Fighting Really Big Enemies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Ear canals don't lead to the brain, they go to the throat.

"Okay, it was a tight fit, all of that wax stank something fierce and got everywhere, and the drum was unpleasantly spongy to cleave through, but I'm finally reaching the ennait a minute, why is this leading dooooooowwwww-{kersplash}{acidic dissolution bubbling}"
    Huh, really? I knew it was connected to that but I thought it also had some tiny connection through to the brain that didn't amount to much on a human but would be huge on a mountain sized humanoid. Guess there are still a few things I need to learn in regards to common fictional happenings like 'flimsy furniture is bullet proof and great cover in a gun fight' that aren't actually true.

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

Sadly, the Animorphs lied to us.

(That said, I guess it’s a good thing the Yeerks secrete a numbing agent as they enter the host, because now the thought of one making its way to a person’s brain through the ear sounds painful beyond imagining.)

Comment

I think having different "environments" with units of active defense that can be attacked might be a good way to allow the initiative to flow allowing for the gambit-based attempts to cripple/bypass critical parts of the eventual larger foe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mizu View Post
          My advice? Go in through the ear canal and destroy the brain. Giant zombies still need their giant brains, IIRC.
          Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
          Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyeudo View Post

Gambits take Initiative, so some of the fight will require making withering attacks upon Juggernaut, dodging attacks from Juggernaut, and will likely involve maneuvering around Juggernaut.
            If you're trying to white-room Juggernaught alone yes. I think the spirit of the idea is more that Juggernaught, much like any other enemy fortress, is more of a hostile environment with active defenders than a single opponent. You play with initiative and gambits mostly because you're trying to do things like cripple it's limbs or cut a path to it's brain in combat time. If there were no defenders, I think the "fight" would play out more like scaling a mountain that doesn't want to be climbed.

Comment

One classic way to handle giant enemies is to break them up into multiple smaller foes-- each limb (or whatever subdivision makes sense) gets their own actions, their own health pool and so on. As an added benefit, this lets you have "one creature" powerful enough to threaten the entire party without running into the usual pitfalls of action and Ini economy.

As an active environment, any good solution would probably wind up being pretty similar. You have different Gambits or extended checks to represent crippling different parts of the giant's body (two legs that need to be hamstrung, multiple flame pieces that need to be destroyed, a gondola to tear off, etc) and fill in the gaps with environmental hazards and smaller foes. Ideally, link some of the dangers to the individual goals-- if you cripple the legs you don't have to get worry about getting stepped on, if you destroy the gondola you won't get attacked by the archers inside anymore, etc.

Comment

I just wrapped up a campaign with a battle against a mega kaiju. This was a sea battle but the general framework should be easily translatable. Here's what I did.

The kaiju itself was about a half mile long. Its goal was just to continue moving West so it was more of a moving mountain than a creature..

It had 4 fins, a tail, and a horn.

The Fins provided a small speed boost and could make a slam attack for a lot of damage.

The Tail provided a HUGE speed boost and had a slam attack for Uncountable Damage, but it had to rear up for a turn first. It lost the speed bonus if it did this.

The Horn was made out of crsytal (both to be cool and highlight its fragility) and it shot Death Ray every other turn, but only straight ahead in a narrow arc. This was later revealed to be aimed at islands in its way, not at the ships in combat.

The battle ended when 2 of the 3 conditions were met:
                + The Tail was destroyed
                + The Horn was destroyed
                + 3 out of 4 fins were destroyed (no need to drag that out)

I made it clear that the Body of the creature was covered in scales that were several meters thick and indestructible to anything short of Siege Weaponry, and I added thousands of steam jets along the body (which provided a hazard they had to dispell just to approach) that routinely blasted ultrahot steam out, so they knew that trying to hack into the body was a waste of time.

The Fins and Tail had a custom health system called Body Points. A battlegroup fully landed on a fin could do 1 body point of damage a turn (basically ripping and hacking at the membranes of the fin), the players rolled damage as normal, but every 10 damage became 1 body point -the excess damage was waster. An 11, and a 19 both did 1 Body Point of damage, a 23 did 2, etc. AoE attacks dealt an extra 1 BP to represent the bigger area they effect.

Naval Combat worked as if the Fins and Tail were ships. Hull damage was 2 for 1 to Body Points. This made the Sail Eclipse very powerful and gave the other PCs a chance to flex after boarding, insuring that each character had a way to shine.

When the conditions were met, the scene changed.

Scene 2 was basically a cutscene, the players dodged whirlpools until the Kaiju swallowed the fleet whole in one titanic gulp.

Scene 3 was a fight inside the Dream-Realm of the boss. This is when it attacked them in a human scale form, and played out as a more or less ordinary fight.

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
                -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Working...
                X