Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exalted: Essence, and a more flexible approach to combat builds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exalted: Essence, and a more flexible approach to combat builds?

In Exalted: Essence, the Brawl, Martial Arts, and Melee Abilities do not exist as such, along with Archery and Thrown. There's just Close Combat and Ranged Combat.

Furthermore, all Exalted share a common body of Charms, with few splat-unique/exclusive Charms, and Charm trees are meant to be short.

So, there is no Solar Brawl Tree or Solar Melee Tree, as such.

Instead, there are likely Close Combat Charms exclusively for fighting with any weapon, Charms for fighting without any weapons, and Charms which can be used with or without weapons.

Charms evoking Martial Arts Styles would generally be of the third category, but since there might be no real distinction between Melee and Martial Arts anymore, there might be weapon-dependent sets of Charms.

Like, a universal set of Ranged Combat Charms for firewands and flamepieces could ignore the old divisions between Solar/Terrestrial Archery and Righteous Devil Style.

A universal set of bareknuckle punching Charms could ignore the old divisions between Solar Brawl and any theoretical Boxing Style.

Advanced grappling styles like Mantis might even grow out of basic, universal grappling Charms.

I might not need to design an entire 12-Charm Martial Arts Style around two-handed hammers if I could instead get away with a three-deep set of Close Combat Charms that work exclusively with two-handed hammers and axes, and which does nothing but evoke the "spin to win" concept I've chased off-and-on for years.

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    Right, the armor restrictions. I'm an idiot.

That's a good reason why Style Charms would all be grouped into single, distinct trees like always.

And unless each Style loses at least a few Charms each, then having them use any "normal" universal Charms as prerequisites might make their trees too deep.

Leave a comment:

• Speedbump
    replied
    My guess would be that Martial Arts charms will be a catch all for the charms that require you to be using specific weapons/armour. Normal universal Close/Ranged combat Charms won't care what you're wearing. Righteous Devil will essentially eat Boughs of Burning Autumn and Salamander Swallows Flames thematically. Even Blade/Single Point/Steel Devil are all separate from generic charms because they're there to represent being a Invincible (certain type of) Sword Princess rather than a generic undefeated warrior. We might even see the return of a "Exalted Hero Style" for some of the ideas within the Brawl trees that are unarmed specific, but are too iconic to leave out.

The other option that I thought of, but would be disappointed with was the idea that the only difference is that you can buy Martial Arts Charms with "Exalt XP" and the idea is to try to encourage everyone to invest a little into combat as the game goes on.

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    Does anyone care to speculate what the functional difference would be between universal Charms and Martial Arts Style Charms?

They're both equally universal.

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    We know that Martial Arts Styles still exist, and they'll still have built-in tiers through the Mode feature.

For example, the Immaculate Dragon Styles will have Modes that benefit the Dragon-Blooded, and not so much for Celestial Exalted. Likewise, Sidereal Martial Arts will have Modes for Sidereals and Getimians, but not for Solaroids.

But, we've also been told that Charm trees are going to be shorter.

There's currently no support for the idea that Martial Arts Charms might grow out of universal Close Combat or Ranged Combat Charms. It seems like an interesting possibility, but it might not be necessary at all.

The starting Charms for Ranged Combat that apply to firewands might be sufficiently different from anything Righteous Devil Style is doing, especially if Righteous Devil Style is forced to represent itself with fewer Charms.

What I'd like to see is expanding (perhaps diluting) the concept of Martial Arts.

Like, perhaps there are very few Ranged Combat Charms that apply to all forms of projectile weaponry, and most Ranged Combat Charms focus on specific projectiles. The small set of Charms for javelins effectively become a javelin-based Martial Arts Style, which is distinct from a crossbow-based Style, or an archery-style, or a shuriken-style.

The universal Charmset means that there isn't a Solar Thrown, anymore. There's Exalted Ranged Combat, and Solars have their Modes and everyone else has their Modes, but they're all working from the same core principles. Throwing a javelin works the same for everyone, except for the little twist that everyone gets to learn based on their Exaltation.

So, then what's the difference between those Charms and Martial Arts Charms? The difference seems to become entirely academic.

"Martial Arts", in the end, means "Combat Skills".

Having most Charms be weapon-specific also helps keep some of the style-granularity lost by combining all attack Abilities into just two. Especially if Ranged Combat doubles as Dodge (against projectiles), with Close Combat covering all forms of defense against non-projectile attacks.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    It's got a reasonable amount on it, got from the Discord, and a couple of livestreamed games that the writers did.

Leave a comment:

• Blackwell
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
    Each point of data is drawn from the "Exalted: Essence" thread.

My conclusions are drawn from those points of data.

I could list the points and provide links to the posts I'm citing, if you desire.

If there are specific points of data you want cited, that would make the task faster and easier.
    No need! I wasn't looking for citations, just curious where the discussion was happening. I hadn't been following that thread past the first couple pages.

Leave a comment:

• Sunder the Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by Blackwell View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where is this info coming from? I hadn't noticed any Essence spoilers dropping, but then again, there has been a lot going on.
    Each point of data is drawn from the "Exalted: Essence" thread.

My conclusions are drawn from those points of data.

I could list the points and provide links to the posts I'm citing, if you desire.

If there are specific points of data you want cited, that would make the task faster and easier.

Leave a comment:

• Blackwell
    replied
    Just out of curiosity, where is this info coming from? I hadn't noticed any Essence spoilers dropping, but then again, there has been a lot going on.

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    The concepts seems cool I totally buy into it. What do fighting Charms looks like ? If they are not dice tricks (because apparently most dice tricks are gone), are they special effects and attacks (like TAP or Call The Blade and stuff for example) ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X