Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best combination of three Martial Arts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best combination of three Martial Arts?

Or alternatively, 2 Martial Arts and an Evocation tree.

What do I mean by best?
    Most powerful? Coolest? Most fun? Most straightforward (combining 30 charms is complex)? Best at dealing with a wide variety of situations, including non-combat? Well, that's up to you.

I play...
    Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
    Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

I'll propose an entry for "Most Confusing":
    Black Claw Style, Righteous Devil Style, and a set of Silken Armor with evocations that make it very difficult to fight you outside a duel.
    You: "I am Paradoxical Blossom, here to rid this city of the filth that lurks the alleys! Show your mettle, scum!"
    Foe: "Fine then, I'll take you on!"
    You: "Dragons preserve me, this man is trying to kill me for no reason!"
    Foe: "What? You just challenged me to a duel!"
    You: "Yes, for I am an upright and honorable warrior here to punish you!"
    Foe: "But then-"
    You: "And I have been so cruelly and viciously set upon!"
    Foe: "Uh, guys? Back me up here?"
    Guys: "No way boss, we're not intruding in a duel you agreed to and started for no reas- huh? Uhhhh...

Comment

My sidereal just might have a new method of fighting now.

Comment

First, an Evocation-Duel tree with Black Claw Style and Righteous Devil Style is hilarious.

Minor aside for a pet peeve. To claim something as 'best' with a defined criteria for ranking, one must rank all possibilities. Ignoring Evocations, and ignoring books that aren't 3e Core, 3e Lunars, and 3e Dragon-Blooded, there's 20 styles. 20 choose 3 is 1140. Without a defined criteria for ranking, well, it's a lost cause. However, I'll take off my analytical hat, and enjoy the writing prompt.

Falcon/Air/White Reaper
        Pros:
        Light-armor compatible
        Flying-friendly
        Head-butts are shockingly good at approximating weapons of mass destruction vs. battlegroups

Cons:
        Hard to get onslaught penalties in the air
        Form weapons don't line up
        Does not come with wings

The Sack of Chiaroscuro - In a southern satrapy a Lunar elder must escape the results of his war-gambit against the Realm, but faces the city's mother-god as he tries to flee.

Comment

Fists are form weapons!

I play...
          Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

I have a few ideas of at least interesting combinations, but this is actually how I've designed Perfected Kata Bracers for the games I'm in.

I take three Martial Arts styles that at least share a form weapon between them, then build on them with interlaced charm trees; a 5-7 Evocation tree for each combination, and then generally another set of very powerful charms for all three combined together. I found that using three Martial Arts let you focus on the parts where the thematics overlapped effectively and to pull out interesting combinations of the unique mechanics without ruining the entire point of investing in a Martial Arts style. Rather then covering for weaknesses where the styles still offered nothing, it boosted the strengths inherent in combining them, attempting to combine them into a single being.

Another major part of this was the Style Points system from 2E's Cobra style. Leaning into how your martial arts function together, changing between them to get the drop on your opponent when you identify a moment where one is more beneficial, etc, result in building style points that you can use to reset the charms in the styles, to reduce Wound Penalties to keep fighting, or to reroll dice from failed rolls in the abilities those Martial Arts build on. The intent is to basically make it so that, while you might not be able to learn past the styles themselves, through the bracers you can expand what you're good at and, for very long running games, maybe even continue to expand on the style.

I did this for Black Claw, White Veil, and Ebon Shadow, and then another one for Fire Dragon, Steel Devil, and Snake Style.

Comment

Tiger/Ebon Shadow/Frost Thorn Knuckles

Ideally paired with Solar Athletics (Foe Vaulting Method and Thunderbolt Attack Prana) and Stealth (Blinding Battle Feint) and with the Pain Tolerance merit (because who doesn't like having all their health levels as -0 levels?).

Essence 1 (no Mastery or Solar Charms): Enter Stealth (using Nothing But Shadows if required) and assume Ebon Shadow Form. If possible, alpha strike with Glacial Beast Claw: you reset to 6i and can Reflexively switch to Tiger form. Seven Points of Weakness for Light/Medium armor or Striking Fury Claws for Heavy on Withering attacks, to build back up.

I feel like Earth Dragon Style would combo well -- Force of the Mountain is a very modest dip for double 10s on Decisives (Earth Dragon Form and Perfection of Earth Body being fantastic for a Tiger Stylist with Frost Thorn Knuckles, even if not a Deeb). Water Dragon Style is very "meh" for this combo for Celestials, but with Aura (and the ability to ignore the Terrestrial keyword) it's a brilliant bolt-on for Deebs.

Originally posted by vwllss trnt prncss View Post
              I'll propose an entry for "Most Confusing":
              Black Claw Style, Righteous Devil Style, and a set of Silken Armor with evocations that make it very difficult to fight you outside a duel.
              IDK. They don't share a Form weapon.

Open Palm Caress: Only works if you don't win Join Battle. No form weapon for Mastery effect.

Torn Lotus Defense: Backbone of the build. Works perfectly.

Flexing the Emerald Claw: No Form weapon.

Black Claw Form: So useful to a Righteous Devil. Arguably better than Righteous Devil Form.

Doe Eyes Defense: Works fine.

Storm Calming Embrace: No Form weapon.

Table Turning Reversal: No Form weapon. And Righteous Devil does it better.

Outrage Kindling Cry: Oh so deliciously good...

Heart Ripping Claw: Again, no Form weapon.

There's a really cool theme here, but it's mechanically shaky. (Totally showing this to my ST though.)
              Last edited by JohnDoe244; 02-29-2020, 12:06 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Interesting. I don't get the business about Pain Tolerance? That just lowers -2s to -1s, and -4 to -3? I mean, it's a good merit, but I assume you said it because there's some synergy I'm missing?

I play...

Comment

Anyone have a recommendation for DBs? I'm particularly interested to see if anyone has any ideas that aren't all about Immaculate Dragon Styles.

My friend uses Snake/Air Dragon/Crane. There's some interesting stuff going on, but they don't seem to gel perfectly.

I play...

Comment

For DBs I like much Water Dragon Style and Crane Style, activating the Crane Form and using the Water Dragon's first charm, you can make an attack, make a full defense and still making Counterattacks!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      Interesting. I don't get the business about Pain Tolerance? That just lowers -2s to -1s, and -4 to -3? I mean, it's a good merit, but I assume you said it because there's some synergy I'm missing?
                      Evocations of the Frost-Thorn Knuckles
                      When attuned [...] she awakens Rimebound Predator Endurance at no cost.

Rimebound Predator Endurance
                      Duration: One scene
                      Drawing on a hunting beast’s tenacity, the wielder numbs herself to cold and pain. If she has Survival 4+ or a Survival specialty that relates to frigid environs, she also ignores one point of wound penalty.

Anyone have a recommendation for DBs? I'm particularly interested to see if anyone has any ideas that aren't all about Immaculate Dragon Styles.

My friend uses Snake/Air Dragon/Crane. There's some interesting stuff going on, but they don't seem to gel perfectly.
                      Single Point Shining Into the Void/Water Dragon/Stormcaller worked surprisingly well.

Water Dragon is going to combo basically with everything because Become The Hammer means you can enter Water Aura every turn (congratulations you're no longer bound by the Terrestrial Keyword). Tiger Claws are a pretty common Form weapon as an added bonus. (Crane/Water Dragon looks amazing.)

Earth Dragon is pretty fantastic too -- compatible with all armor, but also containing non-armor defensive options. You'll want to use Force of the Mountain on every attack (and at 3m, it's under your mote regen) so Aura isn't much of an issue. Form weapon is an issue -- you're going unarmed with this one. Good synergy with Tiger style -- knock foes prone, get +3 Charm dice to attack them, they spend Initiative to try to stand back up.

I feel like there should be a Righteous Devil/Wood Dragon(/White Reaper?) combo, but I can't quite put it together (lots of damage boosters and helpful ancillary effects, no stratagey beyond "spend a lot of motes")... Likewise Air Dragon/Ebon Shadow(/White Veil?) seems like it should work. The main problem is managing Aura, but fighting with the Terrestrial Keyword/out of Aura shouldn't be too crippling.

Fire Dragon/Steel Devil... I don't see. I know it's the "go to" combo but holy hill -- have you looked at those mote costs? Native Melee is half the Charms at half the motes, with easier Aura. I think this is a trap option. (DrLoveMonkey posted a great defense of this combo though so... IDK.)

I'm surprised Snake/Air/Crane don't gel. Crane is good for Deebs, even with the Terrestrial keyword. Air is a solid ultility suite with Onslaught negation (that combos well with Snake). Snake is... awkward with the Terrestrial keyword... and remains awkward even expending Aura (as it only gives you 1 Tick's grace, and generating Air Aura is a pain -- I'm guessing your friend uses Soaring Leap Technique a lot to position?)... but Reflexive Clash (Snake Strikes the Heel) and post roll defence (Serpentine Evasion/Countless Coils Evasion) seem like they should be a godsend to Crane stylists. You need Dodge.

Going completely away from Immaculate Styles... Black Claw/White Veil/Dreaming Pearl?
                      Last edited by JohnDoe244; 02-29-2020, 03:03 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

So, technically Rainwalker isn’t a form weapon for Crane style.... but, once you get it set up, you can set it floating in the air around you and pull out your fans or hook swords or something. And it gives further boosts to taking full defense actions which Crane really likes. Are there any other counterattack focused styles?

Comment

What made you think of Righteous Devil/Wood Dragon? I'd expect it to be combined with other staff styles; so that is White Reaper, Golden Janissary and Laughing Monster, I think.

Was your idea to use Righteous Devil to attack and Wood Dragon to defend?

I play...

Comment

What made you think of Righteous Devil/Wood Dragon? I'd expect it to be combined with other staff styles; so that is White Reaper, Golden Janissary and Laughing Monster, I think.

Was your idea to use Righteous Devil to attack and Wood Dragon to defend?
                            Righteous Devil Form lets you use your gun as a staff and lets you use many RD Charms with said gunstaff, so by combining the 2 you get Wood Dragon but with a gunstaff instead of a bowstaff.

Comment

It counts as a staff? Hmmm, now that is interesting.

I play...

Comment

Working...
                              X