Exigent KS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dulahan View Post
    In a lot of ways, I find Exigents to be almost... what I always wanted Exalted to be to begin with? To really open things up to the weird and wonderful.
    Yeah, I will probably never make my own because my homebrew skills are weak but it really opens up the setting to have a way to make so many custom exalts as needed without having to house rule them in. I am loving how much more alive and diverse the setting has become in 3E with things like lunars doing stuff and other things like the exigents really broadening things out.
    Last edited by Mizu; 06-24-2020, 01:00 PM.

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

I tend to think of them as the Caitiff Exalted... not that they're decried and lesser, but rather that they get to build their identity outside of the established framework of Caste and Host. I've got doubts about some of the other new exalt types (especially Liminals, whom I'd just as soon jettison), but Exigents feel like they slot in perfectly to the established framework of the setting. It's like they should've been in from the beginning.

Comment

One thing that puzzles me with Exigents (and also Liminals) is that they seem to differ from all Exalts that came before by not having a direct stake in world domination.

From the Realm to the Heavenly Bureaucracy, to the Silver Pact and all the schemes of Hell and the Underworld, each type of Exalted until now had its own flavor of "this is how the world should be and I'll make it happen". In contrast, Exigents (and Liminals) seem like they will simply be upholding their patron's will (or refuse to) with no overarching ambition.

Comment

Originally posted by Epitome View Post
          One thing that puzzles me with Exigents (and also Liminals) is that they seem to differ from all Exalts that came before by not having a direct stake in world domination.

From the Realm to the Heavenly Bureaucracy, to the Silver Pact and all the schemes of Hell and the Underworld, each type of Exalted until now had its own flavor of "this is how the world should be and I'll make it happen". In contrast, Exigents (and Liminals) seem like they will simply be upholding their patron's will (or refuse to) with no overarching ambition.

They don't really have enough in common with other exigents for them to naturally team up into an organization with enough power to gain global influence.

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
            I also can’t wait for Fangs at the Gate to officially come out too.
            Fangs At the Gate has been out for a few weeks now, actually. It's very cool!

Honestly, I have very mixed feelings about adding yet more Exalted types beyond the ones developed in previous editions. Everything I've read about the Getimians sounds like they're just canonizing the homebrew Nocturnal Exalted from 2e, which I was kind of indifferent toward in the first place, and I really think the Liminals are just plain unnecessary (I mean, weakish Frankenstein Exalted that are like someone took Alchemical, Abyssal, and Terrestrial themes, threw them in a blender and hit puree? No thanks).

But Exigents are a just plain awesome idea. Exigents are one of the best new features of 3e IMHO, because they give you room to create truly unique Exalted, which none of the previous Exalted types allow. Not only is it a fun idea for players, but STs like me can use them as a excuse to whip up a truly unique and memorable villain that the players can't look up in some sourcebook!

I'm working developing some Charms for one idea I had, the Chosen of Luranume, God of Fivefold Luck. I even had what I thought was a pretty cool idea for how his Exigent is Chosen:

The Exaltation of the Chosen of Luranume is held within a special Coin of alloyed moonsilver and starmetal which is passed from one Exigent to their successor when they die. The Coin of Fivefold Luck itself is an N/A-level Artifact to which only mortals can become attuned; in the hands of another Exalt it is completely inert. Once attuned, the Coin cannot be lost, and if stolen will always find its way back to its attuned bearer, so long as they are still alive. An Exigent of Luranume who is physically separated from the Coin, however, is bereft of any Charms requiring Essence of 3 or higher until they get it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadric of Ysyr View Post
              Fangs At the Gate has been out for a few weeks now, actually. It's very cool!
              A minor clarification for others reading the thread, that if you didn't back the kickstarter, Fangs at the Gate is not in fact out yet. It's just the backer copy for early review and last minute errata catching. It's not up for purchase yet.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
              I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post

A minor clarification for others reading the thread, that if you didn't back the kickstarter, Fangs at the Gate is not in fact out yet. It's just the backer copy for early review and last minute errata catching. It's not up for purchase yet.
                I was not aware of that, thanks for clarifying!

Comment

For Liminals I'd say their impact in Creation is very minimal yeah with the current crisis of the Realm Civil War. That is in just normal Creation that is. They probably have a much bigger impact on the Underworld, going by the implications given by the devs that if the Deathlords were fully aware of Liminals and their purpose, they would see the Liminals as powerful enemies opposed to their goals, the ones that embrace the Dark Mother's mission yeah but much conflict between them and the Deathlords, which could have some big world impacts.

So they do have ambitions for what the World should be, just not Creation though it ties to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadric of Ysyr View Post

Honestly, I have very mixed feelings about adding yet more Exalted types beyond the ones developed in previous editions. Everything I've read about the Getimians sounds like they're just canonizing the homebrew Nocturnal Exalted from 2e, which I was kind of indifferent toward in the first place, and I really think the Liminals are just plain unnecessary (I mean, weakish Frankenstein Exalted that are like someone took Alchemical, Abyssal, and Terrestrial themes, threw them in a blender and hit puree? No thanks). ...
                    Kind of a defense of Liminals and Getimians:

Getimians are actually to my understanding pretty distinct from Nocturnals. Different origins (literally), different htemes, different relationship with the world. Nocturnals were an attempt to my understanding of making another Exalt that was "part of the original set' In a way and part of how the world' history worked and expanding its cosmology. Getimians work fairly different in they're about being Aberrant, not part of the normal order of things, and upending norms of the setting. While they have a lot of aesthetic ties with Sidereals, incluidng a Masterful Expert Rivalry thing (KGB v. CIA, MI6 v. Spectre, Shaolin v. Wu-Tang), what I especially like about them is they have a more setting-affect like Solars. It's a neat mix in my view I guess. Note they were originally going to be more optional, but the devs as is thought there was more that coudl be done with them. Also I think current devs no one has read Nocturnals so that also is not their goal.

Liminals actually I think thematically do a lot ot strengthen the setting a bit, especially Abyssals. Kind of a bit that you see with Lunar Exalted in 3e to 2e is shapeshfiting being more focused. Lunars aren't generic "turn into anything' shapeshifters, they're a particular kind of shapeshfiter that has a motif, and themes to it. Abyssals in 1e and 2e actually were kind of anything remotely media undead put into a blender of the Exalt splat. Liminals kind of to some extent "offload" the body horror, zombie, and revenant aeshtetics of Abyssals. They work together it turns out to make a splat, that also draws on some of the neat ideas presented in Promethean: the Created in a "back to basics" Exalt way that introduces a splat based thematically on a WoD splat (CofD in this case). This helps strength Abyssals since it gives them a lot more coherent aestheic of Death's Lawgivers and "apex undead' seen in media (vampires, necromancer lords, liches). I think it also helps give Abyssals a bit of breathing room in that the Underworld and dead being One Splat's Thing seems to be something that braking things up helps ab it.

So yeah, in a way, it's a matter of breathing room. Kind of like how I think Exigents means if you find something neat and exotic as an Exalt, you don't need to graft it onto one fo the existing set. Liminals and Getimians kind of add to the splats they're related to by not being exactly, and letting those toher splats have some focus they didn't have as much of in the past.

And stuff.
                    My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

I think LIminals are interacting with some of the base metaphsyics of the setting in subtle ways. The gist of the dark mother and their interactions with the thresholds of life and death kind of result in this. The gist I got also from the previous devs at least is they were originally conceived to be able to fit into multi-splat groups well (they originally were gonna be in 2e). This all feels like something that probably lends themselves to subtler impact on the world. Which also kind of fits i think with their themes of horror and isolation I think. They do a task no one understands, that rarely looks pretty, and they often are the only ones capable or inclined to do.

Exigents by their kind of nature kind of sit similar in the Solar box in that what they want or do is just kind of whatever they feel fits them and their Exaltation. They ahve a lot of Solar-esque wild card goign down.

And stuff.
                      My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Honestly, the thing that really makes Getimian Exalted click to me is that 'not fitting into the world' is actually a core component of their themes, so the fact that they don't fit with the cosmology of the setting as previously established is actually a feature, rather than a bug.

Comment

I’m actually really looking forward to Liminals and Getimians.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

I almost wonder how much the "There's other worlds" thing is going to play into later parts of this edition. We've already got the example of the "Old Heaven" in the Southwest. We've got the one group of Dragonblooded that want to get home to some other world. It's almost adding a rather Phantasy Star sort of feel to the setting, if anything.

Not to mention the other implications, did Solars and Co back in the First Age actually GO to these other worlds? Are they just other pockets of Creation sealed off by the Wyld? What's up?

Comment

Originally posted by Dulahan View Post
                              I almost wonder how much the "There's other worlds" thing is going to play into later parts of this edition. We've already got the example of the "Old Heaven" in the Southwest. We've got the one group of Dragonblooded that want to get home to some other world. It's almost adding a rather Phantasy Star sort of feel to the setting, if anything.

Not to mention the other implications, did Solars and Co back in the First Age actually GO to these other worlds? Are they just other pockets of Creation sealed off by the Wyld? What's up?
                              I think Minton said that with the Getimians, they aren't Isekai'd from other existing timelines. They had the POTENTIAL for what they COULD have done, but they didn't actually do it. The Creation they remember never existed. They could have changed the world, but they didn't. Because they never existed.

Besides, hasn't "Things that came from Worlds that are not Creation" been a thing as long as... Uh, shit, what's that well the Shoat on the Mire has? The Well of Uldr?

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Dowager has the Well and yeah that's it. She pulls up crazy things from it and looks like it's going stay in 3e. Though I think her interactions and motivations with it will be a bit different in this edition

Comment

Working...
                                X