Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of Dreams of the First Age?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I liked dreams--but I think it was a case of showing that the rules system really, really wasn't set up to handle high-level essence games.

Personally, I've been thinking of redoing it with 3E rules, while keeping the magitech focus.
    (I really miss the magitech in exalted.).

Comment

• Honestly, I find the Realm presented in Lands of Creation to already not nearly be so magitech heavy as one might expect, or as many people seem to recall or desire.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• What about I AM? Like a magical Internet.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

• This is an incredibly minor thing but I love this bit from a Solar Survival charm DotFA:

She
          places representations the five elements at the center and
          directional boundaries of the shelter (these representations
          can be actual examples of each element, such as twigs, stone,
          cinders, etc, or the Solar may use a few drops of blood, paper
          effigies, Dragon-Blooded willing to sit still, or other tokens)
          Ah, Exalted. I love when it gets a teensy bit whimsically silly like this in the middle of extremely ornate and mythic prose. I especially like how it showcases the intended (in-universe) relationship between Solars and DB's without just trashing the latter and making them out to be worthless cannon fodder/slaves/bad things like so much of 2e.
          Last edited by Frostav; 09-02-2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Penelope View Post
            What about I AM? Like a magical Internet.
            That is precisely the problem. IAM is practically a prosthetic primordial, a mind of pure essence interwoven with the world whose fractal selves continuously split and reform, charged with the preservation of all the splendors of the Solar Realm and all that dwelt therein. A pantheon in one who was both friend and servant to might and mortal alike.

And they made it the internet. They stripped out all the grandure and gravitas to leave the most banal possible presentation. As if a synod of superhumans with the blessings of the gods and the unrivaled dominion couldn't do better than us comfortable 20th century humans.

Comment

• Huh. Idea.

Comment

• Huh. I have an idea. How about I Am doesn't just have terminals. He's everywhere. You know how some people say reality is composed out of code and thst code can be manipulated? That's I Am. At low levels he can work with sidereals to reduce fate disruptions and seal off damages to reality like fair folk incursions. At higher levels, the laws of physics are under his command.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frostav View Post
                  without just trashing the latter and making them out to be worthless cannon fodder/slaves/bad things like so much of 2e.
                  ...It specifically puts them on the same level as random detritus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
                    And they made it the internet. They stripped out all the grandure and gravitas to leave the most banal possible presentation. As if a synod of superhumans with the blessings of the gods and the unrivaled dominion couldn't do better than us comfortable 20th century humans.
                    ​IAM is one of those things where what's actually in the books doesn't look that bad but almost immediately after the boxed set came out people were treating it exactly like the internet with web pages etc (I was guilty of this too) rather than an artificial sentience that’s capable of holding ten thousand, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion *deep breath* trillion, trillion, trillion conversations at once.

As such it seems unlikely that it’d facilitate a set-up of Solars cultivating social media profiles and sharing memes when its probably more like the magic mirror in Snow White telling the evil queen she's beautiful as a form of harm reduction.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post

...It specifically puts them on the same level as random detritus.
                      It's a joke.

That's like the most negative interpretation possible. To me it gave off the very funny impression of a Solar telling five dragon-blooded to sit and meditate in a circle. If the charm requires manifestations of the elements, why wouldn't it allow dragon-blooded to substitute them?

Like damn, man. It's a funny joke. Humor. Like the part of the Sid book where it says "Young sidereals are advised not to eat their operational budgets" or the infamous cake art/story. You are taking an amusing line way too seriously.
                      Last edited by Frostav; 09-03-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                        ​IAM is one of those things where what's actually in the books doesn't look that bad but almost immediately after the boxed set came out people were treating it exactly like the internet with web pages etc (I was guilty of this too) rather than an artificial sentience that’s capable of holding ten thousand, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion, trillion *deep breath* trillion, trillion, trillion conversations at once.

As such it seems unlikely that it’d facilitate a set-up of Solars cultivating social media profiles and sharing memes when its probably more like the magic mirror in Snow White telling the evil queen she's beautiful as a form of harm reduction.
                        Why couldn’t I AM be both? A social media network for the general public and a magic mirror for the Exalted elite?

Frostav what’s the cake art/story?

Comment

• That one of a Twilight's Lunar Mate eating all of the cakes she made for an occasion. It was a 2e comic (can't remember which one) and was a chapter fiction in 3e's corebook.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frostav View Post
                            That one of a Twilight's Lunar Mate eating all of the cakes she made for an occasion. It was a 2e comic (can't remember which one) and was a chapter fiction in 3e's corebook.
                            It was a single art piece in Masters of Jade, where the Lunar was unconcerned with concealing herself, and an alternate single piece in the EX3 core, where the Lunar is sneaking away from a Solar who doesn't know what the hell happened. Only in MoJ is the incident explained in context (an attempt to disrupt the Solar baker's burgeoning business relationship with the Guild).

Lunars eating cake - serious business.

Comment

• Awesome!!! Imma tell my BFF that. Her mom owns a cake shop.
                              Last edited by Penelope; 09-03-2020, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exthalion View Post

That is precisely the problem. IAM is practically a prosthetic primordial, a mind of pure essence interwoven with the world whose fractal selves continuously split and reform, charged with the preservation of all the splendors of the Solar Realm and all that dwelt therein. A pantheon in one who was both friend and servant to might and mortal alike.

We are forced to try and develop relationships with one another. As I recall, people at the tail end of the First Age were largely forming highly personalised relationships with I AM. That's a level of precision much beyond what is currently possible, and carries a fair number of implications.

Still, I'll be interested if Lea sees this and has an interesting response to this critique of his work. I recall when he described submitting I AM and it upping the game on the book's writing a bit.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                                Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
                                X