X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GhanjRho
    started a topic Systematic Understanding of Everything podcast

Systematic Understanding of Everything podcast

Saw this in this week's Monday Meeting Notes, there is a new podcast (called Systematic Understanding of Everything) dedicated to explaining Exalted, piece by piece. Hosted by Monica (the ExEss dev) and Chazz (from The Story Told), it has two episodes out so far: the first talking about Exalted as a game (and what makes it great), and the second talking about Creation and it's otherworlds (Yu Shan, Malfeas, the Underwold and Autocthonia). It's well worth a listen, especially if you have players who aren't as familiar with Exalted. At about 45 minutes a piece, it's a good overview without going too deep into the weeds. And sometimes, you get spoilers. Two have stood out so far:
    1) Exigents are grouped by what kind of god empowered them. For example, Exigents of city gods are referred to as Architects, and have cool urban powers.
    2) There are Alchemical Exalted in Creation that do not come from Autocthonia. Details to be revealed in Exalted: Essence.

• ElfSpeaker
    replied
    I'm not sure if it came acrsoss in the episode, but I'm excited to see how the Infernals evolve in 3e.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    I still hold the only reason the Yozis were focosued on as thwere in 2e is they were the ones that were shown as examples in Games of Divinity and they wanted to "make sure they got covered again" before moving to anyone else. ANd as such were made more important.

Also, their Caste-associations in 2e were solely dictated along the lines that that's the ordr they showed-up in Games of Divinity.

Leave a comment:

• Greyman
    replied
    Now the latest episode of the Systematic Understanding of Everything is Inner Devil Unchained - Infernals covering the Punk Rock Stars of Malfeas: https://www.exaltcast.com/2020/09/21...ned-infernals/.

Leave a comment:

• ElfSpeaker
    replied
    We have the latest episode of the Systematic Understanding of Everything out now. Gasp of Dead Gods covers the Abyssal Exalted, Lawgivers of Death: https://www.exaltcast.com/2020/09/07...gods-abyssals/

Leave a comment:

• ElfSpeaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I'm enjoying the podcast, but after listening to the Lunars episode, I gotta say that:

Hummingbirds were not associated with war by the Mayans. It was the Aztec whose war god Huitzilopochtli is depicted as a hummingbird. I'm not sure why there's so much confusion about these two groups. It's like confusing Sparta with Athens or something like that.

Woops! I should have caught that. Thank you for the correction.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    I'm enjoying the podcast, but after listening to the Lunars episode, I gotta say that:

Hummingbirds were not associated with war by the Mayans. It was the Aztec whose war god Huitzilopochtli is depicted as a hummingbird. I'm not sure why there's so much confusion about these two groups. It's like confusing Sparta with Athens or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• Uknown DarkLord
    replied
    Originally posted by GhanjRho View Post
    https://www.exaltcast.com/2020/08/24...the-sidereals/
    Ha ha! I remembered the link this time. We learn the origins of the Exalted, the true nature of the Games of Divinity, Terry goes off-script, and even get a small spoiler for ExEss.

Confusion about the discussion about Sidereal exaltations. While exaltation is determined by fate; in 2E mortals fated to exalt into Sidereals did not have that exaltation, or a portion of it, with them since birth. The Sidereals books talk about how sometimes sidereals will train their own replacements.

It also ties into the discussion on how it can take 18 years or more to get a new sidereal. Which if a sidereal dies unexpectedly with no mortal designated as their replacement, then sure. But it isn't always the case.

I don't know if 3E changed any of this.

Leave a comment:

• ElfSpeaker
    replied
    Thank you all for the feedback. This one was a bit off our usual offering for a couple of reasons. It's the first time we don't have 3rd edition material as a guidepost and also the one where Terry has a much deeper familiarity with the previous material. The next couple episodes take a step back from the 2e details once again with a little more conjecture about how things will be portrayed going forward and bits from Essence.

Leave a comment:

• Darkfoxdev
    replied
    Originally posted by Chausse View Post
    You're starting to scare me people I still haven't watched it yet
    It's not as bad as what you're thinking I'm sure, it just went off on some tangents about how the Sidereals, Chejob Kejak and the Games of Divinity were portrayed in the last edition, and in some slightly meme-y ways you'd get from people excited to talk about the neat things they just read, there was an excitement to this episode that came from Terry who normally acts as the audience surrogate for those who aren't familiar with the game instead having just read the splatbook and being really hyped on it. It was a fun discussion, and it did provide a good overview of the Sidereals and their story themes but it went a little off the rails at points and in a way I'd worry doesn't quite fit the 'Exalted for newbies' approach the podcast has had.
    Last edited by Darkfoxdev; 08-27-2020, 05:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    You're starting to scare me people I still haven't watched it yet

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Darkfoxdev View Post
    I'd prefer a lot less focus on the weird tangents 2e went off on that aren't as relevant now since they'll communicate the wrong idea to my players.
    It’s the same reason I don’t recommend the TVTropes or 1d4chan pages for Exalted as player resources. :-/

Leave a comment:

• Darkfoxdev
    replied
    I wasn't as big on this one, the 2e focus and in-jokes made it a lot less applicable to the current edition, I'm going to be recommending this to my players when the Essence manuscript drops, and I'm uncertain that this one does a good job communicating the idea of sidereals, as opposed to their design history. I'd prefer a lot less focus on the weird tangents 2e went off on that aren't as relevant now since they'll communicate the wrong idea to my players.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    Terry sounds like he read a good chunk of 2e also, which oddly kind of to me caused weirdness. Something I do like about the podcast is the kind of fresh take on things for new people, but this one felt like it got bogged down in minutia more than previous episodes did.

Still a good podcast, but I think there probably should be a bit more of taking into account going forward with less-defined Exalts that bit about, since I think detangling previous from current editions will be harderw hen all is presented is previous edition stuff.

For instnace, something that stood out to me was the Chejob name memes did kind of feel a bit overly "inside jokey" I guess. And his presentation of "About to die any day now" is his 2e take, not 1e (he had a cnetury or two then), the First Age is longer in 3e so he is born different in relation to it, and I think that while this isn't the place for that distinction, is something to think on how things have been presented throughe ditions does effect how things might be presented to an audience.

I guess generally what I say to folks, "Remember editions are reboots" and even characters like Chejob might have different takes. See Aunt May or the Kent parents there for examples I think. <_<
    Last edited by Blaque; 08-25-2020, 06:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chausse
    replied
    Originally posted by GhanjRho View Post
    https://www.exaltcast.com/2020/08/24...the-sidereals/
    Ha ha! I remembered the link this time. We learn the origins of the Exalted, the true nature of the Games of Divinity, Terry goes off-script, and even get a small spoiler for ExEss.
    I'm interested in the origins of the Exalted and the nature of the Games of Divinity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X