X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xerxes
    started a topic How to find a geomancer

How to find a geomancer

My Solar players are (among other things) in the process of cleansing a demesne on one of the Western isles in preparation for building a manse. While one of them does have a Lore specialty in Essence (which I've allowed to guide the pieces of cleansing the place from being a shadowland into a "clean" demesne), there are no geomancers in the Circle.

How have other people managed to have covert or other non-Realm geomancers or geomancy knowledge in their Solar games, beyond the knowledge granted through reincarnation?

• Synapse
    replied
    Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
    That makes sense. I guess the question is then the relative scarcity of manses and manse-building.

I got the original impression they were super-rare; While the Blessed Isle is knee-deep in dragonlines, I was struggling to justify them elsewhere.
    My take is that standard demesnes are actually fairly common. Any nomadic settlement is likely to stumble on a few every decade; or their route approaches a couple. Settlements well off enough to have people traveling in and out of it probably charted a couple within reach as well.

Demesnes, being untamed magical places, are perfect for things like traditional adulthood rituals centered on survival, courage or strength. The place is probably going to be tapped in some practical but dangerous practice (even just poaching and trapping may qualify). They serve a role similar to a bordermarch in this aspect.
    • Inside a grey valley grow citrus trees whose fruits bestow the body with the hardness and "weight" of stone. (earth demesne)
    • The Delzahni tell tales of a soothing wind that slakes your thirst as you breathe it and lures animals out of the sand and rocks. A sage, seeing in it a bountiful path for his tribe to follow, pursued it trying to figure its route across the burning sands. He was found years later by an oasis, dehydrated, and the people there said water did not quench his thirst. (a wandering water demesne)
    • Just before the horizon line, the citizens of Brightwork are accustomed to the sight of an incredibly sharp rock protruding from a coral formation. Ships avoid it, and it's too far into open sea for most people to bother, but on occasion teenagers try to sail there with their betrothed. Legends say at night little spirits can be seen wandering around it, and any who befriends them and make love under the starry sky will have their marriage blessed with good fortune against any adversity. (sidereal demesne, attuned to the constellation of the Pillar)
    However, what I'm taking away from this discussion is that geomancers are the equivalent of bellmakers: skilled tradesmen, probably itinerant unless they're on retainer to a noble house somewhere, but not like hens' teeth. There should be more geomancers than dragon-blooded, which I wasn't envisaging before.
    Turning them to manses is a different story. Even a humble manse is going to demand a small town's worth of manpower and many will simply be out of tapping reach because whatever it does doesn't channel into anything useful for the prospective proprietor..

Bellmakers is a decent analogy, but it demands a wee bit of expansion.
    Geomancy's big deal is manse-building, and that in itself is a monumental endeavor, but it should involve more than that. Even something like feng shui would probably cross over with geomancy in Creation, so a geomancer's skillset is likely more comprehensive.
    Last edited by Synapse; 06-24-2020, 10:30 AM. Reason: better formatting

Leave a comment:

• Greyman
    replied
    I got the original impression they were super-rare; While the Blessed Isle is knee-deep in dragonlines, I was struggling to justify them elsewhere.
    There are dragon-lines everywhere. The proximity to the Elemental Pole of Earth just means there is a higher proportion of earth aspect demesnes on the Blessed Isle than elsewhere.
    However, what I'm taking away from this discussion is that geomancers are the equivalent of bellmakers: skilled tradesmen, probably itinerant unless they're on retainer to a noble house somewhere, but not like hens' teeth. There should be more geomancers than dragon-blooded, which I wasn't envisaging before.
    Well, there is geomancy and then there is geomancy. Do keep in mind that manse construction is peak of the art. You will need to find a true savant. [Mechanically it requires Lore 5, Occult 5, Craft (Architecture) 5, Craft (Geomancy) 5, or close enough to train up.]

On the other hand, Creation is somewhat large, and anyone with the required talent should have some renown among the right social circles.
    Last edited by Greyman; 06-24-2020, 08:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Xerxes
    replied
    That makes sense. I guess the question is then the relative scarcity of manses and manse-building.

Also, unrelated sidenote: is there an easily searchable list of Hundred Devils and Adversaries of the Righteous? DTRPG's catalogie is a car crash of your trying to browse a specific subset of a line.

Leave a comment:

• Synapse
    replied
    Geomancy is not an ever-present necessity like, say, prayer or water, but it's still pretty high up in the importance scale.

It being a complicated thing whose work is low-key terraforming, you can expect it to be expensive, and for big powers to take interest.
    You can also expect any major hub to have geomancers or relatively easy access to them.

Non-Realm geomancers should be plentiful. The Guild, as mentioned, is a prime collector of those. Any city big enough to have access to a demesne should have them too. Avoiding the Realm's eyes is more an extension of "Avoid the king's eyes" or wherever you search. Hire in places that are not amenable to the Realm, smuggle a geomancer and the supplies/workforce in from somewhere decent, blackmail the constabularies and rulers into keeping mum.

Leave a comment:

• Mizu
    replied
    The guild is always a good way to get in touch with someone who is selling what you are buying when all else fails.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Post an advertisement. Have an audition montage.

Leave a comment:

• Greyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Lioness View Post
    Isabet Maken, a Guild Merchant Prince in Adversaries of the Righteous is a geomancer and thaumaturge who uses a demesne to make frogmen.
    Indeed. Although she herself uses Occult (Geomancy) to power her Thaumaturgic ritual, rather than having Craft (Architecture & Geomancy) as would be needed for manse construction, but...
    Originally posted by Lioness View Post
    She's also founded a group called the Gouged Eye Society that we don't have full details of yet but seems to be a group of occultists within the Guild.
    Also, well, it is a secret cabal so there are a few extra hurdles to finding them. But, yeah, they exist, and there are likely easier to find savants employed by the Guide.

However, I'd look towards the retenue of a Scavenger Lord for this.
    Last edited by Greyman; 06-23-2020, 06:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sorcerous Overlord
    replied
    Resources mentions that a mortal Manse Architect would probably be at Resources 4, which to me implies that they are both very famous and available for hire. Certainly the Guild could put you in touch with one for a finders fee, or make some Bureaucracy or Investigate rolls to track one down.

Seems like the kind ofbwork that would involve a whole company too.

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    Not from my games but canon to Ex3.

Isabet Maken, a Guild Merchant Prince in Adversaries of the Righteous is a geomancer and thaumaturge who uses a demesne to make frogmen. She's also founded a group called the Gouged Eye Society that we don't have full details of yet but seems to be a group of occultists within the Guild.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X