No announcement yet.

These Pages Are Knives: New Martial Arts Book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest Moon Style has now been added to the Vault.

Still two more days on the big Halloween sale if you've been wavering!

Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine RPGJenna Moran's PatreonRobert Vance's Patreon

Comment

I've now added Turtle Style to the Vault.

Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine RPGJenna Moran's PatreonRobert Vance's Patreon

Comment

I'm not especially knowledgeable about game balance, but I seem to recall that Charms which let you hit multiple targets with a single withering attack usually put some kind of limit on how much initiative the attacker can gain (like Circle of Bright Reaving).

Spinning Shell Assault seems pretty damned strong without that sort of clause, although I guess it might not be as amazing as it sounds since there aren't a lot of other offensive Charms in the style to apply along with it (as compared to all of Solar Melee).

This style is very cool in any case, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
          I'm not especially knowledgeable about game balance, but I seem to recall that Charms which let you hit multiple targets with a single withering attack usually put some kind of limit on how much initiative the attacker can gain (like Circle of Bright Reaving).

Spinning Shell Assault seems pretty damned strong without that sort of clause, although I guess it might not be as amazing as it sounds since there aren't a lot of other offensive Charms in the style to apply along with it (as compared to all of Solar Melee).

This style is very cool in any case, though.
          I'm glad to hear you like it! I'll take your feedback into consideration; I'd like to hear whether it seems too strong once it's been used more in practice (since you do have to hit three different people on a penalized roll to get the triple Initiative harvest), and I can make changes if it turns out that it is too strong after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand Brittain View Post

I'm glad to hear you like it! I'll take your feedback into consideration; I'd like to hear whether it seems too strong once it's been used more in practice (since you do have to hit three different people on a penalized roll to get the triple Initiative harvest), and I can make changes if it turns out that it is too strong after all.
            A penalized roll? I thought it was the enemies' Defenses that were penalized.

I, uh, suppose it seems a little less excessive now. >_>

Comment

A penalized roll? I thought it was the enemies' Defenses that were penalized.

I, uh, suppose it seems a little less excessive now. >_>
              You'll be dropping successes off the attack roll, which is even more of a factor. It's definitely very powerful if you have three targets to hit, and you manage to smack all three even when you need three extra successes to get the last one (and because that one gets the biggest soak reduction you're likely to want the toughest one to eat the biggest penalty if you want), but it's not likely to actually all line up that many times in practice.

Comment

Looking the matter over, this was legitimately poor wording on my part, so I've uploaded a new file that phrases the matter more clearly.

Comment

I've enjoyed some of your previous works. If a player had a specific concept in mind I'd definitely point them at this collection.

As an aside are you considering writing a pdf for sorcery spells? Sorcery is terribly under-served both officially and 3rd party. I'd like to see what you could do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Great Cthulhu View Post
                    I've enjoyed some of your previous works. If a player had a specific concept in mind I'd definitely point them at this collection.

As an aside are you considering writing a pdf for sorcery spells? Sorcery is terribly under-served both officially and 3rd party. I'd like to see what you could do with it.

I'd reccomend Rand's Thousand Sanctioned Bestiary Sorcerer's entry for that.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
                    Many Limbed Manual
                    Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                    San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
                    My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                      I'd reccomend Rand's Thousand Sanctioned Bestiary Sorcerer's entry for that.
                      The spells in that one are excellent (it's probably my favorite single PDF Rand has produced), which is all the more reason I hope he writes more sorcery material at some point.

Comment

Let me give some thought to sorcery! Often what I write is dependent on what inspiration catches my attention long enough to get written, but if lots of people want sorcery it seems like a good way to make money. I just want to be careful so as to avoid writing something that winds up being displaced by an eventual sorcery book (when I could instead write something that will one day supplement an official sorcery book).

Comment

The spells in that one are excellent (it's probably my favorite single PDF Rand has produced), which is all the more reason I hope he writes more sorcery material at some point.
                          Third-ing the Thousand Sanctioned Beasts. My only complain with those books is there's a disappointing lack of proper beasts in the series.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Corsair, Director, Keeper of the Karstein Manor, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Erymanthian Boar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Family Head, Kindred, Agent, Poltergeist, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Conspiracy Theorist, First Time Traveler

Comment

I've now added Kingfisher Style to the Vault.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand Brittain View Post
                              I've now added https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/344983"]Kingfisher Style[/URL] to the Vault.
                              Kind of an odd question, but here goes.
                              Love your other works, definitely wanting to start collecting these. Is there one in particular you'd say exemplifies your goals/visions for the line?

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Corsair, Director, Keeper of the Karstein Manor, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Erymanthian Boar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Family Head, Kindred, Agent, Poltergeist, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Conspiracy Theorist, First Time Traveler

Comment

Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post

Kind of an odd question, but here goes.
                                Love your other works, definitely wanting to start collecting these. Is there one in particular you'd say exemplifies your goals/visions for the line?
                                Peacock, Hedgehog, and Salamander are probably my favorites, if only because they build on my desire to make it clear to everybody that animal styles are cool and fun and people shouldn't feel obligated to make Celestial Peacock Style in order to be a "real" martial art.

Comment

Working...
                                X