Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most and least popular supernal abilities?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the most and least popular supernal abilities?

What do you think are the most and least popular Supernal Abilities are for Solar characters, among 3e Exalted's player base? Or which are most or least popular in your groups?

I don't care for this which ones are actually the best / worst, just which ones people are more likely to want to play with.

I would guess (from neither playing a lot nor surveying a bunch of players about this - just intuition):

Most popular: Craft (powerful and unique), Melee (most versatile combat ability)

Fairly popular: Archery, Brawl, Martial Arts, Thrown (all the combat abilities seem like solid choices), Performance, Presence, Socialize (same with all the social abilities), Investigation, Larceny, Occult, Stealth, War (seem like the centerpiece of cool characters)

Not sure: Athletics, Lore, Medicine, Sail, Survival

Fairly unpopular: Awareness, Dodge, Integrity, Resistance (not really clear what it says about your character to be great at these, but probably pretty useful)

Least popular: Bureaucracy, Linguistics (most likely to seem boring / not useful in every situation), Ride (not boring but very limited in applicability)

I'll break it down by caste

Dawn: Melee

Zenith: Survival

Twilight: Craft

Night: Stealth

Eclipse: Sail

At least in my experience.

Comment

The least popular are probably easy to guess at.

Dawn: Awareness

Zenith: Lore

Twilight: Integrity

Night: Ride

Eclipse: Linguistics

Mostly ones that weren't in the core five for the 2.0 castes, except for the Eclipse, mostly because the Linguistics tree isn't very powerful and only works for a very particular character type. I'm less certain about the Zenith ones, mostly because it's easy to imagine a character type based around any of their supernals.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
        I'll break it down by caste

Dawn: Melee

Zenith: Survival

Twilight: Craft

Night: Stealth

Eclipse: Sail

At least in my experience.
        Sail? Really? Eclipses have a great list. People dying to play Solar Jack Sparrow? Lol.

Comment

Here's a breakdown of the Supernals I've seen in play (and can remember).

Knight Raiton: Socialize
          Invisible Horse Princess: Stealth
          Robin Vaara: Linguistics
          ​Regi Jinete: Archery
          Spider: Lore
          Misu: Sail
          Barbus: Brawl
          ​Seamstress: Medicine

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post

Sail? Really? Eclipses have a great list. People dying to play Solar Jack Sparrow? Lol.
            I should say I don't see a lot of eclipses outside of games where people want Supernal Sail.

Comment

I can't really explain it, but I find the adventurous themes of sailing-based fantasy adventures very inspiring, and would like to do a Sail-heavy game at some point.

This must be fairly common - I mean, the West is in Creation for a reason, right?

Comment

C'mon, you know better than that - not everyone with a boat is Jack Sparrow.

Comment

My group was:
                  Dawn: Melee, Zenith: Resistance, Twilight: Craft, Night: Stealth, Eclipse: Bureaucracy. The Twilight was going to go Medicine before noting that all the charms they wanted in that tree were ESS 1.

On the list of characters I made but will probably never play were a Performance Zenith and a War Dawn.

Comment

Between what I've seen and played...
                    Resistance Dawn, War Zenith, Craft Twilight, Socialize Eclipse, Linguistics Eclipse, Athletics Zenith, Linguistics Eclipse again, Lore Twilight, Occult Twilight, Brawl Dawn, Performance Zenith, War Dusk, Dodge Night, Socialize Eclipse again, War Dawn, Occult Twilight again, Melee Dawn, War Zenith again, Brawl Dawn again, Larceny Eclipse, Larceny Eclipse again, Stealth Night, Bureaucracy Twilight I think, Melee Dawn yet again. At least, as far as I remember, and not really counting many characters I have wished to play but the game died stillborn, etc.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

I'm a little sad for Night Supernal because I feel like Stealth was the post picked.

I personally picked Athletics and went almost only Athletics. It was fun because you can do basically whatever you want in any action scene in term of mobility, which is cool. But other than that there are a lot of non-fun Charms once you passed the cool Essence 1 Charms to run everywhere, and the quite few that allows you to jump and fly like crazy

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                        I'm a little sad for Night Supernal because I feel like Stealth was the post picked.

I personally picked Athletics and went almost only Athletics. It was fun because you can do basically whatever you want in any action scene in term of mobility, which is cool. But other than that there are a lot of non-fun Charms once you passed the cool Essence 1 Charms to run everywhere, and the quite few that allows you to jump and fly like crazy
                        The way the Caste is marketed, I can't see anything but Stealth being the primary pick. You're the sneaky guy so of course you take the sneaky guy thing.

Comment

Originally posted by vwllss trnt prncss View Post

The way the Caste is marketed, I can't see anything but Stealth being the primary pick. You're the sneaky guy so of course you take the sneaky guy thing.
                          So I did a Night with 0 stealth and full Athletics and I played very Dawny. Yeah I agree that with the marketing of the Castes you have to be a bit inventive, that's why I appreciate the existence of the Castes for the lore and feeling, but I find them a bit poorly "designed" into what they build mechanically.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Originally posted by vwllss trnt prncss View Post
                            I can't see anything but Stealth
                            Which is the exact opposite of what I'd expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Chausse View Post

So I did a Night with 0 stealth and full Athletics and I played very Dawny. Yeah I agree that with the marketing of the Castes you have to be a bit inventive, that's why I appreciate the existence of the Castes for the lore and feeling, but I find them a bit poorly "designed" into what they build mechanically.
                              Were you able to get Role XP reliably?

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                              Which is the exact opposite of what I'd expect.
                              You'd think that, but man all those Awareness charms that only help against sneaking enemies and nothing else. Stand right in front of me and I might miss you, duck behind a shrub and it's like you're on fire.
                              Last edited by vwllss trnt prncss; 02-13-2020, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X