Things happening during a Martial Arts tournament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things happening during a Martial Arts tournament

What mischief can the PC's get up to before, between, during or after fights

What scale are we talking for "mischief" and what are the restrictions in place on them? Like are they supposed to be in a dressing room or locker room between matches, are there days between rounds?

I just would like to know since one of my first thoughts involved slipping laxatives or something into the drinks of competitors they don't like, and assassination.

Comment

Poison
      Get poisoned
      Sleep with someone who will be an opponent
      Fight someone who needs to win more than you do
      Watch Shang Tsun eat a guy's soul
      Realize the tournament is cover for a cult
      Realize the tournament is cover for a theft
      Do a theft under cover of a tournament
      Befriend a noodle cart guy
      Realize that noodle cart guy is a master of a lost style
      Get jumped before a match
      Accidentally reveal that opponent is an aristocrat using an alias
      Mistake a grandmaster for a spectator
      Realize a friendly stray animal is actually a combatant
      Kill god
      Retire from martial arts to run a noodle stand
      Realize a piece of junk practice weapon is actually a long lost artifact
      Exalt from winning
      Exalt from losing
      Beat your enemy with a voluntary handicap
      Fight someone whose disability strengthens their martial art
      Go on extreme defense while defeating your opponent via philosophical rhetoric
      Use your fists to explain your philosophy
      Kill a different god
      Start a battle while inebriated
      Mistake a drunken fist master for a regular drunk
      Curbstomp somebody so bad their pupils take revenge
      Fall in love with said pupil before said curbstomping
      Fight a wild animal instead of a person
      Interrupt a century long sidereal plan by accident
      Win a fight by getting sick in a way that defeats your opponents strategy
      Kill a sidereal pretending to be a god pretending to be a noodle cart guy
      Have intercourse with a sidereal pretending to be the pupil of a sidereal pretending to be a god pretending to be a noodle cart guy
      Hear a defeated sidereal say "just as planned"
      Punch an elephant

Please be warned: this is not champagne, this is most likely a duck.
      -Chausse

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

Investigate an opponent you feel is being coerced into participating.
        Test out your prototype combat robot on a competitor.
        An alternate for a team has murdered one of the members so he can take his place.
        Guild factors are gambling on the results of the tournament.
        A mysterious sifu offers some last-minute training in a secret technique.
        Someone offers a generous sum if you can uncover the identity of the Masked Fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
          Poison
          Get poisoned
          Sleep with someone who will be an opponent
          Fight someone who needs to win more than you do
          Watch Shang Tsun eat a guy's soul
          Realize the tournament is cover for a cult
          Realize the tournament is cover for a theft
          Do a theft under cover of a tournament
          Befriend a noodle cart guy
          Realize that noodle cart guy is a master of a lost style
          Get jumped before a match
          Accidentally reveal that opponent is an aristocrat using an alias
          Mistake a grandmaster for a spectator
          Realize a friendly stray animal is actually a combatant
          Kill god
          Retire from martial arts to run a noodle stand
          Realize a piece of junk practice weapon is actually a long lost artifact
          Exalt from winning
          Exalt from losing
          Beat your enemy with a voluntary handicap
          Fight someone whose disability strengthens their martial art
          Go on extreme defense while defeating your opponent via philosophical rhetoric
          Use your fists to explain your philosophy
          Kill a different god
          Start a battle while inebriated
          Mistake a drunken fist master for a regular drunk
          Curbstomp somebody so bad their pupils take revenge
          Fall in love with said pupil before said curbstomping
          Fight a wild animal instead of a person
          Interrupt a century long sidereal plan by accident
          Win a fight by getting sick in a way that defeats your opponents strategy
          Kill a sidereal pretending to be a god pretending to be a noodle cart guy
          Have intercourse with a sidereal pretending to be the pupil of a sidereal pretending to be a god pretending to be a noodle cart guy
          Hear a defeated sidereal say "just as planned"
          Punch an elephant
          Nice one. I'd probably add something like : Twists the rules of a round to make more spectacle (eg : fighters must fight with a blindfold, etc ...) in a way that give an advantage to some guy because it's his specialty. Also, make some kind of "challenge or tests" to redeem the people that broke the tournament rules but because it was necessary (interrupting a fighter killing another on stage, moving the sacred mut-never-be-touched statue because the ceiling is crumbling on it or being stolen or whatever.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

Accidentally cause a civil war, a thousand year long family feud, and an anguished (or several) declarations of love when fighting in the arena, between punches and kicks

Comment

Be your opponent’s therapist
              Be inexplicably clearly audible to the audience

Comment

Accidentally reveal yourself as a Solar....

Only to suddenly realize that everyone in the tournament is also some manner of 'Anathema'. This includes the monkey, who is a Lunar with Monkey Style, and the cleaning lady, who turns out to be an Infernalist Dragonblooded with knowledge of Black Claw.

Comment

- Falsify your credentials for entering
                  - Steal a belt from an official to complete your disguise
                  - Have your beloved sneak into the tournament facilities by charming gullible officials
                  - Have your sensei and said beloved offer you inspirational support from the sidelines, thus inspiring you to prove your superiority – that you're the best around
                  - Defeat many foes, proving the superiority of your dojo. Even that psycho who does that kickass head bobbing thing
                  - Be badly wounded by an underhanded blow and make a miraculous recovery thanks to your sensei’s mastery of obscure healing techniques
                  - Withstand the brutal yet creative taunts of your assembled foes with your newly mastered integrity skills. You will not go in a body bag...
                  - Endure vicious wound penalties and attacks aimed to exploit them, delivered at the behest of the vicious master of an opposing school
                  - Illegally take down your greatest rival with an unblockable secret technique
                  Last edited by Moss Reynholm; 09-17-2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Accidently kill the master of the Dojo the tournament is being held at during the exhibition bout to introduce it (this is a thing that actually happened in one of our 2nd ed. DB games due to an inopportune use of Five Dragon Force Blow)

Challenge all the other participants to a fight at the same time and win.

Challenge all the other participants to a fight at the same time and lose.
                    Last edited by Keelbreaker; 09-17-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Fend off an assassination/sabotage so cleanly and easily that it makes officials assume the circle are accomplices due to not having been attacked.

Steal wallets of all other competitors.
                      Steal socks and underwear for all other competitors.
                      Show up to a match wearing an outfit made entirely of the stolen socks of your opponents

Comment

My favorite part of Sorcerous Overlord's list is that Kill God is in the upper-middle of the list. Neither the first or last thing thought of, just somewhere middling. So very Exalted.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                          My favorite part of Sorcerous Overlord's list is that Kill God is in the upper-middle of the list. Neither the first or last thing thought of, just somewhere middling. So very Exalted.
                          I read "kill a god" and just rolled my eyes.

But when I read "kill a different god", I thought... "hey, this has potential"...

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                            Agreed!

I on the other hand seem to have outed my childhood Karate Kid obsession to zero effect...

Comment

- get into an argument that results in an npc betting the outcome of some other important plot on the result of your match.
                              - get tangled into a side quest that requires that some other, rather weak guy wins his next match, so you have to quickly come up with a plan to help him.
                              - get an unexpected chance to beat the crap out of some npc you couldn't touch during previous adventures. Of course he will fight dirty.
                              - get tangled into a side quest that threatens you with a default if you get late to your match.
                              - get targeted by enemies who try to either frame or trick you into breaking the rules.
                              - fight a guy who's bribed the ref into overlooking his foul play.
                              - have a person dear to you taken hostage in an effort to make you throw a fight - stall a match while your friends try to rescue her.
                              - face a naive new guy who is just trying to help his friends or something, beating the crap out of him until he suddenly starts monologuing and exalts on the spot.
                              - see a massive attack on the stadium half way through the final match, as someone decides to hit a number of high value targets with assassins/monsters.
                              -- bonus points if the whole tournament turns out to be an elaborate trap for your circle.

Comment

Working...
                              X