No announcement yet.

Exigent KS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay well, that's where their presentation (thus far) as lone monster hunters best suited for solo-play seems like it could get in the way of how I could use them as a Storyteller.
    Last edited by Lioness; 06-27-2020, 02:50 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

While they do seem like for solo play I'm unsure. Given the neccessary need for a mortal Intimacy or they start degrading. Well I guess it be dependent if you are able to attach the intimacy to a Exalt or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
        Okay well, that's where their presentation (thus far) as lone monster hunters best suited for solo-play seems like it could get in the way of how I could use them as a Storyteller.
        They seem less like they're for solo play than they are for being the odd one out in a group of DBs or whatever.

Of course, you're not required to integrate them into your games, making the ease with which you can ignore them another benefit of their low-key status.

Comment

I am sure that once they get some books focused on them we will find out more about how the liminals have impacted Creation and the Underworld in some notable way. In terms of releasing material Exalted 3rd edition is still super early in its life cycle and most of what we have seen comes from splat books that were focused on their titular exalt and their place in the setting with other types getting mentions pretty much solely based on their clashes or alliance with them. We really haven't gotten enough information yet to make much of a guess on how they have impacted the world while off doing things someplace else while the classic exalt types war among themselves for control of the world. Maybe the reason so few deathlords have openly moved on Creation is because the liminals keep ruining their attempts to build up enough forces to both protect their underworld powerbase and project power into Creation at the same time, for example.

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

Originally posted by Mizu View Post
            I am sure that once they get some books focused on them we will find out more about how the liminals have impacted Creation and the Underworld in some notable way. In terms of releasing material Exalted 3rd edition is still super early in its life cycle and most of what we have seen comes from splat books that were focused on their titular exalt and their place in the setting with other types getting mentions pretty much solely based on their clashes or alliance with them. We really haven't gotten enough information yet to make much of a guess on how they have impacted the world while off doing things someplace else while the classic exalt types war among themselves for control of the world. Maybe the reason so few deathlords have openly moved on Creation is because the liminals keep ruining their attempts to build up enough forces to both protect their underworld powerbase and project power into Creation at the same time, for example.

Would you think of them as diminished if they were specifically written without these things?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

The Dark Mother's a pretty logical place to look for a missing component.

She's been stated to occasionally command her Chosen (though we don't know how that works) it's not impossible that she'd see the need to send multiple Liminals the same direction, especially in light of the rise of the Abyssal Exalted.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Would you think of them as diminished if they were specifically written without these things?
                Hmmm, it kind of depends I suppose. If they are written as being a host that is somewhat united by, for example, the dark mother giving them missions directed at fulfilling a larger goal I expect them to have done something worthy of a coordinated effort of a host of exalted. If they end up being a disparate host with little coordination and unity like the exigents then I wouldn't mind them not having done some huge setting shaping thing like the theory I gave of maybe being the reason deathlords have done so little to project power into Creation since the usurpation until they got their own exalted to tip the scales (which would also give the abyssals the chance to have been awesome and change the setting by breaking the stalemate).

Comment

I would like it if Chernozem challenge the idea of what folks can do, individually or as a group, that qualifies as significant.

If that involves Deathlords at all, the most I would want is something emergent, like at some point a Deathlord going to enact some scheme and realising that the landscape of the ghosts is not what it was when last they looked. Much like how particular involvements with the Liminals might be something that much of the scope of the Guild is owed to.

But that to them was incidental; the Chernozem come up from the roots, rummage around down there in the dank of the unvisited border places, the neglected dead. Theirs is not the grand schemes or the lofty ambitions. They're the visceral, messy Exalted, the deep spiritual reflection upon something grim and unglamourous and universal.

There's a unique power to such places that they have specifically because they're not glorious. The breadth of the other Exalted is such that, sure, they have some individuals on their margins who seep down, but I should find it very compelling if there's a whole group of Exalted whose natural home is down there, furtive and easily forgotten.

I think those things would be undermined by saying "but just so you know they matter, here's also a big thing of historical import that they deliberately did". It's not only at odds with what I find attractive, I think it validates the perspective that would be unimpressed with all of those other things.

Comment

That would be cool, yeah. If they are made to be more focused on that level of thing and then the setting reflects that it would be great. But if they end up having some sort of united goal thing going on when they get released I would want them to have something to show for it like 3E lunars now having something to show for their concentrated efforts as the silver pact instead of making us wonder why they even bother working together.

Comment

Also, there being 5 aspects seems like it's going to be pretty redundant if lone Liminal in a mixed circle is the only game in town.
                      So there's probably going to be scope for a Blood Aspect and a Marrow Aspect to compare notes unless that's another legacy of their late 2e introduction.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                        Also, there being 5 aspects seems like it's going to be pretty redundant if lone Liminal in a mixed circle is the only game in town.
                        So there's probably going to be scope for a Blood Aspect and a Marrow Aspect to compare notes unless that's another legacy of their late 2e introduction.
                        I don't agree. I find the Aspects to both lend structure to the idea of how and why people make the futile attempts to raise them, and a sense of consequence to those distinctions. I should also think that the differences in focus of personality and powers provides a framework to lend more variety to character concepts and actions.

And really, all of that corpse imagery is compelling in its own right.

Comment

Working...
                        X