Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most and least popular supernal abilities?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Epitome View Post
    Here is what I've seen :

Archery
    Athletics
    Awareness
    Brawl (Martial Arts) x2
    Integrity
    Investigation
    Lore
    Medicine x2
    Melee x3
    Presence
    Occult
    Sail
    Socialize x2
    Stealth x3
    Survival x2
    War

Thrown Supernal is actually soft banned in our games because our group's theorycrafter concluded that you can basically one-shot anything if you Supernal in Thrown.
    I'm pretty sure you can one shot a lot of things with any supernal, right ? Like DrLoveMonkey Example killing Octavian, Fahrat, Ahlat and someone else in one or 2 rounds with a supernal melee.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Originally posted by Chausse View Post

I'm pretty sure you can one shot a lot of things with any supernal, right ? Like DrLoveMonkey Example killing Octavian, Fahrat, Ahlat and someone else in one or 2 rounds with a supernal melee.
      Yeah, it's more the combination of one shot anything + stealth which feels like it could lead to degenerate gameplay where the character can just walk up to any final boss and end them before the campaign even starts. At any rate we could be wrong, it's just how Thrown is perceived at our table.

Comment

Originally posted by Epitome View Post

Yeah, it's more the combination of one shot anything + stealth which feels like it could lead to degenerate gameplay where the character can just walk up to any final boss and end them before the campaign even starts. At any rate we could be wrong, it's just how Thrown is perceived at our table.
        Just about any combat Supernal combined with Stealth can lead to that. Might be slightly easier with Thrown since you do not need to get as close, but even that is usually not a problem with the other combat abilities if you take the right charms.

Comment

Originally posted by prototype00 View Post

Sail? Really? Eclipses have a great list. People dying to play Solar Jack Sparrow? Lol.
          Yep, Really...

We have:

Martial Arts Supernal (Dawn)
          Lore Supernal (Twilight)
          Athletics Supernal (Night)
          War Supernal (Zenith)
          Craft Supernal (Twilight)
          Stealth Supernal (Night)
          Archery Supernal (Dawn)
          Sail Supernal (Eclipse)

Solar XP is pretty steady for all the Characters, to be fair... All of us more often than not get the Roll Xp for Solar Caste.
          Last edited by Tymeaus Jalynsfein; 02-13-2020, 03:51 PM.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

Comment

Thanks to everyone who gave me a list! My count is now

Stealth 11
            Craft 10
            Melee 9
            Socialize 9
            Athletics 8
            Occult 8
            Lore 7
            War 7
            Linguistics 6
            Performance 6
            Survival 6
            Archery 5
            Martial Arts 5
            Medicine 5
            Resistance 5
            Brawl 4
            Sail 4
            Larceny 3
            Presence 3
            Bureaucracy 2
            Dodge 2
            Integrity 2
            Awareness 1
            Investigation 1
            Ride 0
            Thrown 0

Last edited by habitableexoplanet; 02-13-2020, 04:01 PM. Reason: weird formatting

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

This is somewhat true; I honestly think the best way to make a character is to not pick your Supernal ability until after you've picked your concept and Caste, because (except for combat abilities) there's a lot of Supernals that are only for one Caste, but might well fit a character who's not about what that Caste is about.
              I did a double take when I couldnt make a Ride Supernal Dawn, considering the 2 trees in Ride are "go fast" and "fight as partners". But Night caste can Supernal Ride? What the fuck.

Mongols anyone? Calvary? Ride should be in the Warrior's purview.
              Last edited by Sorcerous Overlord; 02-13-2020, 10:36 PM.

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
              -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post

I did a double take when I couldnt make a Ride Supernal Dawn, considering the 2 trees in Ride are "go fast" and "fight as partbers". But Night caste can Supernal Ride? What the fuck.

What Ability would you cut to make room?

Comment

Can't say I disagree. I'd have put Ride instead of Awareness (Awareness is important for Dawns, but I doubt many have it as their top ability).

But anyhow.

Stealth 11
                  Craft 10
                  Melee 9
                  Socialize 9
                  Athletics 8
                  Occult 8
                  Lore 7
                  War 7
                  Linguistics 6
                  Performance 6
                  Survival 6
                  Archery 5
                  Martial Arts 5
                  Medicine 5
                  Resistance 5
                  Brawl 4
                  Sail 4
                  Larceny 3
                  Presence 3
                  Bureaucracy 2
                  Dodge 2
                  Integrity 2
                  Awareness 1
                  Investigation 1
                  Ride 0
                  Thrown 0
                  That is a very interesting list. The top ones are very surprising, but I am a tad surprised at how Brawl is not all that popular. I'm most surprised at how unpopular Dodge is, I assume this is because so many Nights have Stealth supernal.

I play...
                  Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                  Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

I did a double take when I couldnt make a Ride Supernal Dawn, considering the 2 trees in Ride are "go fast" and "fight as partbers". But Night caste can Supernal Ride? What the fuck.

Ride is going to be in the Dusk spread, sayeth Vance, and I'm into that.

Comment

Originally posted by vwllss trnt prncss View Post

What Ability would you cut to make room?
                      Honestly I wouldn't cut anything, I dont think Dawns should be penalized for having access to each fighting skill, because you are probably only investing in 1 combat type and splashing a second. And then there's Athletics, Awareness, Dodge/Resistance to budget around too.

I'd just give them Ride as well and let them have access to more abilities than other castes.

-Chausse

Comment

Oh, for the official count my table has
                        Craft
                        Sail
                        Athletics
                        Survival
                        Presence
                        Larceny
                        Melee
                        Bureaucracy

Once each.

-Chausse

Comment

Honestly I wouldn't cut anything, I dont think Dawns should be penalized for having access to each fighting skill, because you are probably only investing in 1 combat type and splashing a second. And then there's Athletics, Awareness, Dodge/Resistance to budget around too.

I'd just give them Ride as well and let them have access to more abilities than other castes.
                          Athletics isn't a Dawn skill either, it's Dodge.

I play...
                          Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                          Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

So many people think atheltics is a dawn ability that you have to wonder if it should have been a dawn ability.

Comment

Looks like I'm the only Ride Supernal, at least so far.
                              The Feather in the Storm is actually a Moonshadow Caste but I work with what I've got. She's very good in duels.

success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Athletics isn't a Dawn skill either, it's Dodge.
                                I didn't mean it was, sorry. I meant you also had to budget your build around a couple of virtually mandatory buys in Awareness, Athletics, and Dodge or Resistance.

The general point I was going for is that everyone sticks to 1, maybe 2 combat abilities but the other stuff is also broadly useful or cool. So Dawns getting stuck with 5 offense options when they only need 2 is somewhat limiting, and I wouldn't hold it against the devs or homebrewers to expand their number of Supernal-able skills.

I was mobile, dodging work and drinking coffee before. I should have been more clear.

-Chausse

Comment

Working...
                                X