Characters that inspired your characters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Characters that inspired your characters

So I'm curious, beyond you OC ideas, were there any characters you made based on others characters from movies,books, video games etc. For instance maybe you made a Dawn character based off Garrison from Battle Chasers or a Xenith sorcerer based off Harry Dresden. Who inspired you? Why? I'm always impressed with the creativity of my fellow gamers and want to know what you came up with and how you made it your own, either through the mechanics you chose or the way you strode through the world of Exalted with your roleplaying skills.

My first ever Exalted character way back when was Haltan Commando named Coran, based off Kenshin Himura. Kenshin's story of the ultimate swordsman drenched in blood turning his back on his bloody past appealed to me. His constant misfortune to be forced to face that past, while struggling to keep to his new path was something I admired. Coran exalted as Sword of Heaven at the battle of Futile Blood facing a Fire Aspect as the world went mad with death and carnage all around him. Seeing what the Bull's victory had cost Creation, and sickened by the casual ease in which he could now end the lives of others, Corran swore to walk a different road. His world view thrown asunder, he clung to a sense of nonchalance he didn't really feel in his heart. He chose to be known as 'Jack' casting aside his former identity for a new one because he felt that he didn't know jack shit anymore. Soon after while searching for his right path he would meet his circle, his Lunar mate and her pack. From there began his legend, that of the Compassionate Swordmaster of the East and his friends and lover.

Currently I'm considering a character based off Tian Wei from Weapons of the Gods. I hope you found this all a little interesting and hope you're willing to share with us your stories.

My current Eclipse is named the Knight Raiton. More than a year ago now, I created him for a (mostly) weekly game, by combining aspects of DC’s Batman and Marvel’s Moon Knight.

In short, Knight Raiton is a Batman who had to invent his Bruce Wayne, whom he uses as a tool to bankroll social justice and his war on death. KR’s an incorruptible protector, with a detective’s eye and a tongue that can freeze the hearts of villains and vanquish the fears of children.

It’s a rough life, as Nexus has no outright prohibition against murder, and the greatest authority figures are the same monsters that keep the city in danger of eating itself.

Comment

Salazan the Demon Forgemaster is based on Hector the Devil Forgemaster from Castlevania Curse of Darkness, NOT Hector the mopey little bitch from Castlevania the anime.

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
      -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Mnemon Barad is a huge, ugly Dynast who's inspired by Caladan Brood of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, only in service of an Empire rather than as a Warlord fighting against it.

All that I write but don't cite is simply my perspective, colored by my experiences and beliefs. I extrapolate a lot, too, so don't take it too seriously. :P

Comment

K well I'm seeming incapable of mastering the quote system so...Count did you take any Eclipse spirit charms? Why Eclipse over a socialize Night? Did you supernal socialize or larceny? Cool mix of ideas by the way, interesting to have two fairly mundane(in a world of super powers)heroes combined into a chosen super being.

Sorcerous, I agree totally. I like the anime but, why ph why did the series creator have to screw over Hector so badly. Doesn't seem like a man who could've become the Hector of the game. So did you go Twilight to use it's anima power? Or Xenith to gain fast access to bumping up your pets?

And finally, but not least, haven't read any of those books in a long time. Can't even rember if I finished the second book, but I remember Gardens of the Moon. Strong cast of interesting characters and of course Whiskeyjack is an awesome name. It took me awhile to recall anything about Brood but the internet of things helped immensely as always. Yeah I can see him and his big ass hammer fitting in well as a dynast. Earth?Melee or martial arts? Thanks for sharing you guys.

Comment

Cynis Ganan isn't really based on anyone.

Solomon David is an inspiration. Ganan is a kick ass martial artist with a superiority complex and a penchant for order. Chadwick Boseman's Black Panther is also an inspiration -- Ganan has a dignified kind of nobility, but also is very much "we don't do that here".

On the topic of Marvel, Dave Bautista's Drax the Destroyer very much embodies Ganan's literal mindedness and penchant for violence. Black Panther and Solomon David can kick ass, and do solve their problems by kicking ass. But Drax and Ganan use violence for Plan A and Plan B.

Catra from the new She-Ra and the Princesses of power is also an inspiration. Her relationship with the forces of the Fright Zone is not dissimilar to Ganan's relationship with the Realm. Mnemon Danireya is his Adora, Gracious Pealing Melody is his Scorpia, Cynis Lorena is his Shadow Weaver.

Gilbert Norrell (novel version) is also an influence. He encapsulates Ganan's views on Sorcery.

It's crass, but probably the biggest fictional inspiration is Frederick Zoller from Nation's Pride. The Nazi sniper doesn't see himself as a bad guy, even as he carves swaticas into thousand year old buildings and kills hundreds of Allied troops. He doesn't see himself as a bad guy as he makes unwanted sexual advances on a woman who's nation his evil empire has invaded. He doesn't even see himself as a hero, even as the leader of his evil empire lauds him as such. Zoller, to Zoller, is just a man doing his duty. Playing his role in the world. To Zoller, life has a natural order, and nothing is more natural than his place in that order. He seems incapable of imagining the world any other way.

Ganan, like me, is an arrogant know-it-all. He's honest, trustworthy and loyal. He's brave. He's straight-forward and direct.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

An interesting blend of inspirations, did it just gel together or did you have to spend an a lot of time pondering each aspect of the character and going 'ooh yeah that's a good idea!' I only ask all these questions to invite you and others to further discuss their ideas if they wish to. I won't do this after each post as I don't want to be annoying and I have no expectaions regarding replies, I just want to make it clear that I enjoy discussing these things as I find them fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkayriel View Post
                An interesting blend of inspirations, did it just gel together or did you have to spend an a lot of time pondering each aspect of the character and going 'ooh yeah that's a good idea!' I only ask all these questions to invite you and others to further discuss their ideas if they wish to. I won't do this after each post as I don't want to be annoying and I have no expectaions regarding replies, I just want to make it clear that I enjoy discussing these things as I find them fascinating.
                Cynis Ganan is mostly just an evil version of me... with Dragon-Blooded super powers... born into nobility and wealth.

When I think "evil, yet awesome, nobility" it's T'challa and Solomon who come to mind.

Although it's played for laughs, Drax is clearly on the spectrum. I don't solve my problems with violence, but I am pretty direct. Within the context of being a classical hero in a bronze age setting of sword and sorcery, modeling behaviour on Drax just made sense.

Likewise Catra and Zoller (and to a lesser extent Norrell) are really compelling evil characters. They have straightforward, yet surprisingly deep, relationships to the systemic evil that their factions inflict on the world. Zoller embodies the Earth Aspect, in my mind, for the reasons previously enumerated. Catra is more of a Fire Aspect, but it's the dynamic of her personal relationships that I find compelling. Zoller doesn't really have any relationships, which is kinda how I originally envisioned Ganan... but actually playing Ganan has meant he's had to really interact with his family and others, and Catra has been a good map to that.

The process is kinda natural. It's easy for me to imagine Ganan as a character, but sometimes it's hard to characterise exactly how he'd react when put on the spot. Then it helps to recontexualise based on how other fictional characters act. I'm not a racist and I've never met a demigod: I'm not sure how I'd react, if a "genetically" "inferior" demigod ever challenged me. But I know exactly how Drax or Solomon David would react. I can easily imagine how Zoller would frame the issue within Nazi society. I've seen the impact that an unfamiliar demigod had on Catra's personal relationships.
                Last edited by JohnDoe244; 07-05-2020, 06:12 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Count did you take any Eclipse spirit charms?
                  Not initially. Eventually I learned the nightmarish curse known to Honored Ancestors, as well as the trap-spinning of the demonic anuhles, but neither of those happened until Essence 4..

Why Eclipse over a socialize Night?
                  Eclipse seemed to fit the concept better. Moreover, the circle already had two Nights at the time.

Did you supernal socialize or larceny?
                  Socialize.

Cool mix of ideas by the way, interesting to have two fairly mundane(in a world of super powers)heroes combined into a chosen super being.
                  To be fair, both characters' powers essentially boil down to being Just That Good, and that's something that very much fits the wheelhouse of Solars.

Comment

K well I'm seeming incapable of mastering the quote system so...Count did you take any Eclipse spirit charms? Why Eclipse over a socialize Night? Did you supernal socialize or larceny? Cool mix of ideas by the way, interesting to have two fairly mundane(in a world of super powers)heroes combined into a chosen super being.
                    The little " thing in the bottom right is quote, but you cant quote multiple people or break up quotes so what you do is quote, copy, unquote, quote 2, paste.... yeah it sucks.

Sorcerous, I agree totally. I like the anime but, why ph why did the series creator have to screw over Hector so badly. Doesn't seem like a man who could've become the Hector of the game. So did you go Twilight to use it's anima power? Or Xenith to gain fast access to bumping up your pets?
                    Twilight for the Anima power and the Craft Supernal. I wanted to turn Demons into Artifact weapons to get their powers because that's such a fucking cool idea, but there's a sidebar ("No Shortcuts in Hell") that says you can't just skip a bunch of rules by throwing Demons at them. So I changed the premise to fit exalted more: Salazan was given to Alveua the 2nd cirlce demon as an apprentice and he made his own version of her Forge of Night (his titular Black Anvil), so he learned his trade in Malfeas and Exalted upon building a Sorcerous Artifact. He has specialties all inline with his trade: Craft (Artifact Weapons), Lore (Malfeas), and Occult (Demons).

For personality, Salazan is influenced by my favorite literary character: The Count of Monte Christo, both in that he is an ultra rich socialite who views people as means to an end and that in his early life he was Just Some Guy. Salazan has a severe disdain for people who break rules of decorum, bores, braggarts, puritans, and priests. Did I mention Salazan is Resources 5? because he is. So he doesn't have a lot of friends, and he also doesn't give a fuck about people in general. To represent this, Social is his tertiary attribute selection and he put all 4 points into Appearance. He's not a people person (which to be fair, is not like the Count at all).

For a unlikely addition, Yuri from Lord of War (Nic Cage) is an international black market arms dealer that sells to basically anybody. When he is eventually caught by Interpol, he tells the agent who caught him that there's no way He (Yuri) is going to do a day in jail, because he' too valuable to the US, UK, and EU as a deniable asset who can sell weapons to people they dont want to be caught selling weapons to. Salazan makes Artifact weapons and he's famous for it (Influence 3: Forgemaster), and since he's a non-Terrestrial Exalted who is both a sorcerer and a master artificer, its not hard to work that that The Guy Who Summons Demons and Makes Weapons is probably an Anathema, but there's the catch: Salazan is just too useful to kill. Nobody wants to call the Wyld Hunt on the only guy in thousand miles who can repair Great-Grandmother's artifact heavy armor damaged in the Battle of Winter's Folly, and not only that but can do it in under 1 month. A Cathak Fire Caste got a little circle together to try to kill the Super-Obviously-an-Anathema and Salazan stopped taking their commissions so the other houses learned not to shoot themselves in the foot right fucking quick (said group was eaten by demon spiders, btw).

Another facet of his personality is based on... i guess the general image of Rock Stars and the Ultra-Powerful? Just think about what you would have to pay to get Hephaestus Muramasa da Vinci to build you an artifact worthy of a legendary hero (and do it in only a few weeks). Think of how expensive that would be, even if you brought the materials yourself.

Salazan makes that much money every month.

So when the genius rockstar artifact maker is done making things, he goes out on the town like footballer and binges to an extent that would kill Bowie, Jagger, and Ozzy. He has Resistance (Drugs) as a specialty. he's literally given a years supply of heroin as a tip and doesnt care how that plays out.

Back to the Count of Monte Christo, now that you know Salazan is rich, just imagine the kind of blase that level of money brings. one of them has a pill bottle made out of a gem the size of a shot glass and I'll let you guess who it is. One of them bought out an opera just to read a book without interruption. One of them bought a town. One of them withdrew enough currency to shutdown a bank just to say they did it. (Count, Salazan, Salazan, Both).

Bowie is an inspiration in the way that few "real" people are- I can't really describe "Bowieness" but Salazan has it, and you probably know what I mean. He's so Out There.

Thanks for sharing you guys.
                    No, thank you for the good question.

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
                    -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                      To be fair, both characters' powers essentially boil down to being Just That Good, and that's something that very much fits the wheelhouse of Solars.

Absolutely true.

Thanks for the tip on the quote system Sorcerous, I'll get it figured out eventually. Salazan seems really cool and the sort of character that dominates the setting in the rarest of ways, by blending into the landscape and standing out anyway rather then bucking the world. Like the difference between a protagonist in a story and that supporting character that everyone loves way more than the protagonist. Not saying you're not playing the main character of your own legend, only complimenting what seems a unique approach. And David Bowie? Hell yeah I get it, There's a reason Labyrinth is one of my favorite movies and it wasn't Jennifer Connelly(Not that she was bad or anything, the Goblin King is just that fricking cool).

Comment

I played an Eclipse based on Flashman, the titular character of the novels by George MacDonald Fraser. He was a cheat, a rogue, and most of all a coward who would do anything to save his own skin. But he was very good at lying so everyone always thought he was a hero.

I have a Full Moon Lunar who is very much Conan; not so much honest or honorable as forthright; not so much brave as determined; mostly strong, but clever when he needs to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                          I played an Eclipse based on Flashman, the titular character of the novels by George MacDonald Fraser. He was a cheat, a rogue, and most of all a coward who would do anything to save his own skin. But he was very good at lying so everyone always thought he was a hero.

I have a Full Moon Lunar who is very much Conan; not so much honest or honorable as forthright; not so much brave as determined; mostly strong, but clever when he needs to be.
                          Neat, I had to look up Flashman as I had never heard of him before. Interesting, and of course outside of shape changing, Conan fits well into the new Lumar concept of barbarians. Not those who are just savage but those who see civilization as weakening man and who fight against that weakness. Not to mention more than anyone do Lunars tread into the dark and wild places, where ancient horrors lurk and evil is always just out of sight.

Comment

I'm currently playing a Fire Aspect who was heavily inspired by a mix of the Taoist from A Chinese Ghost Story and Sammo Hung's character in Spooky Encounters.

I'm also working on a martial arts supernal Dawn caste inspired by my playing of Fist of the North Stat: Lost Paradise's absurd martial arts makes you good at everything mini games, particularly the clinic one.

https://youtu.be/0IOaS2OU7JI

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

Conan fits well into the new Lumar concept of barbarians. Not those who are just savage but those who see civilization as weakening man and who fight against that weakness. Not to mention more than anyone do Lunars tread into the dark and wild places, where ancient horrors lurk and evil is always just out of sight.
                              That's not a "new concept." That was part of 1e, and if anything, 3e's moved away from fantasy barbarism.

Comment

Working...
                              X