Manual of Exalted Power Eternals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kindledRadial View Post
    That said, I think 3rd ed could do with a quick and dirty term for the "point value" of sentimentality: you add up all the Intimacies that support the action (1st tiers are one point, second are 2, third are 3), subtract any Intimacies that oppose the action, and what you're left with is your "Emotional Investment Value" or some such.
    That's a little more mechanically complex than I'd think would be necessary. I'd lean more towards charm prerequisites that call for 'A Defining compassion-based intimacy', or 'two Temperance-based intimacies' because while that might take more words, and call for the Storyteller being on board, it's quicker to quantify at a glance.

A similar mechanic might be to have the charms actually auto-upgrade based on the intensity of whichever intimacy they are being used to act upon. Fighting to defend kids? Your magic will work better based on the intensity of the intimacy you have in relation to those kids... like, converted directly into bonus dice.

You could even build charm mechanics that link specifically to intimacies, ensuring that a given intimacy will never diminish below a certain point, reflecting the fact that the character magically will never NOT care about whichever thing that intimacy applies to.

Fact is, intimacies are how the 3rd edition models stuff that 1st edition modeled with Virtues, and 2nd edition only really kept them on as a lingering legacy mechanic.

Comment

Originally posted by Caffeine Delusions View Post

That's a little more mechanically complex than I'd think would be necessary. I'd lean more towards charm prerequisites that call for 'A Defining compassion-based intimacy', or 'two Temperance-based intimacies' because while that might take more words, and call for the Storyteller being on board, it's quicker to quantify at a glance.

A similar mechanic might be to have the charms actually auto-upgrade based on the intensity of whichever intimacy they are being used to act upon. Fighting to defend kids? Your magic will work better based on the intensity of the intimacy you have in relation to those kids... like, converted directly into bonus dice.

You could even build charm mechanics that link specifically to intimacies, ensuring that a given intimacy will never diminish below a certain point, reflecting the fact that the character magically will never NOT care about whichever thing that intimacy applies to.
      These are really good suggestions! And you're right, the reason I discarded the "sum value" Intimacy mechanic idea was that it required a reconsideration of values for every Excellency-enhanced roll. A simpler solution would be to simply have the player pick a few 2nd-tier Intimacies to base their magic off of. In fact, you could allow an unlimited number of Excellencies in that way, each one adding dice to the others up to their 10-die max cap (which would have to be based off of something else, possibly Willpower). Maybe their Castes are still Virtue-based, but that just informs which Intimacy Excellency you take for free at starting: If you are a Mercy Caste then you pick an immutable Intimacy based on helping others, if Courage then it must be an Intimacy that requires conflict to fulfill, etc.

Only issue would be the Charm prereqs. Intimacies SHOULD be mutable, since players often find that Intimacies they thought should define them at the start of a game need adjustment later, and I'd hate for Eternals to be boxed in to supporting an old and outdated character concept for Charm reasons. In other words, if you base your Charm loadout off of "loving kids" and then you have one and realize that kids are awful, your entire Charmset shouldn't disappear. It might, in all honestly, be easier to only give them Essence prereqs and just have the Charms only work when Intimacies apply.
      Last edited by kindledRadial; 06-23-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Maybe I'm missing it, but when I'm looking at the Anima Effect powers of the various castes, I don't see any activation costs listed. Can they simply use them at will for free?

Comment

Originally posted by Sadric of Ysyr View Post
          Maybe I'm missing it, but when I'm looking at the Anima Effect powers of the various castes, I don't see any activation costs listed. Can they simply use them at will for free?
          They have a for benefit one listed generally second but the first and more powerful effect require the expenditure of a virtue channel instead of motes.

Comment

OK, gotcha, thanks! Another question, more fluff than crunch: I saw a couple of places throughout the book where it refers to the Eternal equivalent of a Solar Perfect Circle as a Square, two pairs of karmic twins, including one of each of the four Castes. I was thinking, though, wouldn't a more "perfect" grouping of Eternal Exalted be an Octagon? Four pairs of karmic twins, including one Bringer and one Keeper of each of the four Castes? (Plus, you know, turn an 8 on its side, you get ∞... Kinda goes with Eternity)

That plus the awesomeness of soul-sharing Truths would mean we get to make Sense8 an Exalted story
            Last edited by Sadric of Ysyr; 06-29-2020, 12:48 AM.

Comment

It was considered, we ended up going with the square since most games won't have 8 players and it would let them distribute better in assignment to solar circles in the age of glory. Two squares working together would have been a auspicious number though I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadric of Ysyr View Post
                OK, gotcha, thanks! Another question, more fluff than crunch: I saw a couple of places throughout the book where it refers to the Eternal equivalent of a Solar Perfect Circle as a Square, two pairs of karmic twins, including one of each of the four Castes. I was thinking, though, wouldn't a more "perfect" grouping of Eternal Exalted be an Octagon? Four pairs of karmic twins, including one Bringer and one Keeper of each of the four Castes? (Plus, you know, turn an 8 on its side, you get ∞... Kinda goes with Eternity)

That plus the awesomeness of soul-sharing Truths would mean we get to make Sense8 an Exalted story
                Definitely love where your story is at there! But yeah, the REAL reason we made their traditional grouping a 4 person thing was because we know from our own experience that groups of more than five players quickly become unwieldy, plus its hard to organize that many people every week, and we didn't want to make that like a standard thing.

The square also left open this theme of Eternals being "support" Exalts, and the expectation that they would travel with other Exalted and use Truths to split their charms which is TERRIFYING in practice. A square of four Eternals all armed with different and broadly-applicable Charms and soul sharing can turn a mere mortal into a celestial powerhouse, nevermind a Solar or Lunar.

As an addendum to the Caste Anima Banner question, Eternals simply do not have a mote cost to activate their caste anima powers. They have one power that is always on even when they don't flare at all, and one power that is sort of a trump card effect that requires a Virtue channel to power. But no motes are required, and they can use either effect at any level of anima flare, including no flare.

Comment

Thanks again! I gotta say these guys are a really great concept, and I'm liking them more and more the more I read. Thanks for all your efforts putting this together!

I do have another question, this time about Limit. Given that Eternal Charms are Virtue-based, it stands to reason that they would need to develop their Virtues to high ratings in order to access their greater powers. However, if they accrue Limit any time they suppress ANY Virtue rated 3+, aren't they ultimately going to end up as walking Limit capacitors? I realize you created the new mechanic of Limit Release actions to try and compensate for this, but what do you think about perhaps scaling back the accrual of Limit to any time they suppress their Caste or Favored Virtues (which, let's be honest, are pretty much always going to be 3+ right out of the gate)?

Comment

Limit was a careful balance. The objective was limit gain on par with abyssal resonance gain since they had the release triggers and placing it on all the virtues achieved that in playtesting. We also leaned towards being too harsh since changing it to be less harsh would be easier for storytellers to implement. The limits themselves are also a bit different being something of a step between a standard celestial limit break and fair folk bedlam so you can potentially play a character in limit break for a few sessions depending on which one you have.

Comment

Their Limit Breaks were definitely the most challenging thing to balance for me. Part of what we came up with was an acknowledgement that in our games a lot of times players don't take limit for things they should take limit for because they and the ST flat out forget what their character's Limit Break conditions are. There was also the fear that we had, in same cases, kind of stepped lightly around the canonically accepted fact that Solars are the most powerful Celestial Exalt, so we had to give Eternals an Achilles heel to balance out things like fusion and revival.

Another factor was that I wanted to change how the Limit Breaks worked so that instead of forcing outrageous behavior for a scene or day you would have to take a "role playing prompt" for an entire session, with relatively mild mechanical drawbacks. The idea was that the Limit Breaks would start to feel more like character flaws than temporary madness. Like if you take the Passion of Fortune, people you travel with just know that you are a spend thrift, and that you can sometimes be cartoonishly miserly about money. Compare that with the Solar Temperance Flaw Overindulgence, where your character does nothing but commit debaucheries all day. So they last longer and build up faster, but they are easier and more enjoyable to play through.

That said, if your players DO find this sort of Limit Break annoying, then by all means scale back the rules a bit. Only giving Limit when they suppress their Caste/Favored Virtue would be one way, though you could also just let the occasional Limit Break condition slide without a roll.

Comment

Working...
                      X