No announcement yet.

Is Exalted the distant past of the WoD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Exalted the distant past of the WoD?

I was sure the answer was officially “No” then yesterday when I finally went to buy the 3e core rules on DTRPG I read the blurb (“in the distant past when the Earth was still flat”) and now I’m really confused...

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

It is not.

Comment

Of Earth? Possibly. Of the WoD? Some shout outs aside (Book of the Wyrm 20th Anniversary mentions Mother Bog for instance), no.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
      Many Limbed Manual
      Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
      San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
      My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

I don't mind considering the possibility in play, when someone wants to draw some connection between his archetype (Exalt or other) and an archetype of WoD for illustration. But I don't think it should be given more importance.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
          I was sure the answer was officially “No” then yesterday when I finally went to buy the 3e core rules on DTRPG I read the blurb (“in the distant past when the Earth was still flat”) and now I’m really confused...
          It can be if that’s what you want to do.

For all three editions now the writers have left it open-ended enough for it to be possible for those who like the thematic ties to the oWoD; but for those who prefer a less fatalistic outlook, it’s not the iron-clad end-state of Creation.
          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 06-29-2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

The official-ness of the link was never really strong to begin with, and has weakened with each edition. Some of it was even dialed back before 1e launched!

The high water mark was the first line on the back of the 1e core: "Before there was a World of Darkness, there was a world of savage adventure." This was in 2001 so the WoD in question was the late stages of Old World of Darkness. Time of Judgement, the end of that line's first life, started only two years later. Even within 1e, though, "connections" mostly took the form of name-drops that, if you were deep in WoD lore, would make you say things "hmmm, is that the same Autochthon" or "the Sidereal Limit mechanic is "Paradox", do they turn into Mages somehow?"

By 2006, when Second Edition Exalted came out, the New World of Darkness was already underway and little to no effort was made to connect Exalted to it. The language on the back of 2e's Core softened, sharing some of the WoD in its characterization of the real world, but nothing specific. If you knew White Wolf products, you could see the wink, but nothing that would be out of place for a game about swords-and-sandals demigods. Even some of the name-drop links deteriorated; no where in 2e (that I can recall) are the Neverborn ever referred to as Malfeans, for example.

At this point, with two parallel WoD game lines, it's not clear what "Exalted is the prehistory of the World of Darkness" would even mean. Which I think is okay. If you think it's cool to play up the link at your table, that's great. But I also think it's important to not have to have read every WoD book to get all the jokes in the Exalted books.
            Last edited by Blackwell; 06-29-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Okay. So it’s possible that Creation could be an entirely separate fantasy world with no connection to either the “real” Earth or the WoD if you wanted.

I’m gonna wait to read the Exalted core rules over the holiday weekend before I form any judgments one way or the other. I still like what I’ve seen of 3e and I’m still looking forward to Fangs At the Gate. I was just curious.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

If it does link to the WoD, it is in the same sense some of the fantasy work that Exalted draws on is linked to Earth. The pretty well-known "After the seas drank Atlantis and before the rise of the Sons of Aryas" movie-starting quote of Conan, as well as "Before the world was bent" found in Tantih Lee's Flat Earth series, and a lot of the implications of the MIddle Earth stuff all have a lot of "This fantasy setting we're presenting here is a secret pre-history of the world" thing going down. It's a genre staple of epic fantasy, basically.

Notably though, real history doesn't really impact the abilityt o have Conan go and still be its own fantasy setting, and vice-versa. Exalted kind of runs on that logic, just in context of WoD and in so doing lets it loot it for a lot of cool IP bits and bobs for inspriation.
                Last edited by Blaque; 07-05-2020, 03:11 AM.

And stuff.
                My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Blaque that sounds great. Thank you.

Comment

Before Exalted was officially announced but just being teased, it was very much pitched as the prehistory of the WoD.

Once it actually hit, the connections became fuzzier, though the assorted Exalted types were explicitly tied to or referenced the World of Darkness supernatural types. The 1e Storyteller's Companion was the closest we got to an official answer, which was "It might be. Or it might not. You might change it. Or it could be the future of the WoD. Or it might simply be its own thing."

2e came along with its vague intimations that Creation was a secret, glorious, terrible history of the world deliberately kept secret, but that was forgotten the moment one looked away from the back cover.

3e, AFAIK, has deliberately slipped any obligation to its inspirations from the World of Darkness to be its own thing, and any connections it has to that world, or to ours, are the handiwork of individual tables, not writer intent.

Comment

If you're an ornery bastard like me who has at best a dispassionate disinterest in WoD and at worst an active dislike of it, it's very easy to ignore the little in-jokes and winks for what they are, little in-jokes and winks for people who care.

I would prefer to keep WoD as far away from Exalted as possible. This may have in fact been part of my initial disinterest in Liminals, since when asked for what they are they were described as "Like the Prometheans, from WoD" to which my unfair response was "Oh great yes now imagine for a second I don't care about WoD and explain them to me again"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

If I understand it correctly, Exalted is the history of the old WoD if your ST wants it to be.

Other then that, if exists as a place the Exalted writers can still ideas from as they see fit.

Yoink!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                        "Like the Prometheans, from WoD" to which my unfair response was "Oh great yes now imagine for a second I don't care about WoD and explain them to me again"
                        Lol! Good point!

But Prometheans are Chronicles of Darkness (the Game line formerly known as New World of Darkness), right?

Do you have similar feelings toward both game lines?

Comment

Thanks everyone. The blurb on DTRPG just confused me a little. Like I said, I’ll weigh in some more after I read the Core book.

Comment

I'm of at least half of a mind that I kind of like the idea that *a* future of Creation is *like* the World of Darkness.

It adds to the epic tragic feel of Creation to think of cycles of violence of failure and entropic decay compounding over time, until it becomes this world which has forgotten itself and become prosaic, and where everything is tainted by a banal, cynical, pragmatic sort of evil, even the magic that is left, that's just a gothic horror that lives in the shadows.

I think Exalted has somewhat de-emphasized that epic tragedy thing (and this is OK!), but yeah, I think the idea of Exalted as the epic, romantic myth past of the World of Darkness, much diminished through the ages and worn away to something much more mundane and prosaic... and yet glorious were the deeds of the Exalted, in that twilight of the age of myth, was one of the spices in that early Exalted brew that gave it a certain powerful flavour. That contrast between an age of high mythic adventure, which would be lost and diminished and forgotten, with the "future" of the World of Darkness, made it a little more bittersweet.

(My personal feeling on the WoD is that I like the high concept sense of it, and there's obviously a lot of evocative writing there... but getting into the weeds of the detail, no thanks.)

Comment

I read Shards of the Exalted Dream and I really liked the Modern Age shard.

Comment

Working...
                              X