No announcement yet.

How do you make art ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, not sure how I’d change Passion-Inflaming Artistry accordingly but I also don’t see the problem with allowing (Charisma or Manipulation) + Craft rolls to make art that conveys social influence, give or take message complexity limitations and maybe the Resolve bonus for nonverbal.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
      Also drop the setting it has for basic projects? Or would you I’ve or add the non-charm dice to basic projects as well?

I would not have an issue adding the Non-Charm [Essence} Dice of Passion Inflaming Artistry to Basic Projects, to be honest...

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

By default, Craft lets you make things that, at the storyteller’s discretion, can cause someone to gain an intimacy towards you. Now, as this is one of the craft rewards, they are encouraged to let you have this, but it doesn’t actually engage with the social influence system, at least not directly. Alternately, if you know that a particular person likes a particular type of thing, you could craft the thing and use it as leverage in Bargain rolls, but that’s still not directly engaging the social system with craft.

Linguistics, on the other hand, allows you to stick social influence on objects and has lots of charms relating to said influence attempts, but does not by default allow you to make sculptures or paint or anything like that.

Personally, were I writing the system, I’d rewrite Linguistics into Artistry and have that cover the primarily aesthetic forms of making stuff. As is, if you really need to have a thing that has a social influence built into it, I’d allow a Linguistics roll to stick an Inspire effect onto any object that doesn’t have writing on it.

As for Passion-Enflaming Artistry, you really cannot just give that charm to a Solar. Unless you like the idea of someone getting 75 successes on a social influence roll anyway. Craft gets some BS dice tricks, because the difficulties for building artifacts are so high.

Generally speaking, you don’t ever want someone to roll Craft for anything else, not combat nor social influence, because of all of its dice tricks.

Comment

Except that it explicitly does allow Other Abilities to implement Social Influence...

Social Influence. Page 213...
          The core of the social influence system is the influence roll. The dice pool for an influence roll is always one of your social Attributes (Charisma, Manipulation, or Appearance) plus a relevant Ability, against a difficulty of the Resolve rating of the character you’re trying to influence. Successful influence rolls allow you to alter a character’s feelings or beliefs or to convince him to do something for you, based on the social action or Charm used.

​I would decouple the Crafting of the actual Item from the Embedding of the Social Influence... Thus, most Crafting Charms would not be usable for Social Influence... Much like I/we use the Linguistics plus Social Attribute to embed the Influence... It is a different roll from the actual written text itself. The crafting of a book and its illuminated contents are the work of crafting (either Linguistics or Craft depending upon the actual ability used)... the embedded Social Influence is the Craft (or Linguistics) plus the Social Attribute used to impart that influence.

One is how well you actually made the Piece.
          The other is how well you embedded your Social Influence within the piece.

If that makes sense.
          Last edited by Tymeaus Jalynsfein; 02-11-2020, 04:14 PM.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

Splitting the rolls also stops expert crafters from also packing a big social punch. Although I might limit it mostly to inspire rolls, and possibly with a penalty depending.

Comment

Yeah, that is how we looked at it as well...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                As for Passion-Enflaming Artistry, you really cannot just give that charm to a Solar. Unless you like the idea of someone getting 75 successes on a social influence roll anyway.
                Sounds fine to me, Resolve already isn’t the major obstacle for social Solars and threshold successes don’t do anything so congrats on the 60 of those 75 that will literally never matter (give or take the one Lunar Charm that gives a bit a non-Charm Resolve).

Comment

Working...
                X