't afford what Golden Fan can, so he prays at a free shrine and accepts a warding charm in exchange for a simple gift (he usually makes brightly colored toys out of wood and leaves them at Creaton's version of Jizo statues, the saints of protecting children and travelers). The softie. He buys a fresh fruit and deliberately eats it slowly and carefully, fresh health for a fresh year.

Salazan's people don't really give a shit about Calibration, but since he was raised by soldiers and camp followers as an apprentice blacksmith he celebrates as they do: 5 days of binge drinking, gambling, games, gifts, and sex. Or at least he used to until he became a sorcerer. He still considers it bad luck to kill a mortal during Calibration, a superstition of the soldiers that raised him (because ghosts and shadowlands and shit are much easier to form during Calibration, wars and battles are on an unofficial Christmas Truce type deal).

Smiling Tiger, being a lifelong yakuza, is accustomed to the traditional role-reversal where Yaks give away tons of money and favors to keep people's hate of them down to manageable levels. He and the gang plan out which houses need fixing, who needs food and medicine, when and where to host the money-giving festival, etc. Calibration turns them from vicious killers into tattooed santas. He even makes tea for the tea house girls (prostitutes). He leaves all the religious stuff to Oyabun (the Don).

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    Originally posted by Jefepato View Post

While it's true that non-god spirits are not "gods" in the technical sense, most people in Creation seem to consider "god" synonymous with "powerful thing that wants to be worshiped."

I don't think most demons or elementals would actually say "I'm not a god" unless they were talking to a trained savant and the distinction was important for some reason. There might be demons and elementals who don't understand the distinction themselves -- they're not all smart or educated, to be sure. You want prayer, so you tell the mortals you're their new god and explain the benefits you're offering (and/or detriments you're withholding). Why confuse them with details they wouldn't understand?

You might well get conversations like this:
    Peasant: "Holy shit, it's a god!"
    Savant: "What? No, that's an elemental."
    Peasant: "Right, it's an elemental god."
    Savant: "Ugh, you don't understand, it's not --"
    Elemental: "I don't know what your problem is, book boy. The guy with the hoe understands just fine."
    I also think that there is the peculiar case that the developers informs us via the book that this special caste of spirit is made of gods, which is cool, but I believe many people on earth would disagree to actually call these things "gods" outside of the fiction, because it's not like we got a unique standard definition across culture and time.
    Last edited by Chausse; 02-01-2020, 07:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chronos12
    replied
    Before she became a Eclipse Caste Solar Exalted she traditionally would help the yearly stage play that her mother oversees in her advance age. Robin would the one who wrote the script as she is both a prodigy writer and is quite known for it throughout all the rings of Lookshy. She'd either help with the preparations and set-up or be a standby replacement actor to fill in any role that was needed. Afterwards she would go with her husband and children (undecided how many there are) to the active festival. That I can't help to imagine looks exactly like the stereotypical Japanese festival you see in many anime.

After she became a Eclipse and ran away from Lookshy she's met the god/goddess of Murder and Duplicity and Five-Days Darkness, and was being pursued by a Lookshyian Taimyo for information on a N/A Manse and almost killed several times.
    Hopefully that doesn't become a Calibration tradition.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Hm, my Dawn grew up split between her mortal family and her Elemental mother's court, so her celebrations probably depend on that. One can only imagine the kind of craziness that came up when you're spending Calibration with a bunch of spirits. Maybe she got to taste Ambrosia once upon a time, because her mother felt like spoiling her?

Logically, my Twilight would have a traditional Lookshyan celebration... But the problem with that is that I personally don't know what kinds of things Lookshy does to celebrate the New Year. Do the Immaculate Temples through the city ring out a number of times before the sun rises on the New Year much like many Buddhist temples do in Japan? Do they ring FIVE times to represent the dark sinful variants of the Immaculate Dragons? If they do, maybe my Twilight would ring a small bell himself when he's away from Lookshy before tucking into what Lookshyans consider a traditional meal.

Trouble is, I don't know how Lookshy celebrates the New Year, as that wasn't put in the Dragonblood Book. I can definitely see him as being the sentimental type who wears the overly stiff and restrictive formal robes if he manages to sneak back into Lookshy to celebrate with his family, not because he likes the robes, but because his mother does. And he's definitely the type to happily eat whatever traditional soups or maybe mochi-analogue is served at New Years, less out of actually liking the food and more because it's a celebration food.

re: What Is A God? - I think there's a sidebar in one of the books that basically amounts to "Most mortals can't tell a Wood Spider from a Demon from a Ghost-Blooded, lacking the special training. Most of them just assume Whatever Weird Thing they saw is a God and tell a local priest, who PROBABLY has half an idea of what to do and if they need to talk to the Immaculates"

Leave a comment:

• Jefepato
    replied
    Originally posted by vwllss trnt prncss View Post

Keep in mind that there's a preponderance of non-god god-ish things out there. I can see it being very easy for an individual to meet a bunch of spirits and conclude "Most of these fuckers admitted to not being gods, I'm pretty sure the ones who say they are gods are just liars.". Atheism doesn't have to mean "That god over there doesn't exist", it just has to mean "That 'god' over there isn't a god".
    While it's true that non-god spirits are not "gods" in the technical sense, most people in Creation seem to consider "god" synonymous with "powerful thing that wants to be worshiped."

I don't think most demons or elementals would actually say "I'm not a god" unless they were talking to a trained savant and the distinction was important for some reason. There might be demons and elementals who don't understand the distinction themselves -- they're not all smart or educated, to be sure. You want prayer, so you tell the mortals you're their new god and explain the benefits you're offering (and/or detriments you're withholding). Why confuse them with details they wouldn't understand?

You might well get conversations like this:
    Peasant: "Holy shit, it's a god!"
    Savant: "What? No, that's an elemental."
    Peasant: "Right, it's an elemental god."
    Savant: "Ugh, you don't understand, it's not --"
    Elemental: "I don't know what your problem is, book boy. The guy with the hoe understands just fine."

Leave a comment:

• vwllss trnt prncss
    replied
    Originally posted by Chausse View Post
    I'm unsure this conversation makes sense because of the different significations of the term "god".
    Sir, you are being entirely too reasonable on the internet. I need you to rectify this by comparing somebody to Hitler.

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    I'm unsure this conversation makes sense because of the different significations of the term "god".

Leave a comment:

• vwllss trnt prncss
    replied
    Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post

In the literal sense, no, because the gods are physically real. I'd wager almost everyone in Creation has seen one, even if its only from afar at a festival. That being said, I had a Twilight atheist who met ever last god in Great Forks over like 40 years and became convinced that they weren't real and that Sorcery was just "explainable phenomena". She was hysterical.
    Keep in mind that there's a preponderance of non-god god-ish things out there. I can see it being very easy for an individual to meet a bunch of spirits and conclude "Most of these fuckers admitted to not being gods, I'm pretty sure the ones who say they are gods are just liars.". Atheism doesn't have to mean "That god over there doesn't exist", it just has to mean "That 'god' over there isn't a god".

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe244
    replied
    Originally posted by Jen View Post
    How interesting, I noticed that most of the activities here are personal one rather than cultural, I was thinking more about things such as tying red ribbon at night eve on your house’s gate or repel bad spirits or wearing green to symbolize new beginnings.
    Hey now, Calibration Feasts are part of my culture.

And, you know, House Cynis.
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 01-31-2020, 03:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

All work and no play makes Chasc a dull boy.
    Especially with intimacies like "Ascetism is the way of the soul" (Major) !

As said in the topic about players quirks, I tend to play monk-like characters.

I really like the sort of Aztec/pre-Columbus (I don't know how you say it in English) aesthetic that can be found in Exalted

Leave a comment:

Working...
X