Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone homebrewed a strong Kraken or Leviathan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    You use your normal dice pool of Wits+Sail (I think that's what you roll for Naval Maneuvers) with free excellency dice to take you up to the Kraken's dice pool, but obviously capped in the normal way.
    Same as other animals.
    Personally, I'd have a living creature in a naval combat roll (Wits + Athletics) rather than (Wits + Sail). I think that makes a bit more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Beast of Bitter Oblivion View Post

I see thanks so for 7 motes I can go up to 15 dice with no sail and wits 5 invoking strength.
      If I'm remembering everything right, yes.

I play...
      Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
      Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

Personally, I'd have a living creature in a naval combat roll (Wits + Athletics) rather than (Wits + Sail). I think that makes a bit more sense.
        I think it makes more sense too .Animals wouldnt have concept of sail.

Comment

Originally posted by Beast of Bitter Oblivion View Post

I think it makes more sense too .Animals wouldnt have concept of sail.
          Animals might not, but Lunars are not animals.

A monkey has a good Athletics score. But it doesn't become a master mariner if you use magic to transform the monkey into a Kraken.

A Lunar might have a good Athletics score, but they still use Sail for Sail rolls. (IMHO YMMV)

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I'd have them roll Sail because they're fighting ships in a naval battle, so understanding ships helps. Also I feel it's genre-appropriate for a naval Lunar to combine sailing knowledge with being able to turn into a kraken or whale or whatever and mess up some ships.

But it's not at all unreasonable to have them roll Athletics instead. I can definitely see the argument for that too.

I play...
            Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
            Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

I know I'm too late... but here's my best offering for challenging an invested Essence 3 Solar, with Artifact, and their Circle (NB: a Tyrant Lizard or a Warstrider is about 15 yards long, a blue whale is about 32, a trieme is about 40. These things are YUGE. Even by Exalted standards. We're talking Godzilla sizes here.):

Mystic Kraken

Creation's seas are home to many strange animals. One such beast is the dreaded armored kraken. Yet the kraken is not the deadliest beast in the ocean: sometimes through dread sorcery, the warping powers of the wild, or the untapped mystic essence of unstable water demesnes can warp these giant ten armed octopi (decapi? cephalopods?) into mystical entities. No mere animal, these Mystic Kraken are easily five times larger than their natural kin, with even the very smallest specimens well over a hundred yards long. Each beast is unique, the traits below representing a "typical" specimen.

Essence: 3
              Willpower: 10
              Join battle: 10 dice (base initiative 5)
              Health Levels: -0 x8, -1 x4, -2 x4, -4 x8, Incap (see Beyond Legendary Size below)
              Actions: Feats of Strength 16 (may attempt Strength 10 feats, see Unstoppable Leviathan below), Naval Maneuvers 10 (see Terror of the Depths below), Resist Disease/Poison 14 dice (see Unstoppable Leviathan below), Senses 10 dice, Stealth 8 dice (see Terror of the Depths below), Tracking 8 dice.

Resolve: 4
              Guile: 2

Combat:

Attack (Arm) 14 dice (damage 20, minimum 5)
              Attack (Grapple) 14 dice (14 dice to control, see Unstoppable Leviathan Below)
              Attack (Beak) 10 dice (special damage)
              Combat Movement 10 dice

Evasion 2
              Parry 7

Soak 20
              Hardness 10

Special Abilities

Terror of the Depths: Subtract three successes from Awareness rolls to notice the kraken while it is deep below an observer. In combat, this applies when the kraken is at long range underwater relative to the character, or if it is moving up from long range while already hidden. It may rush enemies from long range beneath them underwater, as long as the horizontal distance between the two is no more than one range band. If the rush is successful, the kraken automatically moves one range band closer to its target on the next two turns, in addition to its normal movement.

In naval combat (Exalted, p. 245), the kraken can perform any stratagem except broadside and others that require an actual ship, using its Naval Maneuvers pool, and its Speed is +2. Successful boarding actions transition the combat from naval combat to individual scale combat. It can always perform the concealment stratagem by sub-merging, even on the open ocean. It has the following unique stratagems:
              • Sea Monster Smash (Cost: 5 Momentum): With at least one arm free, the kraken draws alongside a ship and savages it with arms like massive whips, toppling masts and splintering wood. This inflicts one level of Hull damage, or two if the kraken has at least five arms free.
              • Drag Under (Cost: 15 Momentum): With at least four arms free, the kraken drags a vessel below the waves. Mundane ships are usually destroyed by this operation, though the crew has a chance to abandon ship and escape. Artifact vessels not designed for submersion instead take four levels of damage.
              A kraken which enters Naval Combat from Stealth starts combat with five Momentum. Regardless of how combat starts, kraken do not take penalties on Naval Maneuver rolls from being outnumbered, and gain one additional Momentum at the end of each round. Kraken can undertake Ram actions for 5 Momentum (and their beaks count as rams). A Mystic Kraken may undertake Drowning Tide boarding actions for 8 Momentum. Additionally, should the Mystic Kraken lose the Naval Maneuver roll when declaring a Drowning Tide stratagem, then the kraken’s opponent’s stratagem resolves: if this stratagem was Escape, Concealment, or a Boarding Action against the kraken then proceed to the next ship/round (or individual scale combat) as normal, but if it was any other stratagem, then proceed with the Drowning Tide stratagem as if the Mystic Kraken had won the Naval Maneuver roll against its target.

Should a crew be foolhardy enough to wish to take a Boarding Action against the Mystic Kraken, they may certainly do so. But the kraken is likely to dive beneath the waves on its turn if it senses it is in danger from the parasites on its skin. Seize the Initiative, Shock and Board and Drowning Tide do not provide any additional benefit when used against the Kraken.

Beyond Legendary Size: The kraken suffers no onslaught penalties from attacks from smaller opponents, unless they’re magically inflicted by foes with the Legendary Size merit (or magically inflicted by foes who are also using magic specifically for fighting larger foes, such as Dragon Coil Technique).

Withering attacks from beings smaller than the Mystic Kraken cannot inflict Initiative damage (successful hits still award one Initiative), unless that being possesses Legendary Size. Withering attacks from smaller enemies with Legendary Size (or using appropriate magic) still cannot crash the kraken unless they have at least 10 post-soak damage dice, although attackers still gain the full amount of Initiative damage dealt.

Decisive attacks from smaller enemies cannot deal more than a single level of damage to it, not counting levels added by Charms or other magic. Smaller creatures with Legendary Size (or using magic specifically for fighting Legendary Sized Creatures) have this cap raised to (3 + attacker’s Strength).

In Naval Combat, attacks mark off Health Levels as if they were Hull levels on a one-to-one basis.

Unstoppable Leviathan: Krakens make unopposed grapple control rolls against enemies of smaller size, unless the victims use magic allowing them to grapple larger foes, such as Dragon Coil Technique (Exalted, p. 280). The kraken doesn’t take Defense penalties from grappling smaller enemies, including enemies with Legendary Size, and can reflexively take a drag action to move them whenever it moves. It doesn’t lose rounds of grapple control when attacked unless the attack successfully damages it.

The kraken may flurry two grapple gambits together. Each enemy the kraken grapples takes up one of its arms; it may maintain one grapple per arm. While grappling, it can flurry actions as long as it has an arm available for each action. The penalty to flurried actions is −0 with ten or nine arms free, −1 with eight, −2 with seven, and −3 with six or fewer. While grappling multiple foes, a withering savaging attack deals damage normally, but the kraken only receives Initiative from the one that deals the most damage; a decisive savaging attack divides the kraken’s current Initiative as evenly as possible among all grappled enemies to determine raw damage.

The Mystic Kraken automatically succeeds at Feats of Strength requiring 14 or fewer successes.

The Mystic Kraken cannot meaningfully be knocked prone.

Lastly, whilst the Mystic Kraken is not immune to toxins, its truly vast size means it must be exposed to vast amounts of venom before it suffers any deleterious effects. The mechanical effects of this advantage are left to Storyteller's discretion.

Merits

Impenetrable Mystic Armor: Subtract one level of damage from successful damage rolls made in individual scale combat, and from damage inflicted by environmental hazards. This may reduce an attack below minimum damage (to a minimum of 0) and reduce levels of damage added by Charms or other magic.

Legendary Size: This merit is superceded by Beyond Legendary Size, above.

Beak Attack: The kraken’s dread maw is more a tool for disemboweling whales and puncturing holes in ships than it is suited for individual scale combat. The beak attack may only be used to execute a Difficulty 7 “Swallow Whole” Gambit. If this gambit is successful, the target is swallowed whole. NPCs are instantly incapacitated and killed by this action. Particularly heroic characters, such as the PCs, instead must contend with the kraken’s digestive system, which counts as an acid bath environmental hazard. A swallowed PC may attempt a Difficulty 5 gambit rolled against the kraken’s Evasion to fight their way free, but otherwise cannot harm the kraken from the inside without an appropriate Stunt.

Charms

Ten Armed Beast (1wp; Simple; Uniform; Instant): Whilst embattled in individual combat (usually as the result of a successful boarding action), the kraken may use this charm to attack a number of foes equal to its free arms. Make one attack roll and compare it to the Defense value of the targeted foes. An individual character may only be targeted once, per use of this charm, but battle groups may have any number of arm attacks assigned to them. Withering attacks deal damage normally, but the kraken only receives Initiative from the one that deals the most damage; a decisive attack divides the kraken’s current Initiative as evenly as possible among all hit enemies to determine raw damage. After resolving this attack, make a withering savage attack against all grappled foes, as per the rules given in Unstoppable Terror.

Devil Maw (1wp; Simple; Decisive Only; Instant): After spending a turn Aiming, the Mystic Kraken may use this Charm to make an Unblockable Beak Attack, converting the bonus dice from Aiming to automatic successes. As normal, the Beak Attack may only be used to execute Swallow Whole gambits.

Sweeping Terror Arm (2i; Reflexive; Instant): The kraken may make a Withering counter-attack against an attack made against it for 2i. Successful counter-attacks knock opponents prone as Smashing attacks do. This doesn’t count as the kraken’s combat action for the round. The Kraken must have at least one arm free to use this Charm.

Creation Warping Armor (2wp; Reflexive; Instant; Perilous): This charm may only be used when the kraken has taken at least 8 health levels of damage. In individual combat, the kraken ignores all penalties to its Defense against a single attack, and raises its Defense by 1. In Naval Combat, this charm negates a single level of damage from any source. If used in response to a Ram Stratagem, the Kraken may instead reduce the damage to a single level and, providing it has five or more free arms, launch a free, automatically successful, Reflexive, Downing Tide Stratagem (regardless of current Momentum) against the ramming ship.

Take the Sky (1wp; Simple; Instant): The Mystic Kraken thrashes in the water creating an environmental hazard. This hazard is typically avoided with (Dexterity + Sail) at a Difficulty of the Kraken’s current Parry (the Kraken may use Creation Warping Armor and/or spend Willpower to enhance its Parry). Characters that fail to resist the hazard take 2B, fall prone and are swept overboard. Characters that successfully avoid the hazard must make a Difficulty 2 balance check (Dexterity + Athletics or Sail) or fall prone.

Burn the land, Boil the Sea (1wp; Reflexive; Instant): The kraken may immediately make a reflexive attack against either an enemy battle group or all trivial opponents (Exalted, p. 208) embattled with the kraken. This doesn’t count as the kraken’s combat action for the round, allowing it to make another attack. The kraken may reflexively invoke one Simple-type Charm that creates an attack, such as Ten Armed Beast, with this Charm, but only to affect enemy battle groups or trivial opponents. (Except as noted above, the ST should adjudicate this action as they would the Devastating Action of a Warstrider.)

Storytelling

A Mystic Kraken will attempt to flee once it has been reduced to its -4 levels, or if it is reduced to only 4 arms.

Cripple Arm Gambit (7i, 5i or 4i): Foes faced with a Mystic Kraken in individual combat have little chance of killing the beast, but they can fend off its giant arms. A successful cripple arm gambit reduces the kraken’s parry by 1, and reduces the number of free arms it possesses by 1. A cripple arm gambit costs 7i if attempted with a combat ability, but if the boarded ship has anti-ship weaponry capable of making Broadside Stratagems (or with an appropriate Stunt), this gambit may be attempted with (Wits+Sail) at a cost of only 5i, or 4i if the ship has First Age weapons (or with a particularly compelling Stunt).

Pull ‘Em Free! Gambit (3i): Should an ally fall victim to the Mystic Kraken’s Swallow Whole gambit, a timely Pull ‘Em Free can rescue a character from certain death. NPCs rescued are still Incapacitated, but generally will not die from their injuries. This Gambit may be executed with a (Strength + Athletics) roll.

Those Poor Souls (Special Naval Stratagem; Cost 0 Momentum; Used in Individual scale combat): It is conceivable that the Mystic Kraken might board an allied ship. Should this happen, PCs who are not subject to the boarding action will certainly wish to aid their allies. At the end of every combat round, PCs not rolled into the individual combat may use this special naval stratagem to either:
              • Use an unopposed Broadside Stratagem, inflicting one automatic level of health damage on the kraken (or two if using First Age weaponry). This also inflicts two automatic hull levels of damage on the boarded ship (regardless of whether First Age weaponry is employed or not).
              • Use an unopposed Ram Stratagem. The ram divides the damage rolled equally between the kraken and the boarded ship (odd levels of damage go to the kraken). If the ram is successful, the crew of the ramming ship are now embattled with the kraken and should be rolled into individual combat.
              • Use an unopposed boarding stratagem. The PCs roll into the combat.
              Last edited by JohnDoe244; 07-28-2020, 04:33 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

I know I missed the boat on this. But you might be interested in my homebrew of the Lunar Leviathan, who could challenge a table.

The Sack of Chiaroscuro - In a southern satrapy a Lunar elder must escape the results of his war-gambit against the Realm, but faces the city's mother-god as he tries to flee.

Comment

It's not exactly a kraken, but I designed an elemental to be summoned by the capstone power of a sea-themed artifact I created some time back, and it could serve a similar function.

Sargasso_Evocations4-5 by Matt, on Flickr

Comment

There's the tentacled spirit from the Jump Start that you could also try and crib some notes from.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Working...
                    X