• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Anime Inspirations list

Just like the title stated

All of them?

Comment

I'd probably start with Berserk, Fushigi Yuugi, Slayers, and Inuyasha. I'm probably dating myself a smidge with those.

Comment

Do you mind if they're redundant with ones already in the books from various editions?

Comment

Definitely "Record of Lodoss War".

Comment

I like a bit tower of God. I've read the manwha a while ago, and it's getting an anime adaptation. I think all the stuff with the Jahad family being godlike and the rankers compared to the rest of the people show the difference between mortals and Exalted

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Record of the Lodoss War was a great anime and a good game, Bleach (all honesty, Ichigo is how I build unwoven coadjuators, the way he interacts with Zangetsu and his inner hollow), Overlord is awesome for seeing how a celestial level exalted may act should they end up transported to a new land, I don't like Gundamn that much but I could def see it being awesome if you want inspiration for mech warfare or Alchemical inspiration before they turn into cities, chrome shelled regios is good if you want to get some inspiration on how Alchemicals work in cities and balance jobs on top of being heroes. there are so many anime shows out there that you could watch for inspiration though

Comment

Magi is a really good anime as well, great if you want to have some inspiration for evocations and giving your weapons some personality

Comment

Katanagatari is very good also. I think it can gives a lot of inspiration for Martial Art style characters.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Mushishi is really good inspiration for "weird shit" that you might see in Creation. The setting involves tiny nature spirits that do all kinds of weird things. Sometimes humans interact with them and bad things happen just because the spirits don't "understand" humans or aren't really capable of rational thought in the first place. It's not hard to take something from the show and use it as inspiration to create a spirit or elemental in Creation, and use it to highlight one of the small ways in which Creation is different from the real world, and is filled with strange and wondrous things. Probably of all of the anime/manga series I've checked out, it's the one I've mined the most for ideas for Exalted.

Comment

Full Metal Alchemist (the original)has neat examples for sorcery, and the consequences of trying to violate its limits.

I enjoyed that anime so much that I've struggled to enjoy other anime since.

Comment

Originally posted by Tytalus View Post
                        Full Metal Alchemist (the original)has neat examples for sorcery, and the consequences of trying to violate its limits.
                        Sister: Oh cool, you have a dog?

Tucker: Uh, that's not a dog, that's my kid.

Sister: Oh, cool, you have a kid that looks like a dog?

Church: Nice save.

Comment

Avatar: The Last Airbender - PERFECT inspiration for how Spirits and Elementals work in Exalted. While its status as anime is contentious at best? It's so anime adjacent it deserves to be mentioned, as most anime fans have PROBABLY given it a shot. Hell, my local anime con didn't think twice about letting it be a fan suite, or even given said suite first place.

Fuushigi Yuugi - definitely works, old or not.

Yona of the Dawn - if nothing else the visuals, and a bit of Lunars and other stuff too.

Chaika: Coffin Princess - Hardcore into the Magitech and such. It's not nearly as Abyssal sounding as the name implies, Chaika's more Twilight Caste Solar than anything. But holy crap does the Magitech feature! Very good visual inspiration.

Scrapped Princess - Same author as Chaika, IIRC. And pretty similar comments. It's very Magitech full.

Escaflowne - Where do you think War Walkers came from?

I'll second Berserk and Slayers! They were a big way I sold it back in 1e. Heck, the first game I ran had a blatant Guts and a Lina Inverse ripoff in them.

Heroic Legend of Arslan - Definitely the less personally powerful side, but the epic side for sure.

Demon Slayer - A bit of Lunars and such for the Demon Side. And the main chars are very Solar-like. Or Dragonblooded. Great stunt inspiration for what Charms could look like too.

Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers - Very Mesoamerican based fantasy, and perfect inspiration for Lunars and Solars alike. This has some great visuals of a non-Western fantasy. Not to mention cool powers!

It really is weird that it is hard to find more recent inspirations, but also kind of understandable given how much the Isekai genre has taken over the fantasy side of anime. Though even then?

Konosuba - yeah, ok. It's STUPID. But let's not lie to ourselves, this is what most of our groups end up as. Megumin is the Twilight that went ALL IN on the best spell she could... and can cast it once before she's useless. Darkness has ALL the defensive charms, but nothing else, really. And then there's all the Magitech stuff in it. Hell, some of the villains and such would be great inspiration for Death Knights, Fae, and the likes.

Princess Connect - This season, and perhaps even MORE stupid than Konosuba. From the same creator too. And great examples of Beastfolk in it too.

Last edited by Dulahan; 05-24-2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Just noticed this thread. Hmmm...In/Spectre is a good portrayal of interacting with spirits for the non-exalted might be like.
                            Ruroni Kenshin for that badass Single Point Dawn you've wanted to build.
                            Black Lagoon for how I see Nexus.
                            My Hero Academia for no other reason than Deku vs Chisaki (overhaul) as what I see a knock down drag out fight between a master solar brawler and a very, very badass lunar with all sorts of shifting and mutations.
                            Samurai Champloo...Lookshyan style Ronin and Outcaste swordmaster collide!
                            Saiyuki cuz that's my group in a nutshell.
                            The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious because there's always one in every damn group.
                            God of the Highschool when it gets released cuz I've read the webtoon and this is Exalted Martial Arts!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                              Sister: Oh cool, you have a dog?

Tucker: Uh, that's not a dog, that's my kid.

Sister: Oh, cool, you have a kid that looks like a dog?

Church: Nice save.
                              Now now don't be too mean here.

Comment

Working...
                              X