Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do young Dynasts TRY to Exalt into Dragon Blooded?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do young Dynasts TRY to Exalt into Dragon Blooded?

The Manuel of Exalted Powers: The Dragon Blooded notes how young Dynasts think of little else but Exalting as one of the Dragon Blooded.

It notes they try all sorts of ways, some superstitious, to Exalt.

Obviously they do not have the OOC knowledge of how DB Exaltation work, but the book is also vague about what these young Dynasts THINK will result in Exaltation.

Has this info been shared in any other books, or a part of that book I missed?

What kind of practices, acts, or spiritual states do you think these young people might think will prove their worth as a member of the Dragon Blooded host?

Read the first issue of My Hero Academia and watch little Izuku try to figure out what his Quirk is.

I imagine there's a LOT of that.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
      Read the first issue of My Hero Academia and watch little Izuku try to figure out what his Quirk is.

I imagine there's a LOT of that.
      Does crying a lot help becoming en Exalted ?

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Doesn't the Deeb Exaltation tend to come out under duress? I imagine there's a couple of very stressful years at whatever font of education young dynasts spend their time at, but if they don't flame on by say... 18? maybe the instructors then let nature take it's course.

Comment

Travel with a group of their friends out into the woods to see a dead body while facing struggles and growing as people.

Comment

Originally posted by Daredevil View Post
            What kind of practices, acts, or spiritual states do you think these young people might think will prove their worth as a member of the Dragon Blooded host?
            I'd guess a lot of practices involve contact or immersion in a dangerous amount of the element you expect to have as your Aspect. So a Dynast from House Memnon might bury herself in gravel and try to hold her breath for as long as possible, someone hoping for Fire Aspect might hold her hand in the flame for as long as she could stand it, a Wood Aspect hopeful might drink barely sub-lethal levels of hemlock, and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Chausse View Post
              Does crying a lot help becoming en Exalted ?
              Is that the only thing you remember little Izuku doing?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Young Dynasts lives are pretty full of adventure and excitement anyway. They go to incredibly demanding schools that teach academic skills as well as physical training and martial arts. On top of that they’re embroiled in family intrigue and dynastic politics from a pretty young age. They’re also given the incredible privilege of having access to faraway and exotic locations as well as otherwise forbidden knowledge. They probably just try to exalt by doing and being the best at their responsibilities. Or alternatively just laze around doing the bare minimum to get by and assume they’re going to exalt regardless.

Comment

Don't need a book when real life's got you covered. If you go to YouTube and search "people getting injured for youtube," you should be able to find some (really gross) inspiration. Humans do dumb things for a lot less than a chance at superpowers.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                  [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                  [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Steal Dragonblood hair and make it into amulets to keep under their bed.
                    Make potions of Dragonblood piss/blood/cum. (Acquiring genuine fluids isn't always easy)
                    Sleep with Dragonblood.
                    Try practicing Immaculate Dragon-Fu in the style of their parent or house's element.
                    Pray at temples a lot.
                    Go on pilgrimage up the Imperial Mountain.
                    Submerge themselves, bury themselves, jump into fire, etc.
                    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 02-14-2020, 07:05 PM.

I play...
                    Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                    Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post
                      Don't need a book when real life's got you covered. If you go to YouTube and search "people getting injured for youtube," you should be able to find some (really gross) inspiration. Humans do dumb things for a lot less than a chance at superpowers.
                      "Hi I'm Cathak Knoxville and welcome to Jackass!"

Comment

Originally posted by Daredevil View Post
                        the book is also vague about what these young Dynasts THINK will result in Exaltation
                        I wouldn't say vague so much as space that we're invited to fill in for ourselves because there's only so much wordcount.

Originally posted by Daredevil
                        Has this info been shared in any other books, or a part of that book I missed?
                        I think some of the Aspect books might have characters describe their experience of such in school, but nothing prominent. There are a few things to the culture of the Scarlet Dynasty.

I think there's value in having something open-ended for people using the books, but if they ever actually went ahead with a Scarlet Manual of Upright Bearing I think there's a fair amount that it could be filled with.

Originally posted by Accelerator
                        Well, you can never go wrong with drinking a bit of mercury.

Alternatively, have them wear a piece of ceremonial clothing from each of the Aspects. Then in a bowl before them, combine the five elements together as one! A jug of water! A cup of soil! A lit torch! Air from a bellows! A pointed stick.

Scatter the contents over the prospective dragon.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                        Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey
                          Young Dynasts lives are pretty full of adventure and excitement anyway. They go to incredibly demanding schools that teach academic skills as well as physical training and martial arts. On top of that they’re embroiled in family intrigue and dynastic politics from a pretty young age.

The tone that the book seems to present is that Dynast academia is still highly regimented and routine (certainly challenging, but not necessarily exciting), and that family intrigue and politics is something that they're isolated from.

They’re also given the incredible privilege of having access to faraway and exotic locations
                          Maybe occasionally as a school trip, but that's not definitive and still liable to be strictly supervised.

The whole point of their post-graduation sabbatical is being the first opportunity to really go out on their own and see the world.

just laze around doing the bare minimum to get by and assume they’re going to exalt regardless
                          Hesiesh help the poor young Dynast who takes that attitude to schooling the first time somebody points out the exceptionally well-bred 14-year old mortal who is going to graduate next year.

Originally posted by prototype00
                          I imagine there's a couple of very stressful years at whatever font of education young dynasts spend their time at
                          Yeah, but this thread is specifically about the explicitly described practice of weird and futile rituals.

Originally posted by prototype00
                          if they don't flame on by say... 18
                          I imagine that if they're not Exalted by the time a secondary school is being selected four years prior to that, anxiety levels are going to start shooting through the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                            Maybe occasionally as a school trip, but that's not definitive and still liable to be strictly supervised.

The whole point of their post-graduation sabbatical is being the first opportunity to really go out on their own and see the world.
                            Exotic was probably not the right word. I was more thinking about how some primary schools have naval exercises, or have extreme architecture or landscape, or yes field trips to satrapies. If your school looks like this or this or this, there's plenty of opportunity just in the environment for crazy shit to happen.

Comment

I'm thinking there'd be some milage to trying to emulate the capabilities of the anima banners, like a Tepet jumping from a high place.

Still, ought to come up with something really weird... Wizard has the right idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X