Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What unique weaknesses did you give your Deathlords???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What unique weaknesses did you give your Deathlords???

I have always found the option that Deathlords can each have secret weaknesses that can kill them permanently interesting.

What unique weaknesses did you give to the Deathlords in your games?

I gave my Deathlords the paired secret weaknesses that having been a living Solar means absolutely nothing about your powers as a ghost and that the Neverborn are pretty much useless as a source of anything but insanity. My Deathlords are highly-motivated and highly-skilled ghosts who found and seized opportunity when it became available to them, which also explains why they were so interested in this whole "Our own Exalted" business.
    Of course, they lie their asses off about this, which is where the "secret weakness" rumors come from. Very, very elaborate lies, often involving other Deathlords, visiting Exalted, or spirits.

Comment

In the one game where it mattered for me, the Deathlords could only be kill by the current bearer of their former exaltation.

Comment

The weakness I found least interesting was "go fetch this magic rock... because".

The Mask of Winters being struck down by his last living descendant was one. I can't recall which Deathlords but we convinced one to voluntarily enter Lethe by getting them to love a baby.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
          The Mask of Winters being struck down by his last living descendant was one. I can't recall which Deathlords but we convinced one to voluntarily enter Lethe by getting them to love a baby.
          These both sound like they have some interesting backstories. How did your group convince a Deathlord to love a baby?

Comment

Originally posted by Daredevil View Post
            These both sound like they have some interesting backstories. How did your group convince a Deathlord to love a baby?
            Mostly? Social Charms.

I think we were up against The First Forsaken Lion so step one was removing The Princess Magnificent With Lips Of Coral And Robes Of Black Feathers. We decided the best way to do that was winning her love to provide the hilt to wield her hatred for the Lion as an effective blade. Which sort of, accidently, led to having her defend a baby from He Who Holds In Thrall (and having her go into Lethe). But possibly it was from a game against the Lover... this is a decade ago.

The Mask of Winters had literally thousands of descendants in that game. To start with. We totally Macbeth'ed him with a prophecy that he would be struct down by one of his living descendants, which caused him to go on a genocidal spree -- uniting the Realm and the Riverprovinces against him. The Mask managed to kill all his descendants bar one (a PC Sidereal of Endings) in a "Just As Planned"/"You played yourself" moment of greatness.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Reminiscent Oasis View Post
              In the one game where it mattered for me, the Deathlords could only be kill by the current bearer of their former exaltation.
              I did this. Then the PC who was the current bearer of Walker in Darkness (the big bad of that campaign)'s Exaltation was accidentally killed by another PC in a fight against Sidereals. And I realised that making one PC the chosen one is a risky strategy. Would not do again.

I play...
              Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
              Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

I’ve never personally had cause to use any but I can think of some.

Deathlord can only be killed in the light of a harvest moon.

Deathlord split them self into several different personalities, they can all resurrect eachother so you have to make them all destroyed at once.

Deathlord can only be slain by some other ghost passing on, and dragging their soul to Lethe with them.

Deathlord must be convinced to let go of Creation and pass on willingly.

Deathlord can only be killed by a trusted ally betraying them.

Deathlord can’t be killed but can be permanently trapped in a specific hearthstone.

Deathlord can only be destroyed by immolation in an occult ceremony.

Deathlord can only be killed by their own attacks.

Deathlord can only be killed by somebody they have a defining tie of love for, or has one for them.

Deathlord can only be killed by first binding their soul to living flesh and then slaying that. Debatably breaking the resurrection rule.

Deathlord can only be killed by wrestling them into their original tomb and crossing the lid with a seal of the Maiden of Endings.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                  Deathlord split them self into several different personalities, they can all resurrect eachother so you have to make them all destroyed at once.
                  Alternatively, convince one or more of them to not want to resurrect the others.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                    Alternatively, convince one or more of them to not want to resurrect the others.
                    Yeah that’s be good. You could even have a bunch of different answers to their various forms. The unreasonable rage monster needs to die, the spiteful but pathetic one can just be locked in a prison with salt lines, ect.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                      The weakness I found least interesting was "go fetch this magic rock... because".
                      On a meta level the Hungry Stone was sort of perfect. It highlighted how Island Five had utterly taken over The Silver Prince's portrayal to the point he was The First and Forsaken Lion but with an unstoppable navy instead of an army.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                      Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                        On a meta level the Hungry Stone was sort of perfect. It highlighted how Island Five had utterly taken over The Silver Prince's portrayal to the point he was The First and Forsaken Lion but with an unstoppable navy instead of an army.
                        Can you elaborate on this? I’m not super familiar with the silver prince.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

Can you elaborate on this? I’m not super familiar with the silver prince.
                          The Hungry Stone is something on Island Five which draws in the souls of Skullstone's population when they die so they can be soulforged into the Doom Fleet. Which kind of makes all his politics and the culture he's built and the core of his original goal and characterisation just a big lie to distract people from the secret construction of said fleet.

In RotSE destroying the stone or incorporating it into a weapon is an easy way to literally hurt the Silver Prince.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                          Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Long, long ago, in another reality...

(Edit: Few to none of these are likely to fit Ex3 Deathlords, if "truly unkillable without a secret weakness" will even still be a thing.)

Hey, check out my first original RPG, Post-Mortem, here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307131/PostMortem

Or check out my Patreon here: https://www.patreon.com/dexdavican

Comment

The biggest one we had come up in our game was for The Lover Clad in a Raiment of Tears. Her secret weakness was being killed by someone who truly loved her.

Comment

Working...
                              X