X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkayriel
    started a topic Characters that inspired your characters

Characters that inspired your characters

So I'm curious, beyond you OC ideas, were there any characters you made based on others characters from movies,books, video games etc. For instance maybe you made a Dawn character based off Garrison from Battle Chasers or a Xenith sorcerer based off Harry Dresden. Who inspired you? Why? I'm always impressed with the creativity of my fellow gamers and want to know what you came up with and how you made it your own, either through the mechanics you chose or the way you strode through the world of Exalted with your roleplaying skills.

My first ever Exalted character way back when was Haltan Commando named Coran, based off Kenshin Himura. Kenshin's story of the ultimate swordsman drenched in blood turning his back on his bloody past appealed to me. His constant misfortune to be forced to face that past, while struggling to keep to his new path was something I admired. Coran exalted as Sword of Heaven at the battle of Futile Blood facing a Fire Aspect as the world went mad with death and carnage all around him. Seeing what the Bull's victory had cost Creation, and sickened by the casual ease in which he could now end the lives of others, Corran swore to walk a different road. His world view thrown asunder, he clung to a sense of nonchalance he didn't really feel in his heart. He chose to be known as 'Jack' casting aside his former identity for a new one because he felt that he didn't know jack shit anymore. Soon after while searching for his right path he would meet his circle, his Lunar mate and her pack. From there began his legend, that of the Compassionate Swordmaster of the East and his friends and lover.

Currently I'm considering a character based off Tian Wei from Weapons of the Gods. I hope you found this all a little interesting and hope you're willing to share with us your stories.

• The MG
    replied
    My very first Exalted character was more or less adaption of Makoma, but with the aesthics pulled from Hellboy (there's a very relevant Hellboy story adapting the folktale) and this boss fellow.

Most of my characters have been more archetypal since then, but my current Night was strongly influenced by Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Gina Linetti (in theory if not in practice).

Leave a comment:

• Sadric of Ysyr
    replied
    Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post

Hey-ho Azzo.
    Hey-ho Jay-o

Leave a comment:

• Sorcerous Overlord
    replied
    Originally posted by Sadric of Ysyr View Post

The first was based (somewhat loosely) on Kylar Stern from the Night Angel series by Brent Weeks
    Hey-ho Azzo.

Leave a comment:

• Arkayriel
    replied
    Awesome, thanks for sharing. I liked that series as well. And Elric, what a classic character to pull from.

Leave a comment:

• Sadric of Ysyr
    replied
    I draw a lot of character inspiration from fantasy literary characters, but I've had two that worked really, really well for me.

The first was based (somewhat loosely) on Kylar Stern from the Night Angel series by Brent Weeks. Mnemon Cahlon is a non-Terrestrial Dynast who becomes a Night Caste Solar, with Dragon-Blooded friends of the White Veil Society. He is able to pass as a weak-blooded late-bloomer with the aid of some red jade hearthstone bracers and a Gem of White Heat, in addition to his Night Caste ability to suppress his real anima... for a while. Everyone in the group knew he'd get outed eventually, but the tension until it finally happened (and forced the other players' Dragon-Blooded characters to choose their loyalties) was absolutely delicious.

The second is the one I'm playing right now, a Twilight Caste based on Michael Moorcock's classic sorcerer-emperor, Elric of Melniboné. Sadric of Ysyr is known as the Prince-in-Exile, born among the sorcerer-princes of the exotic island Empire of Ysyr. In our version of Ysyr, the empire is ruled by a Council of Sorcerer-Princes, who select the emperor or empress by acclaim from among their number. Sadric was a rare slave-born sorcerer-prince, i.e., a prince whose parents both were slaves. As is custom in such cases, the sorcerer-prince whom they served claimed him at birth and raised him as his own. Sadric’s father was a political rival of the emperor, however, and eventually made the Threefold Challenge in the old tradition, for crown, for throne, and for scepter. Their sorcerous duel shook the imperial palace, but the emperor ultimately prevailed, and Sadric succeeded his father, inheriting all that was his, including his seat on the Council, and the hate of the emperor.

The emperor strove to find a way to end Sadric before he could gather power enough to make the Threefold Challenge himself, and contrived to set him in command of one of the imperial janissary legions, whose mission was to prevent the encroachment of Ysyr’s rival, the Empire of Prasad, on its borders. The emperor then sent a secret message to the Dragon-Blooded Prasadi general, informing her of Sadric’s position and numbers. She surrounded and trapped him, but to save his troops Sadric managed to maneuver his legion into a narrow mountain pass near the shores of the Dreaming Sea, and used his sorcery to try and collapse the pass on his pursuers. At that moment, the touch of the Unconquered Sun came upon him and his Death of Obsidian Butterflies spell went off so powerfully that it shredded the entire wing of Prasadi vanguard soldiers, before causing an avalanche and closing the pass before the eyes of the Prasadi general, whose troops routed in the face of an Anathema revealed.

The emperor of Ysyr quailed at first, his scheme to rid himself of a potential rival having backfired and created a greater rival than Sadric’s father ever was. He was able to turn it to his advantage, however, by convincing a majority of the Council of Sorcerer-Princes that Prasad’s Dragon-Blooded rani-satrap would undoubtedly call on the Realm for help with a Wyld Hunt against Ysyr if they harbored a known Anathema. Strong as Ysyr is, it could not stand against the combined forces of Prasad and the Scarlet Realm. They voted Sadric into exile, and he agreed to leave peacefully, knowing he didn’t have the power to oppose all those who had voted against him… yet. Sadric refused to force all of his retainers into exile with him, and arranged for them to enter the service of a couple of his closest friends on the Council. He took with him only three loyal retainers, who for their own reasons refused to let him go into exile alone: his two bodyguards, a married couple (and secretly his birth parents), and his valet and spymaster, the wife's father.

Leave a comment:

• Arkayriel
    replied
    Can't believe I forgot my most awesome of Dawn's from 2e, Mice! Pronounced Mee-say, He was modeled after the greatest fictional warrior of all time, Ratcheap from Narnia! I had so much fun racing off with gusto into every fracas and dangerous situation armed with only my rapier wit, my witty rapier and so much confidence it gave the Unconquered Sun self-esteem issues. Good times lol.

Leave a comment:

• Arkayriel
    replied
    Originally posted by Chausse View Post
    If I'm not mistaken (careful spoilers for Liminals here for people that didn't read the Exalted Essence thread) Liminals have some sort of specific condition where they can't be killed until that condition is met.
    Not a bad idea, though it suffers from the Abyssal problem, it's not out yet. Though with the matrix we'll be getting in Exigents to help make powers, I might be able to make it work.

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    If I'm not mistaken (careful spoilers for Liminals here for people that didn't read the Exalted Essence thread) Liminals have some sort of specific condition where they can't be killed until that condition is met.

Leave a comment:

• Arkayriel
    replied
    Hmmm...this has me thinking, I think a character based of Koschei the Deathless could be cool. What would I be though? Abyssals seems obvious but I don't have any rules for that, though by the time I got to play him they very well may be published. Lunar might work given Sha Oka's seemingly unkillable legend but I don't know that being a shapeshifter is a good fit. Solar? I just don't know, what do you guys think?

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    Originally posted by Arkayriel View Post

Rusalka maybe? They were spirits of drowned women, usually not hostile but they could seek revenge or be provoked. That's what I recall anyway
    Interesting I didn't know that one. This seems to fit well.

Leave a comment:

• Arkayriel
    replied

Yeah that's what I found on the internet but idk if there were inspirations of the entity with long black hair that dragged you into a swamp.
    Rusalka maybe? They were spirits of drowned women, usually not hostile but they could seek revenge or be provoked. That's what I recall anyway

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    Originally posted by Arkayriel View Post

The movie Ringu sounds kinda like this I think.
    Yeah that's what I found on the internet but idk if there were inspirations of the entity with long black hair that dragged you into a swamp.

Leave a comment:

• Arkayriel
    replied
    Yeah I guess having a specific Charm selection is a must have for Dodge. I also had a Water Dragon-Blooded with the White Veil Style, that went full "'Girl coming out of the TV" when fighting openly, with a Swamp style anima, and that tried to drown his opponent most of the time. I dunno what's the "original character" for this, I just assume the Girl ouf of the TV/swamp that comes to reclaim you is sort of universal.
    The movie Ringu sounds kinda like this I think.

Leave a comment:

• Arkayriel
    replied
    Originally posted by Lioness View Post
    The phantom -0 health levels from Living Bonds Unburdened are also pretty disgusting for allowing yourself to get hit and forcing an initiative reset.

Yeah that's such a weird dodge charm. Then there's the fact that you can easily disengage and if they try to keep on you they are effectively locked down while your circle slaughters their allies. And then you have that charm which makes rumor of form and drifting leaf illusion not count as charms for purposes of charms like that one(can't remember their names and I'm using my phone and can't look them up)that crashes them if you succeed at dodging without using a charm.

Edit: And don't even think of ganging up on me unless you want to kill your buddy.
    Last edited by Arkayriel; 07-27-2020, 05:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X