No announcement yet.

Ex3 Writer Blog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for another Ink Monkey Bones post. This time, a pair of hearthstone-based Dragon-Blooded Charms.

Ink Monkey Bones #2: Hearthstone Weaponry

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Oh shit, I remember seeing those way back when the previous forum was new. I always thought the crystal weapon power-up idea was awesome for the Terrestrials and I was sad they were never published. Given that they're posted here, I can assume there will be no such Charms in 3e either, which saddens me. None the less, the imagery is still really sweet!

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Originally posted by Weimann View Post
        Oh shit, I remember seeing those way back when the previous forum was new. I always thought the crystal weapon power-up idea was awesome for the Terrestrials and I was sad they were never published. Given that they're posted here, I can assume there will be no such Charms in 3e either, which saddens me. None the less, the imagery is still really sweet!
        Oh, I don't know if I'd take that from it. Note that the basic mechanical effect is to give a weapon an additional/alternative flat MM bonus based on the hearthstone, and we know there are no longer flat MM bonuses. A Charm to coat one's weapon/fist in a hearthstone may still be possible, just with a different mechanical effect. Someone interested may be able to brew up something up, once we know a) how EX3 hearthstones work and b) what benefits EX3 magical materials can give.

Regardless of any of that, they are definitely cool Charms!
        Last edited by Gaius; 05-21-2014, 03:57 PM. Reason: "can may" ha ha no

The EX3 What We Know Wiki, courtesy of Marin and JMobius
        Nishkriya, the EX3 Freelancer Quotes Tracker, courtesy of Anathema and Moonwolf
        The White Wolf Forum Archive, courtesy of The Dark Wizard and Sanctaphrax (see its Patreon)
        Arrghus: There's also the Shepherd of the North Star, busily guiding the one thing in all the heavens that doesn't move.

Comment

True. I suppose maybe a matching set of Artifacts with crystal-themed evocations might be more appropriate.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Here's another Dragon-Blooded Charm. It's a little mansier and a little less hearthstony than last week's entry, but it remains in the same wheelhouse.

Ink Monkey Bones #3: Manse of Air and Darkness

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

That makes me think of an Exalted Modern Fire Caste attuning to a Shadow-Manse over a Wood-Aspected Demesne currently occupied by an attuned Wood Caste/Lunar.
              "We're going to build this."
              "You're going to try."

Comment

Apologies -- posted the fourth installment yesterday in too much of a hurry to put up a link here. So, belatedly:

Ink Monkey Bones #4: Perygran Alloys

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

That's tremendously cool, and I wish I'd had this handy to pass to our twilight artificier during the game I finished running a couple months back.

Thanks!

Comment

If more magitech were like that I wouldn't have been so quick to throw it out.

edit: let me elaborate on this. In this case it's like the writer went and tried to actually look up real words and descriptions of scientific/industrial processes instead of just saying 'gears and stuff, sounds good to me'. So, thank you. Thank you for actually putting forth the effort to research the thing you're writing about and trying to do a good job instead of settling for mediocrity as so many of your peers have chosen to do.
                    Last edited by Ithle; 06-05-2014, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I cringe at the thought of alloying soulsteel with anything. Bad enough to make soulsteel in the first place; why you gotta desecrate the eternally suffering like that?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
                        I cringe at the thought of alloying soulsteel with anything. Bad enough to make soulsteel in the first place; why you gotta desecrate the eternally suffering like that?
                        Wai-tan gonna juunai.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                          Apologies -- posted the fourth installment yesterday in too much of a hurry to put up a link here. So, belatedly:

Ink Monkey Bones #4: Perygran Alloys

Craaaaaaaft stuuuuuuuuuunts.

Thank you.

Currently writing for Heirs to the Shogunate.

Comment

Note that this was for an Autochthonia supplement; in this setting, soulsteel is a naturally occuring (though finite) resource, and its conotations might be less dire.

Which is to say, sooo many people died in the past to make Autochthonia's reserves of soulsteel, there is no need to kill any more!

For now.

Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

Comment

In fairness, we don't know how it is for those trapped in the torment of sounsteel. For all we know, having their substance alloyed with another magical material might ease their suffering. I mean, I'm not going to begin with the assumption that it does, but it's a possibility.

"And so, to settle this question once and for all, we shall employ the scientific method. We shall determine the happiness level of the denizens of this block of unworked soulsteel, split it in half, determine the happiness levels in the two halves, fashion a soulsteel daiklave with one and a soulsteel-orichalcum daiklave with the other, and then determine the happiness levels in each. We shall perform this experiment 100 times across many smiths and then examine the end results. We shall use this special modified pain chart to determine happiness level. Then and only then can we be sure."
                              *chart contains a line of symbols and numbers, beginning with a smiley face with a 10 under it on one end, a frowny face with a 0 under it a bit later, and a likeness of The Scream with a -100 under it at the far end*
                              -- Shen the Morally Questionable
                              Last edited by Gaius; 06-05-2014, 05:06 PM. Reason: Moar minor tweaks.

The EX3 What We Know Wiki, courtesy of Marin and JMobius
                              Nishkriya, the EX3 Freelancer Quotes Tracker, courtesy of Anathema and Moonwolf
                              The White Wolf Forum Archive, courtesy of The Dark Wizard and Sanctaphrax (see its Patreon)
                              Arrghus: There's also the Shepherd of the North Star, busily guiding the one thing in all the heavens that doesn't move.

Comment

Just thought I'd share a couple more Exalted-related blog posts:

Iambs and Dactyls: Exalted Charm Nomenclature
                                The Scarlet Realm, Evil Empires, and Fictional Morality

Developer for Exalted.

Comment

• Astralporing
                                  Astralporing commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                                  I mean, that there were refugees might imply that a lot of cities had been destroyed, although it could also mean various other things (like the idea that people in other areas wanted to leave the cities, especially if there were looking to be shortages, and thought that this new power player could protect them).
                                  Compass of celestial directions: blessed isle, in its history section states that:
                                  Records indicate that although the Great Contagion ravaged the populace of the Blessed Isle to a lesser extent than it did in the Threshold, the Isle’s dense cities and vast estates were where mortality was the highest. Although the Contagion killed almost nine tenths of the population throughout Creation, the mortality was almost 100 percent within the boundaries of the Blessed Isle’s cities.
                                  Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                                  I'd say the Shogunate capital wound up as their equivalent of Kyoto or post-Constantine Rome; still a perfectly serviceable city, but one that's lost a lot of political capital in favour of the new order. I can only assume that, unlike those cities, it may have lacked the cultural importance to still keep attention focused on it after the power moved elsewhere (for one thing, I can easily imagine Shoguns as having repeatedly relocated the capital).
                                  And here again the history chapter tells us a bit more:
                                  The capitol of the Dragon-Blooded Shogunate was also in ruins, and those few portions that survived were a vast charnel house. The Scarlet Empress knew how closely her rule was tied to her control of the Imperial Manse, so she ordered the Shogunate capitol be razed and proclaimed Vanchow as the new capital of the Realm.
                                  (Vanchow is the original name of the Imperial City, or rather the name of the city upon whose ruins Realm's capitol was built). The name of the Shogunate capitol is not given.)

It is, of course, possible that the Third Edition will be less detailed.

• Isator Levi
                                  Isator Levi commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  While reading some interesting stuff about the decline of the medieval castle and knight, I think I got a sense of context for what it might mean to "impoverish" satrapies.

One of the points the book made was that centralised government and more efficient European trade based out of increasingly large towns and cities meant that there was a wealthy merchant class who could provide hefty tax revenues to the state that could be used to hire mercenaries in significant numbers.

It occurred to me that a satrapy could be a place where that kind of surplus revenue instead goes to paying for the Realm's tribute. Depending on how the economy of the state is organised, this might lead to additional poverty to the populace (mostly if the burden of the taxation falls on the lower classes), but not necessarily. At the most basic level, it means impoverishing the state, but that doesn't necessarily mean everybody who lives there is poor, not least because states aren't poor or wealthy the way individuals or even businesses are.

Indeed, there might be cases where having certain private individuals be wealthy while the state is limited serves the purposes of the Realm; I can imagine some satrapies that have something like a feudal and manorial system, where an elite warrior caste engages in the expensive process of their individual training while the ruler lacks the means to replace them, and where the Realm is satisfied that they can only raise armies of minimal training on a temporary basis and otherwise experience all of the instabilities inherent to a feudal system. The Realm might not tolerate actual rebellious barons (and satraps are likely to pressure rulers who can't keep their vassals in check with the possibility of replacement), but the provincial uncertainty and lack of stability that the very possibility implies likely serves their purposes. And hey, when you need to make war around that area, you've got a satrapy that can provide elite cavalry units.

It also occurred to me that if part of the tribute takes the form of actual jade coinage, that not only encourages systems where the merchants are taxed purely for the sake of paying the tribute, but also where merchants need to consistently trade with the Realm since it's the biggest and most stable source of jade coinage. This is another way of economically oppressing the satrapies; even if merchants are wealthy, they're still stuck trading with a certain market in order to fulfill their tax obligations, regardless of how shifting conditions make this profitable for them, and I'd say a lot of satrapies experience significant trade deficits, since the Realm knows it doesn't need to sell things in order to get that cash back. It actually might ultimately limit the wealth of merchants; not so much that they become poor, but enough that they can't be taxed to the degree that you could pay the tribute and an army's wages.

Lea has talked about how they need to give credibility to the idea of the Realm still being around in the next few decades, and one reason I would want that is to have an arena in which a certain plot seed planted by Manacle and Coin can play out; namely, the idea that part of the reason the Guild's silver standard has gained so much prominence in the last century is because Realm tribute and trade deficits are creating a shortage of jade currency in the Threshold, and I'd like to get through to the stage where this renders the current systems unsustainable.

Hmmm, now I want to play a game of heroic mortals including a character who keeps using accounting wizardry and bureaucratic wrangling to conceal the state's assets from the Realm while building up systems for rebellion, as a kind of running procedural duel with the satrap's financial advisor. It's like Death Note, but where the notebooks are ledgers and the people who magically die are actually people of means whose money has to be tracked and acquired.

• Isator Levi
                                  Isator Levi commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Originally posted by Astralporing View Post
                                  Compass of celestial directions: blessed isle, in its history section
                                  I prefer the history section in Exalted: the Dragon Blooded.
                              Working...
                              X