Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Wan Kuei still tied in to Exalted like they used to be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Wan Kuei still tied in to Exalted like they used to be?

Or did they get rid of that connection in Third Edition?

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    Or did they get rid of that connection in Third Edition?

Honestly, I don't think the connection was ever so strong as to be described as them being "tied in". Very, very early on in Exalted 1e's development, it was pictured as "the prehistory of the World of Darkness", but I don't think that conception even survived to the actual publishing of the 1e core book. Exalted used some terminology from Kindred of the East and Wraith: The Oblivion, but it would be unwise to assume that characters or concepts from those game lines were "really" the ones from Exalted, now advanced by millennia or more.

Certainly, by even 2e times, the whole concept was totally abandoned, and 3e definitely doesn't hold to it at all.

Comment

Thank you! I didn't know that.

Comment

If you would like to draw a connection, boy dose Holden have something for you!

1d4 Chan (Wan Xian in Exalted vs World of Darkness, & a part of a larger article that did a great job of summarizing this project)

Exalted vs The Wold of Darkness (Download 1)

Exalted vs. The Wold of Darkness Companion (Download 2)

Originally posted by Exalted vs World of Darkness Companion, pg 7
        Were the Wan Xian Dragon-Blooded?

I’ve left that deliberately ambiguous. It’s possible that the Wan Xian were a few families of Dragon-Blooded that fell into bed with the Yama Kings and were punished for their temerity. My personal assumption is that they weren’t Dragon-Blooded, but were instead some undocumented variety of Exalted who are now effectively extinct. It’s alsopossible that they were some sort of latter-day creation that were similar to the Chosen but not identical to them. Ultimately,it’s your call. The Dragon-Blooded themselves don’t really know; even by their very long-lived standards, all that stuff happened a verylong time ago
        Please tell me what you think.

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
        Certainly, by even 2e times, the whole concept was totally abandoned, and 3e definitely doesn't hold to it at all.
        Return of the Scarlet Empress (2nd Ed book) dose some leaning into the World of Darkness with one of the possible fates of The Ebon Dragon. Mainly it is suggested that if he becomes a Neverborn he will add more power to the Neverborn and allow them to move.

This makes them much more like the Neverborn found in Wraith: The Oblivion & other WoD books that depict them. I believe this was a deliberate nod/example of how Exalted's Creation can possibly become the Wolf of Darkness (or more like it), depending on the actions of the PC's & ST.
        Last edited by Daredevil; 02-04-2020, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Bleh, I think WoD and Exalted are different enough that I kind of don't want any official ties between them.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
            Bleh, I think WoD and Exalted are different enough that I kind of don't want any official ties between them.
            Yeah. It feels very "railroaded" if it is an absolute future for the setting.

Though I get a great kick out of it being an optional thing, or just a source for inspiration & more material to plunder.

I loved the little stuff in Return of the Scarlet Empress about how things can get worse & Creation can start looking more & more like the WoD as the Wheel of Ages turns, depending on PC & ST actions. It was all suggestions & idea fodder & good stuff.

The fan work by Holden hits a similar sweet spot for me.

I love Exalted can draw inspiration from WoD, but doesn't have to.

Comment

One of the NPC's in the Kindred of the East companion was a surviving Golden child from the second age.

Comment

Connections between the two got trimmed back to "cheeky in-reference" a long time ago and stayed there, which was why you had Autochthonian Polar Mutants from the Crystal regions referred to as "Glass Walkers", for example. They have nothing to do with Lunars or Garou, but the apellation is spot on for use in Exalted.

Originally posted by rickayelm View Post
                One of the NPC's in the Kindred of the East companion was a surviving Golden child from the second age.
                Completely different second ages and golden children, there.

Comment

Daredevil I like Holden’s personal assumption. Thanks for posting that 😊.

Comment

During the very early development of Exalted, the game line was intended to be the pre-World of Darkness. However well before the game was published, they changed developers. Grabowski came in, rewrote a bunch of ideas and made Exalted its own game that wasn't officially linked to theWorld of Darkness.

There were still elements and terminology (Malfeans, the whole Underworld, Autochthon, etc.) but those were just fun references and easter eggs rather than indicative of an an official tie.

Comment

I would point out that the blurb on the back of 2e talked it being the world's history... but honestly you guys are right.

I play...
                      Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                      Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

In terms of Exalted being the past of WoD, or perhaps more accurately / ambiguous a "forking path" of Exalted's world (a path not taken by the Sidereals) being the past of WoD, I get by people wouldn't necessarily be into that, now.

On the other hand, I do really like the kind of long term dynamism implied by that history, where the Exalted and everything in the world of Exalted can become these almost totally unrecognizable quite different things with thematic connections and there's being either a garbled understanding of true history, or multiple wholescale rewritings of reality since.

Even if WoD is not taken as the "true future" of Exalted, I like that quality compared to an alternative of sort of, y'know, "Oh, well the nature of the Celestial Exaltations is eternal and immutable, and they will always be around, doing their thing" and the like.

Comment

I agree with you about the dynamism.

I certainly find it interesting to consider the transitionary state between the Second Age of Exalted and the Fourth Age of Earth (which starts after the Bronze Age Collapse).
                          What comes between Lunars and Fera? Abyssals and Vampires? Dragonblood and Kuei-Jin? Etc.
                          Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 02-05-2020, 09:55 AM.

I play...
                          Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                          Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

You can use the connections if you want or not use them if you want. The Exalted vs World of Darkness is a good link to draw connections. I've done some headcanon stuff like the Beast Courts of the Emerald Mother was started as a Pack of Lunars, and the Garou Nation's Western Concordiat was another pack of Lunars (the totems being the Lunars). Revised Get of Fenris Tribebook has some interesting Exaltedy links, basically Fenris very much seemed to be a Strength specialty Lunar, he had a Solar Mate. Wotan was a Solar he didn't like, when he died he seemed to come back all Necromantically Coughabyssalcough.

But basically Creation doesn't have to become our Earth. If it does it doesn't have to become the World of Darkness, but personally if I were to make it turn into Earth I would make it become the World of Darkness.

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                            Is your sig new? Because that is one of my favorite sigs. :P

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

Is your sig new? Because that is one of my favorite sigs. :P
                              Nope. Had it for years

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Working...
                              X