Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's life like in the shittier places in Creation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's life like in the shittier places in Creation?

Like, say, maybe your town got hit by cholera last year. Or maybe you're living right next to a wyld-spot, or a shadowland. Maybe there's a pack of roving wyld mutants. Maybe the neighbouring Demense has done strange things to the area. Maybe a god's been talking about sacrifices...

Either way, you aren't in a safe city. You aren't in a the Blessed Isle, where at least the Immaculate Order and an army of DBs stand between you and the monsters. You're out in the wild, where shit can get kinda fucked.

What's life like?

What's life like in the shittier places on Earth?

'Cause I think you pretty much nailed it in OP.

That said, it can't rain all the damn time. If an area is THAT hostile to human habitation... humans won't live there. Your town might have a problem with cholera, or get raided by mutants, or what-have-you... but this should be rare.

It's the vomit-icing on the crap-cake.

95% of the time, life should just be trying to eek out a sustainance by subsistence farming/hunter-gathering the land. Frankly, that's hard enough without Wyld Mutants who want to eat your face.

I can see farming communities on a first name basis with local bandits (whether those bandits are basically human or have lobster claws for hands), if only because the bandits who parasite the farmers to death will also starve.

Actually, forget Earth. Tattooine. It's like Tattooine.

Luke Skywalker lives a mind-numbingly boring life of subsistence farming, desperate for adventure. He gets up at dawn, drinks a glass of milk, performs back-break labor until dusk, then goes to bed. Day in, day out, for years. The only traders are a bunch of con-artists, who strole through irregularly; selling junk at over-inflated prices. But, like, literally a block away, there's a gang of murderous, slave-taking Sand People. And a wise old hermit, whom the seemingly impossibly distant Evil Empire would like to kill. Most days, absolutely nothing noteworthy happens to Luke. He lives 18 years of pure boredom. Then he comes home one day to find his aunt and uncle murdered, and the family home burnt to the ground. And it wasn't even the local Sand People who did it, but some other merry maurading band of monsters.

Creation is like that.

I hate sand.
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-10-2020, 06:08 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Probably sucks, but might be a cool origin story for a Solar or even a Sidereal

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
        Probably sucks, but might be a cool origin story for a Solar or even a Sidereal
        *waves hands around*

I have a few character concepts that are pretty much all starting out in the Threshold, because I saw a few posts on non-exalted dynasts turning into Solars, and kinda felt irked. I needed something to help flesh them out.

Comment

In that case I agree with JohnDoe244. His Luke Skywalker example is perfect.

But seriously, if your character starts life as a Dynast, even a non-Exalted one in the Threshold, their life won’t be that shitty.

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

[post deleted]
            Last edited by Exthalion; 09-10-2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Hmm... Kind of less specifically on the Skywalker example, but just because I'm kind of inclined to pick (perhaps slightly unfairly) at the slightly less than typical setup there. History, and like, most of Creation as I'd guess, is mostly not "I live on a ranch with my adoptive mum & dad and never so much as see anyone else" and more "I live in a village with a bunch of other folk, and we have no lords... but occasionally people from a nearby village try and kill us all, or else if that's not happening, we try and kill them instead" or "The same, but with overlords, which means people from nearby villages more rarely try and kill us, but we have more hard labour obligations", and either way it kind of grinds down what little they can gather above subsistence. It's less a drag in the sense of living on a lonely isolated homestead, with no one for company but a couple of relatives, and its all just so *boring* because you never see anyone (which is kind of a constraint from Star Wars setup of Luke as a hidden special child + some kind of "Wild West" type US tradition).

Comment

Don't let city life fool you, shit sucks real bad in a lot of places. Wu Jian's lower levels are brackish water that seldom if ever gets sunlight and wild spirits run amok. Also don't eat the pork buns.

Shadowlands can be a mixed blessing, kind of. The undead and hungry ghosts and alladem can get out, sure, but for a rare few brave types and exorcists its possible to talk to the benevolent dead, and even trade with them. I made an adventure in a town just like that, most good folk lock up their doors and windows, while a few idiots/badasses brave the dangers of the night in exchange for lucrative information and rare underworld resources.

remember also that violence and war are the default state of humanity, not the exception. If bandits, warlords, nobles, religions, et al aren't fighting each other, its because somebody else beat them and has the area down on lock. Farmer, Levy, Soldier, Mercenary, Raider, Bandit aren't different jobs, that's a peasant's life-cycle. They're lucky if they make it back to farmer, and if not too many of their sons or daughters are killed or kidnapped. All of this is between the famines, the plagues, the high tax years, the storms, the harsh winters, etc.

The Exalted isn't Creation's strongest soul, it's the common man and woman, facing all of these problems with the simple will of a person determined to make it through the day.

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
                -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
                  Don't let city life fool you, shit sucks real bad in a lot of places. Wu Jian's lower levels are brackish water that seldom if ever gets sunlight and wild spirits run amok. Also don't eat the pork buns.
                  This is slander the pork buns are fine. They're fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                    What's life like?
                    People generally try to stay alive and groups of humans with a common purpose can be difficult prey, but that doesn't mean there won't be constant tension from living somewhere dangerous.

Magic can alter certain axioms because that's what magic does.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                    Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                      People generally try to stay alive and groups of humans with a common purpose can be difficult prey, but that doesn't mean there won't be constant tension from living somewhere dangerous.

Magic can alter certain axioms because that's what magic does.
                      Ah. Like summoning the harvest.

Comment

Out in the threshold your means for survival is going to about equate to the harshness that you live in. If you live in a seriously monster infested area, it's because you live with monster hunters of some kind. The only exception is when things are changing. Maybe you've lived in a threshold kingdom bordering on a monster infested forest, but the last of your dragonblooded outcaste hunters died out without having kids, and now for years your kingdom will be bleeding refugees and digging graves.

People won't live there for long, but the ones who do are in a really really shitty position. They could really use a Solar who's willing to show up and ride the line between revealing their demonic nature and saving them from their fate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
                          Hmm... Kind of less specifically on the Skywalker example
                          I mean... Anakin Skywalker is also a great example. He lives the life of a slave in a bustling city and his life is full of the excitement of terrifying sand storms and nearly dying in blood sports... as he wakes up in the morning, performs labour all day then goes to bed.

I guess The Eaters of Vavatch (apart from being a doomsday cult) might be a more salient example. I could definitely transpose them whole cloth as a village on the Boardermarches.

Ooo or... did y'all see that Sri Lankan film where the main character is accused of murder and Arthur C. Clark is the judge, Baddegama? Pretty much all of Creation is Baddegama.

Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
                          "I live in a village with a bunch of other folk, and we have no lords... but occasionally people from a nearby village try and kill us all, or else if that's not happening, we try and kill them instead" or "The same, but with overlords, which means people from nearby villages more rarely try and kill us, but we have more hard labour obligations", and either way it kind of grinds down what little they can gather above subsistence.
                          I mean, Luke is part of a wider community. The Lars ranch is a ranch. Luke has friends (who all run off to join a distant war) and goes out flying with them and stuff.

There's a thriving community shown in the deleted scenes: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhvZctGYL8

Luke's life is boring because subsistence farming is boring. Not because his aunt and uncle are his only human contact.
                          Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-11-2020, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Don’t forget the Reys of Creation, except the star destroyer they pick apart every day for pennies on the dollar is in a giant Dark Side nexus that gives them talking cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                              Don’t forget the Reys of Creation, except the star destroyer they pick apart every day for pennies on the dollar is in a giant Dark Side nexus that gives them talking cancer.
                              I'd wager most of Creation's denizens are not
                              clones of The Scarlet Empress

with all that entails, but the broad archetype is sound.
                              Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-11-2020, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X