How do you make art ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you make art ?

So we all know the Craft system has its flaws, let's say, but a particular lack I would like to discuss with you in this game is "Art". I've had a few share of players with Craft wanting to to paintings, statues, etc ... that impress people but I haven't find an easy solution about it. Make it a sub-part of Performance ? Why not ? Does any one have good ideas of Charms about Art (sculpture, painting, etc ...) ? I guess simple and straight Charms would be like "First time someone sees this thing they must resist a roll of X or be inspired by these Y feelings" or something along those lines

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Originally posted by Chausse View Post
    "First time someone sees this thing they must resist a roll of X or be inspired by these Y feelings"
    That's a Lunar charm called God-Beast Idolatry.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

Oh that's cool I need to look this up. With which ability does it work ?

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Oh that's cool I need to look this up. With which ability does it work ?
        Craft or Linguistics
        Last edited by Slulura; 02-07-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Lunar Charms work off Attributes.

But there's a Dragon-Blooded Craft Charm that might interest you on page 188 of WFHW:

Passion-Inflaming Artistry
          Mins: Craft 4, Essence 2

The Dragon-Blood’s labors are suffused with the pas-
          sionate Essence of fire. She undertakes a basic or major project to craft a painting, sculpture, meal, or similar art object that’s primarily aesthetic or ornamental in function. Major projects benefit from (Essence) non-Charm dice. She chooses an emotion to be conveyed through her craftsmanship, and treats the Craft roll used to complete the project as an inspire roll (Exalted, p. 217) to spread that emotion to any character who engages with the object if his Resolve is beaten by her successes — a painting of a historic battle could inspire courage in those who gaze upon it, while a bowl of noodles flavored with sorrow could bring tears to the eyes of anyone who eats it. This effect lasts (Essence + Charisma) days from the project’s completion, after which its supernatural potency fades.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for. Is it safe to say that without Charms characters cant engage with the social system solely by making a piece of art then ?

Comment

Is it safe to say that without Charms characters cant engage with the social system solely by making a piece of art then ?
              I'd say that it's more safe to say that absent Charms, characters don't usually get to engage with the social system solely by making a piece of art. Naturally, though, in instances where the Storyteller feels it's reasonable, some interaction with the social rules occur.

Comment

Someone on this forum suggested a houserule to let Linguistics cover art-as-social skill (possibly simply by letting Linguistics charm be bought with minima in Craft instead of the native skill, and applying them to, say, Craft: Scuplture).

Comment

Passion-Inflaming Artistry is an important precident because allowing someone to sculpt a statue that’s communicating a complex message irrespective of language or literacy and constantly trying to brainwashing everyone who sees it until someone covers it up or smashes it is bullshit good.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                  Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Linguistics (Written Works) engages with the Social Influence part of the system innately.. The charms just make it better.
                    As for Most Arts - They would fall under the Craft System. Which also works with the Social Influence system Innately (You can inspire Intimacies with Crafts when giving gifts, etc.) And as for Many of the Social Systems, I would use the guidelines for Linguistics for Inspirational Art )see below)..

Linguistics Sidebar, Page 322
                    With written social influence, roll (Attribute + Linguistics) the moment the character finishes the composition and record the successes. The character must use any enhancing magic she knows at the moment this roll is required [if she is wanting to use magic to enhance it], because once she has finished encoding her work with magic, she may not alter it again without magic specifically for this purpose.

So, Standard Influence Rolls, recorded at the moment of artistic creation, then compare to the Resolve of the Viewer. after any relevant intimacies are put in place to either raise or lower Resolve. .
                    Last edited by Tymeaus Jalynsfein; 02-11-2020, 12:40 PM.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

Originally posted by Tymeaus Jalynsfein View Post
                      Linguistics (Written Works) engages with the Social Influence part of the system innately.. The charms just make it better.
                      As for Most Arts - They would fall under the Craft System. Which also works with the Social Influence system Innately (You can inspire Intimacies with Crafts when giving gifts, etc.) And as for Many of the Social Systems, I would use the guidelines for Linguistics for Inspirational Art )see below)..

Linguistics Sidebar, Page 322
                      With written social influence, roll (Attribute + Linguistics) the moment the character finishes the composition and record the successes. The character must use any enhancing magic she knows at the moment this roll is required [if she is wanting to use magic to enhance it], because once she has finished encoding her work with magic, she may not alter it again without magic specifically for this purpose.

So, Standard Influence Rolls, recorded at the moment of artistic creation, then compare to the Resolve of the Viewer. after any relevant intimacies are put in place to either raise or lower Resolve. .
                      So it's a Craft Roll vs Resolve ?

Comment

Well, I would make a craft roll to create the piece of Work... And then when embedding the Social Influence, I would go with Craft + Social Attribute to embed an Instill or Inspiration (As the Standard Social Action described on p213).... Written Works use Linguistics + an Attribute (we used Charisma in my case) to embed the social influence portion due to linguistics being the Written Word. Crafting would Use Craft + Social Attribute to do the same.

It is a pretty elegant system, really
                        Last edited by Tymeaus Jalynsfein; 02-11-2020, 01:16 PM.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

Originally posted by Tymeaus Jalynsfein View Post
                          Well, I would make a craft roll to create the piece of Work... And then when embedding the Social Influence, I would go with Craft + Social Attribute to embed an Instill or Inspiration (As the Standard Social Action described on p213).... Written Works use Linguistics + an Attribute (we used Charisma in my case) to embed the social influence portion due to linguistics being the Written Word. Crafting would Use Craft + Social Attribute to do the same.

It is a pretty elegant system, really
                          Would you modify passion inflaming artistry under those rules?

Comment

I don't think that you would need to... would not Passion Inflaming Artistry just allow a replacement of the Social Attribute used to Complete the project and generate the Inspiration of the completed work instead of a Social Attribute.

Hmmm... Of course, if you actually used Passion Inflaming Artistry, rather than normal Social Action Roll (Craft + Social Attribute), when the Charm Fades, the essence is gone and it no longer supernaturally Inspires... Which may be an issue, Since Artistic works using the guidelines of Social Actions would inspire indefinitely, this would make the Charm a bit less useful,. So, in that regard, I would make the following change (which is not really a change of the Charm, other than using Social Attribute rather than whatever Attribute the Craft would use)... This is a bit off the cuff, so bear with me...

Use Passion Inflaming Artistry with the Social Action to provide a double baseline... basic Social Action provides the Standard Success level that interacts with Resolve to Inspire... the Charm would add additional Successes for the Requisite time-frame of the charm that would supernaturally enhance the successes over that time. For example... the Painter creates a fantastic Portrait that inspires Sadness... Painter rolls Craft (painting) plus Manipulation, gaining [Essence} Non-Charm Dice due to Passion Inflaming Artistry and makes their roll. The base roll provides 4 success and the Non-Charm Dice add 2 more.. This sets the Success at 6 for Essence + Charisma Days (Due to the Charm) and then drops to 4 from that point on...

So not really any change, at the baseline, but the Charm still has an effect for the Duration of the Charm's effect. Does that make any sense?

Comment

Also drop the setting it has for basic projects? Or would you I’ve or add the non-charm dice to basic projects as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X