Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most and least popular supernal abilities?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the most and least popular supernal abilities?

What do you think are the most and least popular Supernal Abilities are for Solar characters, among 3e Exalted's player base? Or which are most or least popular in your groups?

I don't care for this which ones are actually the best / worst, just which ones people are more likely to want to play with.

I would guess (from neither playing a lot nor surveying a bunch of players about this - just intuition):

Most popular: Craft (powerful and unique), Melee (most versatile combat ability)

Fairly popular: Archery, Brawl, Martial Arts, Thrown (all the combat abilities seem like solid choices), Performance, Presence, Socialize (same with all the social abilities), Investigation, Larceny, Occult, Stealth, War (seem like the centerpiece of cool characters)

Not sure: Athletics, Lore, Medicine, Sail, Survival

Fairly unpopular: Awareness, Dodge, Integrity, Resistance (not really clear what it says about your character to be great at these, but probably pretty useful)

Least popular: Bureaucracy, Linguistics (most likely to seem boring / not useful in every situation), Ride (not boring but very limited in applicability)

• Tytalus
    replied
    Now that is interesting data from Lot Casting Atemi.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Partly, I think that despite it not being directly useful, Occult feels very appropriate as a Supernal for a sorcerer. So there's probably a lot of sorcerer characters who have Occult supernal and then maybe don't actually take a ton of Occult charms.
    And even despite that, there's probably enough exorcists, demonologists, priests, shamans, etc.

But it is actually quite a useful ability that covers a lot of stuff; detecting and analysing magic (very useful), fighting spirits, dealing with curses, commanding your own bound spirits, even surviving serious damage. My Zenith has a ton of Occult charms.

I'm actually surprised that Presence is 2nd, because I don't like the Solar Presence tree, but I guess a)the best Solar presence charms are up at Essence 3 or so, so Supernal is very useful for a Face character, and b)other people seem to like that tree more than I do.

Leave a comment:

• limaxophobiac
    replied
    The Occult supernals kind of surprise me, I didn't think spirit stuff was that popular to be up there with Melee and beating Craft and Stealth.

Leave a comment:

• hushnowquietnow
    replied
    In my character-tracking web app, Lot-Casting Atemi, there are 2587 Solar characters in the system right now. Here's the breakdown:
    • Archery: 48
    • Athletics: 72
    • Awareness: 40
    • Brawl: 106
    • Bureaucracy: 54
    • Craft: 140
    • Dodge: 53
    • Integrity: 33
    • Investigation: 42
    • Larceny: 96
    • Linguistics: 29
    • Lore: 106
    • Martial Arts: 112
    • Medicine: 41
    • Melee: 205
    • Occult: 181
    • Performance: 82
    • Presence: 197
    • Resistance: 121
    • Ride: 15
    • Sail: 13
    • Stealth: 130
    • Socialize: 98
    • Survival: 37
    • Thrown: 14
    • War: 43
    • None selected: 479
    And for custom/homebrew/houserules characters (which could include anything from Solars with houserules re: Supernal to homebrew Abyssals and whatever else), there's a smaller breakdown:
    • Investigation: 3
    • Occult: 7
    • Martial Arts: 16
    • Integrity: 5
    • Stealth: 8
    • Lore: 3
    • Sail: 2
    • Socialize: 6
    • Presence: 10
    • Performance: 9
    • Ride: 1
    • Craft: 5
    • Medicine: 5
    • Thrown: 1
    • War: 3
    • Survival: 2
    • Brawl: 5
    • Dodge: 2
    • Melee: 9
    • Larceny: 3
    • Awareness: 1
    • Resistance: 2
    • Linguistics: 1
    Take these stats with a grain of salt, though. I don't have a way of knowing whether any of these characters have seen actual play. Also, this doesn't differentiate between PCs and NPCs at all.
    Last edited by hushnowquietnow; 05-04-2020, 11:14 PM. Reason: Adding disclaimers

Leave a comment:

• Tytalus
    replied
    My last game had a supernal Craft Twilight and a Melee Dawn.

Leave a comment:

• Kaiju
    replied
    The players in my new campaign (I am ST) with 3 Solars have taken Martial Arts, Martial Arts and Melee. It basically started with one player copying their L5R RPG character, a Kakita Duelist, into Exalted maxing all 5s in all combat-relevant areas, Supernal Martial Arts, and a Reaper Daiklave from Merits. The others went like "wow, you can start with a finished endgame fighter? I have to do this!" and there we go

Leave a comment:

• MrFamiliar
    replied
    Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
    I'm honestly surprised to hear that Occult is so popular. I know it does a lot of cool things other than sorcery, but sorcery still feels like Occult's main draw, and Supernal Occult doesn't get you sorcery any faster.

I guess people must really like interacting with spirits.
    Ephemeral Induction Technique is an attractive option. Even compared to demon/elemental summoning, it offers an ultimate swiss army knife since you build your God or Fae as PCs rather than QCs, per a ruling in Ask the Devs. Then you use GET to destroy it and you can use the charm again without waiting a full season.

Like Stealth for Nights, it is the ability that matches the Twilight anima so it's easy for people to be drawn to it. Especially if you're a new player, take a look at Craft for the first time and decide "nope". It's not necessarily the best ability, but with spirits described as nearly everywhere and often belligerent, it can be useful in a variety of situations so you feel less niche. Plus it has lots of E4/E5 charms, so if you want to make the best use of your supernal advantage (as opposed to War) then it tricks into feeling you're getting better value.

Gloaming Eye Understanding lets you play an Eclipse-lite without being an Eclipse.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe244
    replied
    Originally posted by Lanic View Post
    I think that the status of Thrown is rather easy to explain.

Thrown charms seem mostly designed to support sneaky ninjas with shurikens. If you want to play a sneaky ninja, you cannot peak Thrown supernal, and you would probably like to take Stealth supernal anyway.

​Oh, The Wizard of Oz, I somehow missed your post.
    Thrown has a lot of ninja tricks.

But there's plenty of scope for other builds.
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 02-16-2020, 06:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    I'm honestly surprised to hear that Occult is so popular. I know it does a lot of cool things other than sorcery, but sorcery still feels like Occult's main draw, and Supernal Occult doesn't get you sorcery any faster.

I suspect Epitome is right; a lot of concepts based around being a sorcerer are going to end up with Supernal Occult anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Were there different rules for Solar XP, or just nothing at all?
    We'd been made aware that Solar XP existed but no guidelines in the playtest documents.

Leave a comment:

• Epitome
    replied

Thematically though, if someone unfamiliar with the game wants to play a mage and doesn't have a clear idea of their character beyond that, then Supernal Occult makes the most sense. Plus the Charm line of All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight does fit the Sorcerer Archetype and can be nice to start with.

Leave a comment:

• Jefepato
    replied

Leave a comment:

• habitableexoplanet
    replied
    Originally posted by Lanic View Post
    I think that the status of Thrown is rather easy to explain.

Thrown charms seem mostly designed to support sneaky ninjas with shurikens. If you want to play a sneaky ninja, you cannot peak Thrown supernal, and you would probably like to take Stealth supernal anyway.

​Oh, The Wizard of Oz, I somehow missed your post.
    Yes, this is true. My character (inspired by the artifact Sunflash from Arms of the Chosen) is not a sneaky ninja, and there's a really limited selection of charms - enough to not feel like you're wasting the supernal at character creation, probably, but not enough to avoid that soon afterwards. If someone really wants to play this type of character, it's probably a good idea to work with the Storyteller to define some custom charms - I would look to Captain America for ideas, I guess.

What in particular do you think would be wrong with making a sneaky character who's not a Night / Stealth Supernal? I know they would not be as sneaky as a Stealth Supernal but they should still be sneaky enough to ambush some people and throw shurikens / sling shot at them.

Trendbreaker
    Dawn Caste

Trendbreaker was a young member of the Delzhan nomads whose caravan was attacked by brutal enemies. At the start of the battle, Delzhan hid, cowering his tent, but when the defenders were quickly slaughtered, he emerged from the tent standing tall, wearing a grey veil, and holding a stack of dinner plates purchased from Chiaroscoru, meant for trade further south. Seconds after taking the grey, Trendbreaker exalted, and every plate he threw at the marauders menacing the caravan struck as true as a knife to the heart. When he ran out of ammunition he raced forwards, picking up the shards and sending it at the remaining foes, who quickly fled. The survivors spread the word of his heroic deed throughout the Delzahn people. One who heard was priest who showed Trendbreaker the way to the temple where the ancient chakram Sunflash was kept. Easily proving his worth, Trendbreaker returned to his people ready to lead them in battle against any threats that might emerge from the endless deserts to the south or the Realm to the north. In his first such battle, he defeated a Dragonblooded adventure and took her armor for his own.

Note: I didn't bother to give him a normal name or spend the last 8 bonus points but otherwise I think this is a reasonably playable character.

Strength 4
    Dexterity 5
    Stamina 2

Charisma 4
    Manipulation 1
    Appearance 2

Perception 3
    Intelligence 2
    Wits 4

Caste abilities:

Thrown 5 (Sunflash)
    Awareness 5 (Joint Battle)
    Dodge 5 (Armored)
    Resistance 3
    War 3

Favored abilities:

Athletics 3
    Integrity 3
    Performance 3 (Oratory)
    Survival 2
    Ride 2

Merits:
    Native Language: Flametongue
    Artifact 4 (Sunflash)
    Artifact 3 (Red Jade Chain Shirt)
    Fast Reflexes
    Influence 1

Charms

1. Thrown: Triple Distance Attack Technique
    2. Thrown: Cascade of Cutting Terror
    3. Thrown: Shower of Deadly Blades
    4. Thrown: Precision of the Striking Raptor
    5. Thrown: Steel Storm Descending
    6. Thrown: Flashing Draw Mastery
    7. Thrown: Swam-Culling Instinct
    8. Thrown: Shrike Saving Discretion
    9. Thrown: Firey Solar Chakram
    10. Resistance: Ox-Body Technique
    11. Awareness: Sensory Acuity Prana
    12. Dodge: Drifting Leaf Elusion
    13. Dodge: Shadow Over Water
    14. Performance: Masterful Performance Exercise

Evocations

15. Sunflash: Burning Faith Arc

Intimacies

Defining Tie: The Delzahn nomads (Loyalty)
    Major Principle: Fight to the last to defend what’s yours
    Major Principle: Women and children shouldn’t be harmed
    Minor Tie: A Delzhan Priest (Friendship and Gratitude)

Limit trigger: The Solar is insulted, belittled, or deliberately frustrated by another character.

Leave a comment:

• Sorcerous Overlord
    replied
    My experience as a Larceny Supernal, Dodge/Stealth/Ebon Shadow ninja gangster is that it is trivially, stupidly easy to invalidate fights entirely and splat someone in a completely one sided ambush. Belt of Shadow Walking is only Artifact 3 and if your foe can't hit unmaterialized foes then they literally cannot win. Not to mention the +3 Stealth dice it gives you. With Living Shadow Preparation, and Stalking Shadow Spirit you can blow 10-15 success on a Stealth and Wits to JB and then attack a 0 defense target who can't even notice you without a specific charm.

So right out of chargen you can make a character that requires two hard counters to stop from instantly killing you. And I didn't even have Thunderbolt Attack Prana.

I wouldn't fault people for being leery of Single Point, Melee, or Thrown, but the fact of the matter is if you wanna go nova you can easily go nova.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X