Shore Up the Aura-p

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shore Up the Aura-p

Recently on the Exalted Discord somebody mentioned that it's pretty damn hard to use particular ability signature charms with three mismatching abilities. For example a Wood aspect using Water charms in the primarily Fire aspected melee tree. Arguably, that's not something that should necessarily be easy, on the other hand there's some charms like Erupting Fury Barrage, and Roaring River Slash are hard to use.

My goal here isn't to make a whole new charmset, like add 7 new fire aspect charms in the Brawl tree, just give like one or maybe two charms that make it a bit easier for people in trying to use Aura. So, for instance, Archery has only two Earth charms, but neither of them get any benefit from Aura so I don't really care that there's not an easy way for an Air Aspect to use them.

So far I have this as the list to work on

Archery - Fire
    Brawl - Fire, Air
    Melee - Water
    Stealth - Water, Earth

I'm thinking things like this:

Flowing Stream Stance
    Cost: 3m, 1i Mins: Melee 3, Essence 2
    Type: Reflexivve
    Keywords: Perilous, Uniform, Water
    Duration: Until next Turn
    Prerequisite Charms: Flame-Borne Interception, Graceful Flowing Defense

The Dragon-Blood moves like a stream, flowing endlessly from one defensive stance to another. This charm may only be used on the Dragon-blood's turn. Until the start of her next turn the Dragon-Blood ignores 1 point of penalty to her defense, and also waves the initiative cost and Perilous keyword of Graceful Flowing Defense.

Flame Wreathed Fist
    Cost: 3m Mins: Brawl 2, Essence 2
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Dual, Fire
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite Charms: None

Surrounding her fist in a ball of fire the Dragon-Blood strikes a searing blow. Add up to (Strength) overflow successes to damage on a withering attack. On a decisive attack detonate all remaining Ignition Points put in place by Erupting Fury Barrage.

Irascible Thunder Counterattack
    Cost: 5m Mins: Brawl 3, Essence 2
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Decisive-only, Air
    Duration: Until next turn
    Prerequisite Charms: Blade-Deflecting Palm

The Dragon-Blood spins in place, coiling her arms and gathering the power of the storm in them. Until her next turn Blade-Deflecting Palm's Water keyword becomes Air/Water. Furthermore if she invokes Blade-Deflecting Palm and successfully defends from an attack, she may respond with a decisive counterattack, adding higher of (Essence or 3) to the raw damage.
    Last edited by DrLoveMonkey; 08-27-2020, 04:58 PM.

These are great, thanks for sharing. Fire Brawl is something I'd have selfishly loved to see more of across WFHW and Heirs, but there's only space for so much.

On Melee, I kinda figured they might tweak the Water variation on Dragon-Scale Shield so it's less specific and thus could be used for aura management. Along with Graceful Flowing Defence and Fire Incites Water To Clouds you'd have options then (the other DSS variations seem like handy ways to make the right aura available for melee).

Earth and Dodge – with two charms (not counting Elusive Dragon-God Dispersion) that interact with aura – seems hard, but maybe that's fine given how unintutitve that match up is and how UCE actually works. One for the list though maybes?

Wood/Dodge too to some extent unless you're spamming Virtuous Negation Defence, but perhaps that's because Swaying Grass Elusion is so good that it needs to be gated somehow (it's saved the life of our Wood Aspect a few times now).

Thrown can be a pain for Wood too if you're not fighting anything that can be poisoned. But suspect that's a 'low demand' match-up.
    Last edited by Moss Reynholm; 08-27-2020, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Well dodge is a bit trickier because it’s almost always used outside of your turn, which means it doesn’t get you into aura even if you had a bunch of earth based dodge charms. You’re almost always using your turn, so in combat your main attack ability, to get into it. I suppose it might be worth looking into thrown/archery which depend solely on dodge for defense to try and line them up with dodge better.

Edit: I know you can use dodge with Melee, brawl and MA, but if you’re one aspect, using an off aspect ability and using the charm subset there that doesn’t match up with either of them, and using Dodge’s off aspect charms, you should maybe just try to avoid aura charms all together and focus on freely comboing different aspect charms.
      Last edited by DrLoveMonkey; 08-27-2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

For Earth in Dodge, I'd look at disengage and take cover enhancers, since those are the only rolls you regularly make on your turn with Dodge. At Essence 1 or 2, I could see a dodge charm that let you disengage with someone and left the space between you covered with spikes and shards of rock, making it difficult terrain if you succeed on the disengage and they try to follow you. Another Earth-based disengage effect might be to literally sink into the ground, preventing anyone from moving towards you unless they could also move through the earth. That one would be powerful enough that I can't really see it as less than Essence 2, and possibly higher. For a low-Essence effect, maybe just kick up a dust storm to give yourself a bonus on disengaging.

For take cover, one thing that springs immediately to mind is a charm to treat cover based on earth and stone as one step better, by stretching and shaping the stuff you're sheltering behind so that it protects more of you.

Comment

A reflexive Defense-enhancing Charm that has to be activated during your turn because reasons is the most contrived way possible to meet the intended goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
            A reflexive Defense-enhancing Charm that has to be activated during your turn because reasons is the most contrived way possible to meet the intended goal.
            I actually put that there partially for balance reasons. You could just not have that clause and still use the charm to get into aura anyway. You could just not have it and it would work exactly as well for "reasons".

EDIT: I think I may have overcosted it, I was still thinking about it providing more of a benefit than it did, I'll drop it a mote.
            Last edited by DrLoveMonkey; 08-27-2020, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
              For take cover, one thing that springs immediately to mind is a charm to treat cover based on earth and stone as one step better, by stretching and shaping the stuff you're sheltering behind so that it protects more of you.
              As it turns out Heirs has exactly that charm. It supplement's a take cover action, and provides light cover from no cover, or heavy cover from light earth or stone cover. It also enhances the Take Cover action with double 9s if you're in Aura.

Combining Disengage with Earth is pretty difficult though, as you say especially at Essence 2 or less, though I think the difficult terrain might work.

Shattered Earth Retreat
              Cost: 3m Mins: Dodge 4, Essence 2
              Keywords: Earth
              Duration: Instant
              Prerequisite Charms: Stone-Sculpting Fortification

The ground beneath the Earth Dragon cracks and overturns in the wake of her retreat, barring those who would advance after her. This charm supplements a disengage action taken over some kind of earthen surface. If successful the intervening space becomes difficult terrain.

Comment

For Earth in Dodge, I'd look at disengage and take cover enhancers, since those are the only rolls you regularly make on your turn with Dodge.
                Even better if those Earth-aspected Dodge Charms involve shaping the earth in such a way that the Dragon-Blooded can use it as a weapon with Thrown.

There's a lot of Earth-aspected Thrown Charms, and Avatar Earthbenders were always erecting walls for cover and then throwing the walls at their attackers.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                  As it turns out Heirs has exactly that charm.
                  Heh, whoops, didn't think to check Heirs before making the suggestion.

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey
                  Shattered Earth Retreat
                  Yeah, that's about what I was thinking. You could even pull it down to Essence 1 if you said that only one target of the disengage had to deal with difficult terrain (the one who rolled fewest successes, for instance), and made it only apply to everyone as an Essence 2 upgrade.

Comment

Well dodge is a bit trickier because it’s almost always used outside of your turn, which means it doesn’t get you into aura even if you had a bunch of earth based dodge charms. You’re almost always using your turn, so in combat your main attack ability, to get into it. I suppose it might be worth looking into thrown/archery which depend solely on dodge for defense to try and line them up with dodge better.
                    Yeah, was more thinking about giving the less well-served auras elements to boost their defences but still stay in aura outside of the Excellency, which as you pointed out isn't really the point of your exercise. Apologies

Shattered Earth Retreat

Yeah, that's about what I was thinking. You could even pull it down to Essence 1 if you said that only one target of the disengage had to deal with difficult terrain (the one who rolled fewest successes, for instance), and made it only apply to everyone as an Essence 2 upgrade.
                    Was also thinking something like an Earth elemented variant on Hopping Firecracker Evasion, akin to this at 40 secs...

Last edited by Moss Reynholm; 08-27-2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moss Reynholm View Post
                      Wood/Dodge too to some extent unless you're spamming Virtuous Negation Defence, but perhaps that's because Swaying Grass Elusion is so good that it needs to be gated somehow (it's saved the life of our Wood Aspect a few times now).
                      Is it a Wood aspect using it? They can just pay a mote to enhance a stunt with their anima power and enter it that way. Or alternatively are they using wood aspected attack charms? What ability are they using?

Thrown can be a pain for Wood too if you're not fighting anything that can be poisoned. But suspect that's a 'low demand' match-up.
                      What about something like this?

Sudden Windfall Attack
                      Cost: 4m, +1a Mins: Thrown 3, Essence 2
                      Type: Simple
                      Keywords: Withering-only
                      Duration: Indefinite
                      Prerequisite Charms: Invisibly Hidden Chakram Method

This charm allows for an alternate way to banish and recall weapons with its prerequisite, by banishing them into an elemental expression of air, earth, fire, water, or wood. If the weapon is banished this way, it may either be recalled by ending the commitment to Invisibly Hidden Chakram as normal. However, the Dragon-Blood may pay 4m to instead summon it from a similar manifestation as a withering unexpected attack. Enemies may roll (Perception + Awareness) against her Guile to notice the attack. Either way the weapon finds its way to hand of the Dragon-Blood after making the attack.

This charm has the elemental keyword for whatever element the weapon was banished to. She may also pay one level of anima to treat her anima as an elemental manifestation of her aspect.

Dragon Fang Weapon
                      Cost: - Mins: Thrown 3, Essence 2
                      Keywords: Withering-only
                      Duration: One scene
                      Prerequisite Charms: Sudden Windfall Attack

When the Dragon-Blood uses the prerequisite the weapon summoned arrives enhanced by the element that it was banished with. Alternatively she can use an elemental expression to create a mundane version of the weapon. The weapon gains the following benefits based on element.

Air: Air aides the weapon's flight, extending its range by one band, maximum long. If the weapon already has Long range add 2 to the accuracy of the weapon at Long range.

Earth: The weapon grows heavy with stones, striking with impact and ignoring one point of soak from armor.

Fire: The weapon smokes and flickers with flame gaining +1 overwhelming.

Water: Water surrounds the weapon, slipping and evading attempts to seize it. It adds +2 to the difficulty of disarm gambits, or any attempt to catch it mid-flight.

Wood: Splines of wood give purchase to poison. This weapon gains the Poisonable tag. If it already has the Poisonable tag add 1 to the duration of any poisons applied to it.

Comment

Was also thinking something like an Earth elemented variant on Hopping Firecracker Evasion, akin to this at 40 secs.
                        That is definitely really cool, but it does bring up a small difference between Avatar the Last Airbender and Exalted a bit, they're not quite the same. One of the things that elemental charms do in Exalted is usually follow certain themes. So for example Water tends to be about evasion, adaptability, Fire is aggressive but fragile, Earth is unmoving and hard, Wood is tough, regenerative, etc. That's not en exhaustive list but it gives the idea.

That's why the two Earth dodge charms are "I stand in place and form cover around me" and "I stand here and YOU move away from ME". Having an Earth charm to enhance mobility is something that's okay to have, it's not off limits, but it's probably not going to be something at low essence with few prerequisites.

Comment

That is definitely really cool, but it does bring up a small difference between Avatar the Last Airbender and Exalted a bit, they're not quite the same. One of the things that elemental charms do in Exalted is usually follow certain themes. So for example Water tends to be about evasion, adaptability, Fire is aggressive but fragile, Earth is unmoving and hard, Wood is tough, regenerative, etc. That's not en exhaustive list but it gives the idea.

That's why the two Earth dodge charms are "I stand in place and form cover around me" and "I stand here and YOU move away from ME". Having an Earth charm to enhance mobility is something that's okay to have, it's not off limits, but it's probably not going to be something at low essence with few prerequisites.
                          And that's fine, because Dragon-Blooded aren't benders, especially in being limited to one element.

The point of adding under-served elements to Abilities shouldn't be to avoid the primary elements of an Ability, but to give other Aspects ways to use those Abilities to generate or take advantage of their in-Aspect Auras.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Is it a Wood aspect using it? They can just pay a mote to enhance a stunt with their anima power and enter it that way. Or alternatively are they using wood aspected attack charms? What ability are they using?
                            This one was a hypothetical discussion point really, for say an Fire Aspect Thrown user – a combo that seems like one of the better out of aspect match ups outside Melee but one that is unlikely to be able to use the Dodge Wood sig as things stand – or say a non-Wood Aspect using one of the Dodge-based MAs. Musing/being greedy more than anything as that's probably a reasonable status quo.

Take the point about Earth and mobility – given that EDGD makes Hopping Firecracker Evasion match your anima at E5 already, think the devs agree with you.

--

Other charms look great – although lord knows I'd like to think of something other than a poison effect for Wood one of these days. Maybe trailing, entangling vines that inflict a mobility penalty or the like...
                            Last edited by Moss Reynholm; 08-28-2020, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Using the wood wig with fire thrown is probably going to be really hard anyway. If the three fire charms in thrown none of them are Balanced.

As for the poison/wood thing I think you absolutely could have it other ways, but I wanted some synergy with the charms already there.

Comment

Working...
                              X