No announcement yet.

Is Exalted the distant past of the WoD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exalted originates as a pulp fiction revival property, a matter that has received varying degrees of emphasis over the years but never been excised completely (and Third Edition is billed partially around refocusing on those roots).

It's a grand tradition of pulp fiction to frame itself not as contemporaneous, but looking back into the distant past from a modern perspective, even if that past is made up. Tolkien did it. Robert E. Howard did it. Lord Dunsany did it before any of them, at the very beginning of the 20th century.

Stuff like that is why every single Star Wars film prefaces with the point that the stories take place not only far away, but a long, long time ago.

And really, even these things just do so because they're working in emulation of the ancient classics that are written in terms of recounting stories that are supposed to be ancient even to the writer. Homer composed the Iliad in terms of conveying a story that took place back in the hoary past, when men were greater, cities were larger and gods and giants roamed the Earth. See also the Book of Genesis.

Even when not being constructed in terms of personal belief systems, it's a device that can be compelling for not only setting the stage for that kind of grandiosity but the idea of it being viewed from a distance, in a time when it's long since passed and can be experienced in wistful or mournful terms. It is a conversion of the feeling of seeing the half-crumbled remains of a huge monument to a long forgotten religion or ruler into the form of the written word.

(Keep in mind that such a feeling is something that people from almost three thousand years ago would have been able to experience from their own exposure to monuments and literature that would have been ancient. The Iliad dates to about twenty eight hundred years ago. The Epic of Gilgamesh dates to about fifteen hundred years before that, and we know that it continued to be circulated because we have documents of it from around the same time period. The Pyramid of Giza is several centuries older.)

By all accounts, it would seem as though Exalted did originate specifically in terms of being written as a pre-history for the World of Darkness, but it still seems very much to have been for the purpose of creating that kind of pulp fantasy property rather than being a more literal kind of pre-history (even by the fanciful standards of the World of Darkness). In the end it drops all of the over references sure, but it wouldn't quite be capturing the intended tone and imagery if it didn't open with its own version of "this happened back when the world was a lot cooler".

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

If I remember correctly they tried to link it in Hunter: The Reckoning with references to the exalted themselves and maybe the things that gave you Hunter powers were the ghosts of exalted but they dropped that pretty quickly. so in some ways you are right but it was mostly a half baked idea that never came to fruition.

Comment

I like the idea. I also like that the execution of the idea is just little references that could be connections or could just be coincidence.

Comment

If you ever really feel like you NEED it to be true, Holden put together a pair of fan supplements for running 'Exalted Modern' in the WoD.

Comment

Caffeine Delusions I know! I read them. I guess I was specifically wondering if the part about Exalted being the WoD’s distant past was still true for 3e. The DTRPG blurb kind of implied it was.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

Thanks everyone for answering. Looking forward to reading the core book (and Fangs At the Gate when it comes out).

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

I really liked an interpretation I read ages ago that the WOD is what the Sidereals saw when they did the Great Prophecy in the First Age. If they did nothing, Creation would eventually devolve into the WOD. So they said "Hell no" and got to scheming. Either way, I really like the easter eggs even though I left the WOD behind ages ago (Exalted was partially to blame for this). In any case, I've run a number of campaigns in both lines and I tend to leave subtle easter eggs in the Exalted games that reference Lore from my past WOD games.
                Last edited by DarkWolff; 06-30-2020, 09:55 AM.

--Lurker Extraordinaire!

Comment

DarkWolff nice!! Happy lurking 😊.

Comment

Originally posted by Daredevil View Post
                    Lol! Good point!

But Prometheans are Chronicles of Darkness (the Game line formerly known as New World of Darkness), right?

Do you have similar feelings toward both game lines?
                    I don't even care enough to want to know the difference between them, tbh. I sometimes flippantly refer to them as "Nouns of Darkness" just because of comments like this.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

By pure curiosity, why don't you like Wod games ? Since many persons have given answer to the main question of the thread, I think it's appropriate to deviate a little the topic by asking this question.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                        By pure curiosity, why don't you like Wod games ? Since many persons have given answer to the main question of the thread, I think it's appropriate to deviate a little the topic by asking this question.
                        I've heard pitches for various types of games and their backstories, themes, and playstyles, and all of them leave me decidedly lukewarm.

Mage sounds complex for the sake of complexity and too powergame for me to really get into. Vampire sounds boring because the whole idea of the Masquerade and the Elder Issue, which may not necessarily be too much in some games but it just sounded like a pain to me. I saw Beast during its Kickstarter but... Uh... Well, Beast is a Thing that Exists and may have some Bags with it and that's all I'll say about it here.

Just all the times I've heard about the Noun of Darkness types or looked into them they didn't click.

But Exalted DID click. So does Scion. They hit an action tone I enjoy, and they can do Political Intrigue stuff without being too stuck in its own metaplot and status quo (the Reclamation Overgrowth of late 2e notwithstanding), and I got into Exalted as its own thing. Heck, I had to be told that there's tentative thematic winks to the WoD fans. And those winks are fine, since they don't really even occur as blips on my radar.

But I personally find Exalted and WoD different enough in tone and theme and style that I'd personally like to keep them separate, ideally as much as possible. I was one of those people who, when he heard about that Exalted vs WoD reacted with "That's not even a fight. The Exalted Host would have the various splats of the WoD (except potentially Mages and that assumes they care enough to intervene before it's too late) eating asphalt in like a month, and then it's Exalted Modern, we can just play Exalted in a modern setting, that sounds like a fun idea, I dunno why you gotta drag WoD in as a speedbump over it"

(IIRC, Holden's Exalted vs WoD had to do... SOMETHING to nerf Essence Respiration to kneecap Exalts to even give them something resembling a fighting chance which I think goes back to my initial point of unless you sabotage the Exalts, it's not really a fight, and then you've got Exalted Modern)

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Kyman201 what did you think of the Modern Age setting in Shards of the Exalted Dream?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I've heard pitches for various types of games and their backstories, themes, and playstyles, and all of them leave me decidedly lukewarm.

Mage sounds complex for the sake of complexity and too powergame for me to really get into. Vampire sounds boring because the whole idea of the Masquerade and the Elder Issue, which may not necessarily be too much in some games but it just sounded like a pain to me. I saw Beast during its Kickstarter but... Uh... Well, Beast is a Thing that Exists and may have some Bags with it and that's all I'll say about it here.

Just all the times I've heard about the Noun of Darkness types or looked into them they didn't click.

But Exalted DID click. So does Scion. They hit an action tone I enjoy, and they can do Political Intrigue stuff without being too stuck in its own metaplot and status quo (the Reclamation Overgrowth of late 2e notwithstanding), and I got into Exalted as its own thing. Heck, I had to be told that there's tentative thematic winks to the WoD fans. And those winks are fine, since they don't really even occur as blips on my radar.

But I personally find Exalted and WoD different enough in tone and theme and style that I'd personally like to keep them separate, ideally as much as possible. I was one of those people who, when he heard about that Exalted vs WoD reacted with "That's not even a fight. The Exalted Host would have the various splats of the WoD (except potentially Mages and that assumes they care enough to intervene before it's too late) eating asphalt in like a month, and then it's Exalted Modern, we can just play Exalted in a modern setting, that sounds like a fun idea, I dunno why you gotta drag WoD in as a speedbump over it"

(IIRC, Holden's Exalted vs WoD had to do... SOMETHING to nerf Essence Respiration to kneecap Exalts to even give them something resembling a fighting chance which I think goes back to my initial point of unless you sabotage the Exalts, it's not really a fight, and then you've got Exalted Modern)
                            Wait there exists an official book of Exalted in the Modern Age of todays fighting Mages, Vampires and stuff ?

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

TL;DR Holden made a hack to create Exalted characters in the OWOD system and setting, giving the hows and whys and such. Mote pools and regen are way lower (a starting Solar has 10 motes), but mote costs are also lower. Charms are delineated by Caste/Aspect rather than Ability or Attribute and are dot-rated, and some are "free but roll to activate" or "passive always on". I like it enough to endure the OWOD engine for a game I'm in, and to be working on a CofD port.

So it's not official, but it's a thing.

Abyssals: Whom Death Has Called, a PEACH-as-heck attempt to make an Abyssal 3E holdover.

Where I try to make Artifacts. When I finish them I'll probably post them in the Artifact Workshop thread so people can help me hammer them into shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I don't even care enough to want to know the difference between them, tbh. I sometimes flippantly refer to them as "Nouns of Darkness" just because of comments like this.
                                But... the art-full angst . The edge! How can you not like them???

EDIT: Jut for clarify, I find this a refreshing point of view. I'm used to a positive opinion toward them, & I'd love to hear more of your view, if you wish to share.

Originally posted by Chausse View Post

Wait there exists an official book of Exalted in the Modern Age of todays fighting Mages, Vampires and stuff ?
                                Not officially, but yes. Has at least one supplement, as well.
                                Last edited by Daredevil; 06-30-2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X