X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by Lioness View Post
    Problem is everything we've been told about the Liminals has been to downplay their significance into the ground. Right now they come across as too rare, too weak and too disconnected from each other.

That might be because they came first (2e Masters of Jade) and the developers had to convince Abyssal players that their splat wasn't going to be put down.
    At the moment we have three books worth of setting material that has a very strong priority on transmitting the world to us in terms of these concentrated snapshots of complicated situations. It is a trend that was also introduced in Masters of Jade. It appears to be the main resolution in which we see Exigents and Liminals.

I think they are ideally suited for it. I think impact on the world stage is overrated anyway, but at some point even Mnemon needs to step down and examine one of those stories for the satrapies or what have you personally, and oh shit, here's the vengeful Chosen of that mill god you executed to make the situation a lot more complicated than it seemed (with power more sophisticated than a God-blood or mutant, and a deeper commitment). Here's a Liminal to represent the interests of the unquiet dead (or the community that was tired of lack of official response), who is more intertwined with the situation than even a Terrestrial exorcist would be.

That said, even the Exigents possess a capacity to be networked into something with greater scope, if I guess right about the Architects.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Dulahan thank you 😊! I didn’t know that.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    Originally posted by Kim View Post

I love the Liminals. Love everything about them. And this is, in no small part, one of the big things that draws me to them.
    Exalted is such a big world and having an exalt-type that is connected to an interesting part of the setting's metapysics without that connection bearing the trappings of a story in itself, and thus encouraging the story to be built and focused around the characters and their personal struggles and backgrounds, seems awesome. And goes exceptionally well with the Promethean/Frankenstein-themes (which I am, admittedly, a big sucker for)
    They seem angled for such a nice span of stories and tropes. You've got the aforementioned Frankenstein/Promethean stuff, plus clone stories and amnesiac stories and other stories of being burdened with the identity and legacy of another.

Add to this the outcast-hunter-of-monsters trope (Claymore, Berserk, the Witcher) that used to be the sole and heavy-handed remit of renegade Abyssals, and you've got something good.

Leave a comment:

• Dulahan
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    Dulahan that sounds really cool, about the other worlds. It makes sense that Creation wouldn’t be the only pocket of reality in the Wyld. (A dulahan is a headless horseman.)
    Technically that's a Dullahan! Not a Dulahan. My own Uname is basically parallel evolution from me phoneticizing a different Celtic dialect word for darkness (dubhlachan or something like that) loooonng before I ever knew about the concept of a Headless Horseman being a Dullahan.

Leave a comment:

• Kim
    replied
    Originally posted by The MG View Post
    Frankly, Liminals being individualistic and geared towards smaller-scale stories is a significant part of their appeal (to me).

It's refreshing to have a splat that doesn't waste time on the great impersonal politics of the setting, instead just existing as individuals to slot seamlessly into whatever stories you want to tell.

I love the Liminals. Love everything about them. And this is, in no small part, one of the big things that draws me to them.
    Exalted is such a big world and having an exalt-type that is connected to an interesting part of the setting's metapysics without that connection bearing the trappings of a story in itself, and thus encouraging the story to be built and focused around the characters and their personal struggles and backgrounds, seems awesome. And goes exceptionally well with the Promethean/Frankenstein-themes (which I am, admittedly, a big sucker for)

Leave a comment:

• Iceblade44
    replied
    Theres also things with Liminal themes that has been expanded by the current devs that no splat has. Body Horror is just one of their themes, Mediumship and Memory according to them will be the other, which has piqued my interest. Liminals are ghost hunters, for all that entails. When in the past Abyssals were the only ones who could meaningfully interact with the dead, Liminals opens them up in ways that Abyssals can't. So I'm interested to see how it will look.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    Frankly, Liminals being individualistic and geared towards smaller-scale stories is a significant part of their appeal (to me).

It's refreshing to have a splat that doesn't waste time on the great impersonal politics of the setting, instead just existing as individuals to slot seamlessly into whatever stories you want to tell.

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    Originally posted by Sadric of Ysyr View Post
    I really think the Liminals are just plain unnecessary (I mean, weakish Frankenstein Exalted that are like someone took Alchemical, Abyssal, and Terrestrial themes, threw them in a blender and hit puree? No thanks).
    Problem is everything we've been told about the Liminals has been to downplay their significance into the ground. Right now they come across as too rare, too weak and too disconnected from each other.

That might be because they came first (2e Masters of Jade) and the developers had to convince Abyssal players that their splat wasn't going to be put down.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyman201
    Besides, hasn't "Things that came from Worlds that are not Creation" been a thing as long as... Uh, shit, what's that well the Shoat on the Mire has? The Well of Uldr?
    The Far Shores got a reference in the 1e core.
    Also, Shoat’s the Abyssal; Dowager is the Deathlord.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 06-26-2020, 07:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Dulahan that sounds really cool, about the other worlds. It makes sense that Creation wouldn’t be the only pocket of reality in the Wyld. (A dulahan is a headless horseman.)

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I think Minton said that with the Getimians, they aren't Isekai'd from other existing timelines. They had the POTENTIAL for what they COULD have done, but they didn't actually do it. The Creation they remember never existed. They could have changed the world, but they didn't. Because they never existed.
    Fascinating! Now I’m really looking forward to the Getimians 😊.

Leave a comment:

• Iceblade44
    replied
    Damn double post

Leave a comment:

• Iceblade44
    replied
    Dowager has the Well and yeah that's it. She pulls up crazy things from it and looks like it's going stay in 3e. Though I think her interactions and motivations with it will be a bit different in this edition

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Dulahan View Post
    I almost wonder how much the "There's other worlds" thing is going to play into later parts of this edition. We've already got the example of the "Old Heaven" in the Southwest. We've got the one group of Dragonblooded that want to get home to some other world. It's almost adding a rather Phantasy Star sort of feel to the setting, if anything.

Not to mention the other implications, did Solars and Co back in the First Age actually GO to these other worlds? Are they just other pockets of Creation sealed off by the Wyld? What's up?
    I think Minton said that with the Getimians, they aren't Isekai'd from other existing timelines. They had the POTENTIAL for what they COULD have done, but they didn't actually do it. The Creation they remember never existed. They could have changed the world, but they didn't. Because they never existed.

Besides, hasn't "Things that came from Worlds that are not Creation" been a thing as long as... Uh, shit, what's that well the Shoat on the Mire has? The Well of Uldr?

Leave a comment:

• Dulahan
    replied
    I almost wonder how much the "There's other worlds" thing is going to play into later parts of this edition. We've already got the example of the "Old Heaven" in the Southwest. We've got the one group of Dragonblooded that want to get home to some other world. It's almost adding a rather Phantasy Star sort of feel to the setting, if anything.

Not to mention the other implications, did Solars and Co back in the First Age actually GO to these other worlds? Are they just other pockets of Creation sealed off by the Wyld? What's up?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X