Martial Arts Merit Cost

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post

Thing is an artifact is going to be fundamentally different first of all. Almost all artifacts are written with the assumption that you'll have your native charms to bolster them. I'm not saying that an artifact cannot have offensive or defense stuff, but they're made with the assumption of "Oh yea, the dude taking this will have an offense/defense suite that will allow them to expand past any holes the evocation suite has."

MA's cannot assume this. MA's assume you're either taking dodge or using their native parry charms (which then need to be made into the MA). MA's contain a lot more generic workhorse charms than an evocation suite, which assumes you already have that by default. Usually any workhorse charms an evocation set has are effects that typically link up to later charms or match the theme of the artifact.

That's my point. I think making the MA = Evocations thing is a very design trap to fall into myself. They're similar, but pretty different.
    Yes okay I see your point. I think for my games I'd go along with it because I'm not trying to make MA into Artefacts, but rather to give something interesting to MA that compel them a bit more to go into it without losing too much points (4 is a lot for solely accessing the Charms). I think I'd like to see a bit more characters using some new Charms and have really personalized way of fighting instead of hearing the eternal "I use Perfect Strike"

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Originally posted by Sandact6 View Post
      MA forces you to either live with the (sometimes fairly huge) gaps in your charmset or forces you to buy up an entirely new combat ability. This is often rare for native sets, which give your character the ability to do almost anything and typically I don't need to repurchase another whole ability.
      Yeah. There's a reason why thus far only Lunars have parity between the xp costs for Evocations and Martial Arts charms.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
      Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Is anyone hoping for any particular solutions in Exalted: Essence?

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
          Is anyone hoping for any particular solutions in Exalted: Essence?
          In Essence Martial Arts Charms are Close Combat/Ranged Combat Charms, so there should be no need to gate them behind a merit. At worst I could see like a 1 dot cost per MA just so people don't dip into them nilly-willy, but I don't expect a whopping 4 dot gate (or whatever the equivalent of merit dots will be in Essence).

Comment

I'm hoping Essence does approach MA in a different way in general.

I haven't kept up on the news, so I don't know how much detail MA has gotten in the previews.

What I'd hope is that MA (as the whole project's goal is to reduce things and make them more manageable), if it is going to remain its own thing, would be reduced to single Form Charms rather than distinct combat Charm trees; or at least something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
              I'm hoping Essence does approach MA in a different way in general.

I haven't kept up on the news, so I don't know how much detail MA has gotten in the previews.

What I'd hope is that MA (as the whole project's goal is to reduce things and make them more manageable), if it is going to remain its own thing, would be reduced to single Form Charms rather than distinct combat Charm trees; or at least something similar.
              With all Close Combat Charms and Ranged Combat Charms being universal, it seems like a great opportunity to cut out a lot of what Exalted has treated as "Martial Arts".

Have a short Ranged Combat Charm tree for projectiles in general, a separate short tree specifically for small throwing blades, another for larger projectiles like javelins, a tree for firewands that easily encompasses everything Righteous Devil Style could offer (including a Form Charm that forbids armor)...

Comment

I highly doubt we'll see Essence go into specific Charms for individual classes of weapons that narrow. We don't have basic Charms now that care about throwing knives vs. javelins.

I would much rather see page count on something like the idea of MA-as-single-Form-Charms that make you really good with a small selection of weapons (esp. with broader Abilities) and some boosts with cross-ability appeal. One Righteous Devil Form Charm is, to me, valuable. 2-3 firewarnd specific universal Charms are less so; at least from what I understand of Essence.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                  I highly doubt we'll see Essence go into specific Charms for individual classes of weapons that narrow. We don't have basic Charms now that care about throwing knives vs. javelins.
                  That's because basic Charms and Martial Arts Charms are already separate.

But see, when there's no Thrown or Archery or Righteous Devil Martial Arts or Night Breeze Martial Arts or Air Dragon Martial Arts, just a single "Ranged Combat" Ability, then you can already anticipate Charm trees for archery separate from throwing weapons, and potentially a set of Charms for chakram (Air Dragon) separate from those for throwing knives (Night Breeze).

Though it's entirely possible that the Charms simply won't have that much granularity, and weapons will contain all of their unique traits within themselves through a Tag system like vanilla Third Edition.

Comment

Oh, I think there will be "archery" and "thrown" Charms in Essence, but I think they're going to be capstones or offshoots of the core tree for ranged rather than full separate trees. I don't think we'll see many of them though, because there isn't as much of a need to give Archery and Thrown their own flavors in Essence. Instead of Thrown getting a lot more "trick" Charms to Archery's direct boosting, I don't think Essence has a good reason to worry about that.

Which opens up space for MA.

Comment

Working...
                    X