Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanna play an Elemetal hero? Go Solar ~πŸ’–

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wanna play an Elemetal hero? Go Solar ~πŸ’–




    So I want to import Purple Mad Lightning into Exalted, a character from one of the manhua that I'm reading, and he practices a lightning-theme martial art like his namesake so it seems that DB is the perfect choice for him, them being elemental-theme Exalted and all. But it was dreadful, an absolute DI.SAS.TER (οΊ§η›ŠοΊ¨)

    First of all, they aren't elemental-theme exalted, they are This-Five-Specific-Elements Exalted so a lightning theme character is instantly out. There is also the fact that for some odd ass reason, each ability is fused at the hip with one element, so good luck to me if I want to have a non-wet Brawler. Not to mention investing in other charmsets (which pretty much a requirement if I want to make a strong combatant) basically turns you into A:TLA where you fly with whirlwind and then jump on flaming feet and create armor from stone, I want to play a lightning-theme brawler, not a chimera of fire-water-wind-earth, thanks.

    And now Ex3 decided to introduce the 5 elements keywords, aura and Signature charms to so I can't even reskin all the charm into lighting-theme one unless I want to get rid of all the Sig charms. And now I probably have to go with a Solar who has mutations, artifacts, or MA with a lightning theme since most Solar charms lack obvious vfx which mean the lightning effect will be more front and center compare to playing a DB where I piss fire, shit water, fart leaves, and puke stone.

    Am I missing something? Or should non-5-Elements characters really go with Solar or Exigent instead of DB?


    The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

  • #2
    Exigent seems better, imo, if you're absolutely set on a lightning themed brawler. Exigent of Storms or Thunder, maybe.

    Solars are top end, obviously, but they're still got a color theme going on of golden sunlight. Not something to fit lightning, you see.

    Comment


    • #3
      That's my core assumption and the reason I love Solars. I can reskin almost any kind of heroic character concept into a Solar thanks to evocation and their powers usually being "generic", usually no matter what their original themes are. I'm a very flexible ST though, some might totally not accept that any of the expression of your Charm is not a glowing golden sunlight (See Marcob's answer for example).

      The other way around would be to accept that DB powers express less the elements the Charms are linked to and more the element you want to be linked to, even if mechanically it can create some kind of dissonance.


      My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, if you want to import "Swordsman with some lightning attack magic" and "Brawler with some volcano magic" and the like into Exalted, and you're not wanting them to broadly express elements across all their skills, then Solar+Evokations, or Exigent at a push, is the way to go.

        DBs are more for when you start with a personality that you're interested in, and an interest in Dragon blooded magic as Exalted presents, it and you're not too commited to the details beyond that. They aren't too much good for "Expy of any hero with element magic" (Airbenders, etc) and you really, really don't want to compromise at all on the detail. In that case you might get a better result out of "Solars with a bit of elemental power glued on the side through sorcery and Evokations".

        Comment


        • #5
          You’re never really going to get a direct 1-1 anyway unless Purple Mad Lightning also has a castemark and an anima banner, you’re always going to have to give something up.

          That being said, you might want to go with a DB anyway, unless you’re concerned about being too weak or you don’t want the social status that comes with being a DB. Solars have anima banners, and they can be gold with the red of the dawn or purple of twilight, but they’re never a crackling storm of violet electricity that arcs around them. If you want to go with a lightning brawler it might be a good idea to just get Air Dragon Style, although that also includes wind which could be pretty easily refluffed as lightning in some cases, or maybe replaced in others.

          If you want to make sure you completely ditch anything that isn’t specifically lightning though, you can be an air aspect, take a 5-dot set of blue jade smashfists, a 5-dot set of whatever blue jade armor you want, make them heirloom artifacts from your bloodline and fill them up with evocations, while only taking the lightning themed charms from your base set like Elemental Bolt Attack.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Marcob View Post
            Exigent seems better, imo, if you're absolutely set on a lightning themed brawler. Exigent of Storms or Thunder, maybe.

            Solars are top end, obviously, but they're still got a color theme going on of golden sunlight. Not something to fit lightning, you see.
            I’m not an Anima police so Solar in my stories pretty can have any color and effect for their banner, not just golden light.

            Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
            DBs are more for when you start with a personality that you're interested in, and an interest in Dragon blooded magic as Exalted presents, it and you're not too commited to the details beyond that. They aren't too much good for "Expy of any hero with element magic" (Airbenders, etc) and you really, really don't want to compromise at all on the detail. In that case you might get a better result out of "Solars with a bit of elemental power glued on the side through sorcery and Evokations".
            Yeah, DB requires some pretty heavy buy-in that I just don’t have the energy for.

            Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
            You’re never really going to get a direct 1-1 anyway unless Purple Mad Lightning also has a castemark and an anima banner, you’re always going to have to give something up.
            Air Dragon Style just doesn’t really interested me, plus I want him to be a brawler. And I’m super lax in the anima department so Solar Dawn with golden lightning anima that got tainted black with forbidden techniques just sounds much more easier.

            Originally posted by Chausse View Post
            That's my core assumption and the reason I love Solars. I can reskin almost any kind of heroic character concept into a Solar thanks to evocation and their powers usually being "generic", usually no matter what their original themes are. I'm a very flexible ST though, some might totally not accept that any of the expression of your Charm is not a glowing golden sunlight (See Marcob's answer for example).
            It’s true! Translating other characters into Exalted using Solar has been so much easier for me then using other splats in which I have to give up either their iconic powers or adding additional aesthetic that I don’t want, so very terrible.
            Last edited by Jen; 05-12-2020, 12:37 PM.


            The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

            Comment


            • #7
              Solars are definitely the most versatile in that regard. Night castes especially since you can just mute everything and not even have to have an anima banner your whole life. If you’re trying to take something from another IP Solars offer the most blank slate to build off of. No matter how Lunar a character might feel, being a wild land druid with a deep connection to their society and animal aspects, if they’re not a shapeshifter they’re not a Lunar, whereas they might actually be a Solar.

              Even Abyssals aren’t as good for it, or at least they weren’t in 2e, due to the weird way they respire essence and the whole trappings of death thing.

              Comment


              • #8
                It's not impossible to make a single Element DB, it just might need Homebrew.

                Air isn't just Ice, it's also Lightning, so your hypothetical Lightning DB is an Air Aspect with a focus of Lightning instead of Ice, and your charms would be Air based.

                The Abilities also aren't fused at the hip; to an Element, it's just that the gameline has only produced 2 'elemental' trees for each; one in WFHW, and a second one started in WFHW and finished in Heirs. It's possible to create Air Brawl, which would be your idea of Lightning Brawler, but you'd have to homebrew it, which can be pretty daunting; but you don't have to make 20 Air aspected charms for each ability, you'd only need maybe 3 or 4 to start with, then expand on them later as you get EXP. The other option would be using Air Dragon Style, which pulls from those Lightning Themes, even if it might not be the best example of Purple Mad Lightning.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jen View Post
                  Am I missing something? Or should non-5-Elements characters really go with Solar or Exigent instead of DB?
                  No, you're not missing anything, and yeah, if a singular Elemental Theme is very important to your character then you'd be better off going with a Solar rather than a Dragon Blooded. One of the "issues" is that Dragon Blooded aren't based around specific elemental themes but rather are based around every elemental theme. Let's say you make a Wood Aspect and go Archery. You're going to be using Wood themed Charms and maybe your Anima and theme is "flower petals" so when you flare your anima it's a flurry of flower petals and when you fire your bow there are flower petals. But then, when you Dodge you'll be using leaving puffs of smoke and fire in your wake because Dodge is a Fire Aspect Charm.

                  After Infernals came out in 2nd edition, I remember a lot of discussion about altering Dragon Blooded to work similarly where you would have 5 different massive Charm trees, one for each element. For example, a Fire Aspect would have an entire tree of Fire Charms which would allow them to have Fire themed Archery, Brawl, Linguistics, Integrity, etc., Charms whereas a Water Aspect would have a similar tree but all of the Charms would be modified to function more off of the concept of Water. I think someone even ended up homebrewing just that if I recall. When 3rd edition was announced, there was a bit of discussion about making that the new base for Dragon Blooded in 3rd edition, but ultimately the authors made it clear when 3rd edition was in the works that they preferred the "unified Elemental soldier" Dragon Blooded concept with access to the all of the elements rather than Dragon Blooded with access to only a single element.

                  In the end, if you want to play an Elemental themed character but don't like the way that Dragon Blooded function, you're going to have to homebrew. You could homebrew modifications for Dragon Blooded Charms, or you could homebrew new Charms, or you could homebrew up an entire Exigent charmset. It's a fair amount of work no matter what.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just flat out reflavor. It costs nothing, it breaks nothing, its fun, its easy.

                    Lighting Brawler? Ok, make a Solar Brawler. As take Stormcaller as your artifact weapon and ask your ST to let it be an artifact fist instead. Or just pull a Naruto and say the demon is bound to your soul. You get artifact stats and the sick lightning abilities. TAP literally tells you to make a signature effect for it, make yours a lighting flashstep. Lightning punch. Lightning kick. Take Stormwind Rider as a control sorcery and make that the Unleashing of Raw Electricity. The Burning Name becomes a lighting bolt. Throwing knives are electric blasts. The list goes on. Anima? Lighting Vortex. Dawn Caste abilities? Channel power into your body.

                    I get wanting to say "How can I make a new thing for XYZ?", but I usually take what exists and slap a coat of paint over it. Exalted encourages this. Go wild.

                    Oh, and on the subject:
                    Originally posted by Jen View Post
                    I’m not an Anima police so Solar in my stories pretty can have any color and effect for their banner, not just golden light.
                    Exalted page 175

                    Originally posted by Exalted Third Edition
                    ​Your character’s anima is a reflection of who she is, incorporating
                    colors, sounds, and imagery suited to her temperament,
                    ideals, and Caste.

                    ...

                    The anima of a Night
                    Caste assassin might shroud her in a flickering glow like
                    torchlight, casting dancing shadows every which way. As
                    the display intensifies, the shadows grow longer, turning
                    into cloaked, blade-wielding silhouettes that mirror her
                    every move like puppets in a shadow-play.
                    The stock Solar image is "Golden Super Saiyan" but that's not an actual rule.
                    Last edited by Sorcerous Overlord; 05-13-2020, 01:41 AM.


                    Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
                    -Chausse

                    Message me for Japanese translations.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                      Even Abyssals aren’t as good for it, or at least they weren’t in 2e, due to the weird way they respire essence and the whole trappings of death thing.
                      Plus they got chained at the neck by 13 NPC since there aren't any free-flying Abyssal exaltation around, and their charms vfx are much more obvious than Solar's.

                      Originally posted by Flare View Post
                      It's not impossible to make a single Element DB, it just might need Homebrew.

                      Air isn't just Ice, it's also Lightning, so your hypothetical Lightning DB is an Air Aspect with a focus of Lightning instead of Ice, and your charms would be Air based.

                      The Abilities also aren't fused at the hip; to an Element, it's just that the gameline has only produced 2 'elemental' trees for each; one in WFHW, and a second one started in WFHW and finished in Heirs. It's possible to create Air Brawl, which would be your idea of Lightning Brawler, but you'd have to homebrew it, which can be pretty daunting; but you don't have to make 20 Air aspected charms for each ability, you'd only need maybe 3 or 4 to start with, then expand on them later as you get EXP. The other option would be using Air Dragon Style, which pulls from those Lightning Themes, even if it might not be the best example of Purple Mad Lightning.
                      That is a lot of homebrew that I would need to do though, while playing a lightning-theme Solar brawler would be much much easier. The lighting hair can even be the result of activating Ascendant Battle Visage!

                      Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                      In the end, if you want to play an Elemental themed character but don't like the way that Dragon Blooded function, you're going to have to homebrew. You could homebrew modifications for Dragon Blooded Charms, or you could homebrew new Charms, or you could homebrew up an entire Exigent charmset. It's a fair amount of work no matter what.
                      Such a shame that there aren't many lightning charms in the DB set so I can steal it to make an Exigent of thunder. Though I guess I can just reskin the charm into having lightning theme...

                      Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
                      The stock Solar image is "Golden Super Saiyan" but that's not an actual rule.
                      You would be surprised that there is such a thing at Anima purist where anything that isn't sunny and golden won't be allowed as anima banner for some players 😨


                      The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It's true it's a lot of Homebrew. I won't deny that. The other option of just reskinning all the charms you want to be Air themed and thus Lightning isn't that far out either. It wouldn't really break anything, after all.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Flare View Post
                          It's true it's a lot of Homebrew. I won't deny that. The other option of just reskinning all the charms you want to be Air themed and thus Lightning isn't that far out either. It wouldn't really break anything, after all.
                          Aren't I then being able to just use Sig charms left and right?


                          The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jen View Post

                            Aren't I then being able to just use Sig charms left and right?
                            Can you accept to just resin every element of any Charm into lightning ? don't change the mechanic of interaction between elements but just have every single Charm do lightning stuff


                            My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Chausse View Post

                              Can you accept to just resin every element of any Charm into lightning ? don't change the mechanic of interaction between elements but just have every single Charm do lightning stuff
                              You mean, like, just keeping all the elemental keyword and aura switching but the vfx is lightning?


                              The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X