Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most and least popular supernal abilities?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would expect that more 'active' skills like Melee and Presence would get the most Supernal love. The characters supernal is usually tied up with what the player sees their character doing.

In the year long game I ran we had.
    Dawn: Brawl
    Night: Athletics
    Night: Larceny
    Eclipse: Presence
    2x Occult Twilights

Comment

Current party is:
      Twilight: Occult
      Dawn: Resistance
      Zenith: Presence

Game before that had:
      Dawn: Awareness
      Night: Larceny
      Twilight: Investigation
      Zenith: Performance

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
      I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by vwllss trnt prncss View Post
        I figured as much, and that's the thing that irks me about the Castes. They're very broad conceptually via their Ability spreads, but then Anima powers and Role XP locks you into pretty narrow styles.
        A piece of advice I give to first time players who are playing by RAW is that if any part of the role bonus of your intended caste's Role Bonus makes you go "that's not this character at all" it's probably something they feel about strongly enough for a major intimacy and thus a chance to gain your Expression Bonus.

I'm not that sympathetic to these rules, they were never introduced to the external playtest before the leak put a stop to that whole thing.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
        Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

For the statistics, my group consists of:

- Melee Dawn
          - Stealth Night
          - Survival Zenith
          - Occult Twilight
          - Performance Eclipse (I know it's not by the book, the player had a good concept for the character, so we golden-ruled it).

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
            I'm not that sympathetic to these rules, they were never introduced to the external playtest before the leak put a stop to that whole thing.
            Were there different rules for Solar XP, or just nothing at all?

I play...
            Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
            Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Updated chart:

Occult 12
              Stealth 12
              Craft 11
              Melee 11
              Athletics 10
              Socialize 9
              Performance 8
              Lore 8
              Survival 8
              War 7
              Larceny 6
              Linguistics 6
              Presence 6
              Resistance 6
              Archery 5
              Brawl 5
              Martial Arts 5
              Medicine 5
              Sail 5
              Bureaucracy 3
              Dodge 3
              Awareness 2
              Integrity 2
              Investigation 2
              Ride 1
              Thrown 0

Includes everyone so far in the thread plus my current party (Lore Twilight, Dodge Night).

Occult surges ahead to tie for the lead, and Larceny and Presence leave Archery and Martial Arts in their dust. Thrown is now in uncontested last place.

Comment

I'm so tempted to make a Thrown supernal Dawn... but making and playing a character because of something you saw on a forum is probably a bad idea.

I wonder if the fact it's only there for Dawns is part of the issue. I suspect more Nights use Thrown to fight than Dawns do. Certainly the only characters I see using Thrown are two social characters (an Eclipse and a Polecat-totem Lunar), who both have it at 2 or 3.

I play...
                Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                  I'm so tempted to make a Thrown supernal Dawn... but making and playing a character because of something you saw on a forum is probably a bad idea.

I wonder if the fact it's only there for Dawns is part of the issue. I suspect more Nights use Thrown to fight than Dawns do. Certainly the only characters I see using Thrown are two social characters (an Eclipse and a Polecat-totem Lunar), who both have it at 2 or 3.
                  Playing a Thrown supernal Dawn because of something you saw on a forum does sound like a bad idea. Making a Thrown supernal Dawn just to make a cool character, and then posting it on that same forum, doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. In fact, I might try that...

Comment

I think that the status of Thrown is rather easy to explain.

Thrown charms seem mostly designed to support sneaky ninjas with shurikens. If you want to play a sneaky ninja, you cannot peak Thrown supernal, and you would probably like to take Stealth supernal anyway.

​Oh, The Wizard of Oz, I somehow missed your post.
                    Last edited by Lanic; 02-15-2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

My experience as a Larceny Supernal, Dodge/Stealth/Ebon Shadow ninja gangster is that it is trivially, stupidly easy to invalidate fights entirely and splat someone in a completely one sided ambush. Belt of Shadow Walking is only Artifact 3 and if your foe can't hit unmaterialized foes then they literally cannot win. Not to mention the +3 Stealth dice it gives you. With Living Shadow Preparation, and Stalking Shadow Spirit you can blow 10-15 success on a Stealth and Wits to JB and then attack a 0 defense target who can't even notice you without a specific charm.

So right out of chargen you can make a character that requires two hard counters to stop from instantly killing you. And I didn't even have Thunderbolt Attack Prana.

I wouldn't fault people for being leery of Single Point, Melee, or Thrown, but the fact of the matter is if you wanna go nova you can easily go nova.

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
                      -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanic View Post
                        I think that the status of Thrown is rather easy to explain.

Thrown charms seem mostly designed to support sneaky ninjas with shurikens. If you want to play a sneaky ninja, you cannot peak Thrown supernal, and you would probably like to take Stealth supernal anyway.

​Oh, The Wizard of Oz, I somehow missed your post.
                        Yes, this is true. My character (inspired by the artifact Sunflash from Arms of the Chosen) is not a sneaky ninja, and there's a really limited selection of charms - enough to not feel like you're wasting the supernal at character creation, probably, but not enough to avoid that soon afterwards. If someone really wants to play this type of character, it's probably a good idea to work with the Storyteller to define some custom charms - I would look to Captain America for ideas, I guess.

What in particular do you think would be wrong with making a sneaky character who's not a Night / Stealth Supernal? I know they would not be as sneaky as a Stealth Supernal but they should still be sneaky enough to ambush some people and throw shurikens / sling shot at them.

Trendbreaker
                        Dawn Caste

Trendbreaker was a young member of the Delzhan nomads whose caravan was attacked by brutal enemies. At the start of the battle, Delzhan hid, cowering his tent, but when the defenders were quickly slaughtered, he emerged from the tent standing tall, wearing a grey veil, and holding a stack of dinner plates purchased from Chiaroscoru, meant for trade further south. Seconds after taking the grey, Trendbreaker exalted, and every plate he threw at the marauders menacing the caravan struck as true as a knife to the heart. When he ran out of ammunition he raced forwards, picking up the shards and sending it at the remaining foes, who quickly fled. The survivors spread the word of his heroic deed throughout the Delzahn people. One who heard was priest who showed Trendbreaker the way to the temple where the ancient chakram Sunflash was kept. Easily proving his worth, Trendbreaker returned to his people ready to lead them in battle against any threats that might emerge from the endless deserts to the south or the Realm to the north. In his first such battle, he defeated a Dragonblooded adventure and took her armor for his own.

Note: I didn't bother to give him a normal name or spend the last 8 bonus points but otherwise I think this is a reasonably playable character.

Strength 4
                        Dexterity 5
                        Stamina 2

Charisma 4
                        Manipulation 1
                        Appearance 2

Perception 3
                        Intelligence 2
                        Wits 4

Caste abilities:

Thrown 5 (Sunflash)
                        Awareness 5 (Joint Battle)
                        Dodge 5 (Armored)
                        Resistance 3
                        War 3

Favored abilities:

Athletics 3
                        Integrity 3
                        Performance 3 (Oratory)
                        Survival 2
                        Ride 2

Merits:
                        Native Language: Flametongue
                        Artifact 4 (Sunflash)
                        Artifact 3 (Red Jade Chain Shirt)
                        Fast Reflexes
                        Influence 1

Charms

1. Thrown: Triple Distance Attack Technique
                        2. Thrown: Cascade of Cutting Terror
                        3. Thrown: Shower of Deadly Blades
                        4. Thrown: Precision of the Striking Raptor
                        5. Thrown: Steel Storm Descending
                        6. Thrown: Flashing Draw Mastery
                        7. Thrown: Swam-Culling Instinct
                        8. Thrown: Shrike Saving Discretion
                        9. Thrown: Firey Solar Chakram
                        10. Resistance: Ox-Body Technique
                        11. Awareness: Sensory Acuity Prana
                        12. Dodge: Drifting Leaf Elusion
                        13. Dodge: Shadow Over Water
                        14. Performance: Masterful Performance Exercise

Evocations

15. Sunflash: Burning Faith Arc

Intimacies

Defining Tie: The Delzahn nomads (Loyalty)
                        Major Principle: Fight to the last to defend what’s yours
                        Major Principle: Women and children shouldn’t be harmed
                        Minor Tie: A Delzhan Priest (Friendship and Gratitude)

Limit trigger: The Solar is insulted, belittled, or deliberately frustrated by another character.

Comment

I'm honestly surprised to hear that Occult is so popular. I know it does a lot of cool things other than sorcery, but sorcery still feels like Occult's main draw, and Supernal Occult doesn't get you sorcery any faster.

I guess people must really like interacting with spirits.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                            I'm honestly surprised to hear that Occult is so popular. I know it does a lot of cool things other than sorcery, but sorcery still feels like Occult's main draw, and Supernal Occult doesn't get you sorcery any faster.

Thematically though, if someone unfamiliar with the game wants to play a mage and doesn't have a clear idea of their character beyond that, then Supernal Occult makes the most sense. Plus the Charm line of All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight does fit the Sorcerer Archetype and can be nice to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                              Were there different rules for Solar XP, or just nothing at all?
                              We'd been made aware that Solar XP existed but no guidelines in the playtest documents.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                              Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post

I suspect Epitome is right; a lot of concepts based around being a sorcerer are going to end up with Supernal Occult anyway.

I play...

Comment

Working...
                                X