Characters that inspired your characters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arkayriel View Post

Conan fits well into the new Lumar concept of barbarians. Not those who are just savage but those who see civilization as weakening man and who fight against that weakness. Not to mention more than anyone do Lunars tread into the dark and wild places, where ancient horrors lurk and evil is always just out of sight.
    Conan of the books didn't hate civilization or see it as weakening. He's so dangerous because he combines the cunning, and intelligence of civilization with the wild urges and strength of the barbarian tribes. He practically embodies which everyone he isn't in: he's a wild, dangerous "barbarian" to the city folk and he's a cunning, crimelord type figure to the wild tribes. He's all but explicitly stated to be more dangerous for having come into civilization- the Tower of the Elephant is his first chronological story and he's extremely confused by the shadow world of thieves and killers (at first).

They are great stories and I really reccomend them to everyone, but Exalted players in particular.

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
    -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Absolutely true.

Salazan seems really cool and the sort of character that dominates the setting in the rarest of ways, by blending into the landscape and standing out anyway rather then bucking the world. Like the difference between a protagonist in a story and that supporting character that everyone loves way more than the protagonist. Not saying you're not playing the main character of your own legend, only complimenting what seems a unique approach.
      This is among the best compliments I've ever received, thank you.

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
      -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post
        I'm currently playing a Fire Aspect who was heavily inspired by a mix of the Taoist from A Chinese Ghost Story and Sammo Hung's character in Spooky Encounters.
        Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post

I'm also working on a martial arts supernal Dawn caste inspired by my playing of Fist of the North Stat: Lost Paradise's absurd martial arts makes you good at everything mini games, particularly the clinic one.

https://youtu.be/0IOaS2OU7JI

Fist of the North Star is definitely exalted martial arts. I've played the game so I understand what you're saying lol.
        Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        That's not a "new concept." That was part of 1e, and if anything, 3e's moved away from fantasy barbarism.

Ah well, I've still got most of the lunar book to read, I've been mostly using to build characters mates and enemies. I've read the write ups of my favorite characters but I've got more to go thankyou.

Comment

It’s in the introduction.

Comment

It’s in the introduction.
            Can you post which part of the introduction you're referring to? I've reread both and I'm not sure what you're getting at. Neither actually come out and say they're slavering barbarian hordes who want to destroy civilization for the point of "our way is better, we are strong'. Though that's more 2e anyway. Still my understanding from long ago is that 1e lunars were often thought of, at least by players' as leaders of mostly ignorant savages, which many of them also seemed to be. Third, to my limited understanding, moved more to the idea that Solars nigh perfect civilization lead to corruption and weakness, which lead to its' destruction. The Lunars are not necessarily ignorant savages anymore than Conan is, nor are their people. At least that's my limited understanding, which is why I likened to Conan who is smart, strong, and forthright compared to the corrupt, the "weak' civilization he often runs into.

Comment

My Daybreak is equal parts Cymoril (Ruby Throne version) and a more historical take on Medea.

She's a Y'dannan princess consort, but prior to this she was born in a place called Carathis on the eastern shore of the Dreaming Sea, as a result of this she primarily speaks Forest Tongue and has a strong interest in herbs and botany that's considered unbecoming of a noblewoman in her new homeland. In addition to these issues her husband is slowly dying and his younger siblings are trying to assert their claim to their mother's throne over their older brother, which has her perpetually on a knife's edge.

For the last few years she's been sacrificing servants to keep her husband alive. She's convinced herself that these people were all spies or otherwise pawns of her brother or sister in law and that everything she's done has been for the good of her family. All this has got her the patronage of the Lover Clad in the Raiment of Tears who either admires her dedication or is fostering good will for when her husband eventually dies or something happens to her children and she's forced to leave Y'danna after going on a murderous rampage.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
              Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Sweet! So her sacrificing people for her family prevents her Resonance from revealing her nature? Or does something in Y'dana culture make a Deathknight permissable in polite society? There's not much info on that place is there?

Comment

She's not openly an Abyssal. Right now for Ex3 we're treating Resonance as Limit but keeping in mind that the characters are Abyssals for their limit condition and how limit breaks manifest, suffice to say if you mess with her family she'll do something unpleasant to you.

Comment

Can you post which part of the introduction you're referring to?
                    Sorry, I misremembered - it was the first sidebar of Chapter 1 in Fangs at the Gate where they announce the intent to move away from that model. Comparing tribal peoples to the Realm and calling them “savages” is echoing centuries of racist propaganda; there’s really no need for it.

Originally posted by Fangs at the Gate
                    Civilization and Barbarism
                    You won’t find the word “barbarian” used to describe any of the cultures in this book. Societies in Creation, like in the real world, pass judgment on others by naming them barbaric, savage, primitive, or uncivilized, refusing to recognize their civilizations as civilizations. The Realm, as Creation’s predominant force, has unparalleled power to enforce and propagate these judgments throughout its territory. Those who don’t organize their societies in a fashion the Realm recognizes, who don’t match the Realm’s technological sophistication or follow the divine truth of the Immaculate Philosophy — these people the Realm names barbarians. Its conquest and exploitation of these peoples is justified as a righteous cause, bringing the fruits of civilization to those seen as lacking it. The massive tributes extracted from Realm satrapies are a generous price to pay in exchange for its largesse.
                    The truth is that that the differences between these cultures and those like the Realm is a matter of history, geography, and politics, not barbarism or savagery. A lack of cities doesn’t make a society primitive; nomadic peoples are better suited to thrive in regions where conditions are ill-suited to large-scale agriculture, and are less susceptible to disease and malnutrition than city-dwellers. A people without access to iron or bronze won’t develop metallurgical technology of the same sophistication that the Realm boasts — its innovations and ingenuity will instead make use of what resources it does have. A society on the Wyld’s edge abides by taboos that seem arbitrary to outsiders, but that protect its members from the danger of exposure to the Wyld and the depredations of the Fair Folk.
                    That the Realm and societies like it does not recognize these cultures’ sophistication doesn’t mean they lack it.
                    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 07-08-2020, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I misremembered - it was the first sidebar of Chapter 1 in Fangs at the Gate where they announce the intent to move away from that model. Comparing tribal peoples to the Realm and calling them “savages” is echoing centuries of racist propaganda; there’s really no need for it.
                      Thanks, yeah I remembering seeing this. So yeah saying they have a new concept of barbarianism is wrong.I was thinking in terms of how the Realm sees them and wrongly attributing it to the Lunars themselves. That said I still see the wilderness style Lunar in the barbaric fashion of Conan. Not lacking smarts or a sophisticated culture, but having one that the Dominant 'civilization-read Realm-doesn't recognize as such which is what Fangs at the Gate is getting at. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post

Conan of the books didn't hate civilization or see it as weakening. He's so dangerous because he combines the cunning, and intelligence of civilization with the wild urges and strength of the barbarian tribes. He practically embodies which everyone he isn't in: he's a wild, dangerous "barbarian" to the city folk and he's a cunning, crimelord type figure to the wild tribes. He's all but explicitly stated to be more dangerous for having come into civilization- the Tower of the Elephant is his first chronological story and he's extremely confused by the shadow world of thieves and killers (at first).

They are great stories and I really reccomend them to everyone, but Exalted players in particular.
                        That's a good point since he was at the end King Conan. I'd say in his younger days though, he definitely disdained the soft city people, at least so far as his wild nature allowed him to triumph over things they couldn't. He certainly wouldn't be considered barbaric in any of the DnD style games I've run as TheCountAlucard showed with that Fangs at the Gate Clip that 'barbarian' is often a term other cultures use to demean others and raise themselves up. It has no impact on the sophistication of that culture. Conan in many cases displays a nobility the so called civilized lack. But I'll get off the Conan kick now so the thread doesn't get derailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                          She's not openly an Abyssal. Right now for Ex3 we're treating Resonance as Limit but keeping in mind that the characters are Abyssals for their limit condition and how limit breaks manifest, suffice to say if you mess with her family she'll do something unpleasant to you.
                          Like what Medea did to hers? Yeah that's awesome...just hope that Prince doesn't pull a Jason and turn his back on her in horror if he ever understands her true nature. That would not end well for anyone I'd think, though the Lover would probably be right their to console her.

Comment

Like what Medea did to hers? Yeah that's awesome...just hope that Prince doesn't pull a Jason and turn his back on her in horror if he ever understands her true nature. That would not end well for anyone I'd think, though the Lover would probably be right their to console her.
                            He knows what she is, but I don't think he really understands. She's very careful who she shows her darkness to.

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
                            Conan of the books didn't hate civilization or see it as weakening.
                            There's a weird perception of Conan that doesn't even seem to come from the Schwarzenegger movies so much as from later imitations. The D&D class in particular has a lot to answer for.

Comment

My Dawn is a Sword Muse heavily characterized after Julie d'Aubigny. The aesthetics are different but the overall attitude and no-nonsense bohemian take on life is basically hers. She's a monster of a singer and a fighter, has strong feelings about everything and may or may not eat your soul if you get too close.

My Night (heaven's reach game) is a modern ninja, tracking people over worlds both material and digital, surveying everything and everyone faster than they'd think possible and assassinating as the job demands. He was designed after john wick and has much of the casual laid back attitude of benny. He shares their skillset, dresses sharp and is heavily (and discreetly) entertained by the rest of the crew's shenanigans.

My Battles is, basically, a witcher. Even studied in a monster-hunting school that mutates the students into killing machines. You know how fate always seems to put geralt in the middle of some sort of civil war or sorcerous strife? Yeah. His design is more in line with Creation's canon. He's a textbook lookshyan (sans Huntsman eyes) that grew as a soldier and officer, always taking good care of his gear on the field.
                              Last edited by Synapse; 07-08-2020, 10:09 AM.

Check my Exalted homebrew!

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                                My Dawn is a Sword Muse heavily characterized after https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_d'Aubigny"]Julie d'Aubigny[/URL]. The aesthetics are different but the overall attitude and no-nonsense bohemian take on life is basically hers. She's a monster of a singer and a fighter, has strong feelings about everything and may or may not eat your soul if you get too close.

My Night (heaven's reach game) is a modern ninja, tracking people over worlds both material and digital, surveying everything and everyone faster than they'd think possible and assassinating as the job demands. He was designed after https://johnwick.fandom.com/wiki/John_Wick"]john wick[/URL] and has much of the casual laid back attitude of benny. He shares their skillset, dresses sharp and is heavily (and discreetly) entertained by the rest of the crew's shenanigans.

My Battles is, basically, a witcher. Even studied in a monster-hunting school that mutates the students into killing machines. You know how fate always seems to put geralt in the middle of some sort of civil war or sorcerous strife? Yeah. His design is more in line with Creation's canon. He's a textbook lookshyan (sans Huntsman eyes) that grew as a soldier and officer, always taking good care of his gear on the field.
                                So as I posted in another thread I just came back from hiatus cuz of work, sorry for the delay. I think it's awesome you found inspiration from someone historically real. This is the character you posted art of in one of the threads yes?

Your Night had me at John Wick much less a character from Black Lagoon.

I've considered a Witcher type character myself but a twilight instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X