Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daiklaves of Africa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Daiklaves of Africa

    A few of them, at least.






    In case any of them don't show, just quote me for the URLs.
    Last edited by The MG; 08-13-2014, 08:42 PM.

  • #2
    That's pretty awesome. I think my next solar will wield the one in the third image. What's the source?


    On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

    Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

    Comment


    • #3
      The third blade is an executioner's sword from the Brooklyn Museum's Arts of Africa collection, presumably from the Central African Republic. The second blade is from Zaire​1; the first pair, I know nothing of.

      1: The page I found it on, Oriental Arms, seems like a good place for artifact inspirations in general.

      Comment


      • #4
        Fantastic! Ammunition against a player I know who often goes "nobody would ever use a sword designed like that!" at the Daiklaves I draw ^__^


        You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

        Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

        Comment


        • #5
          Sub-Saharan Africa came up with some legitimately terrifying blades in the places that had the know-how for metalsmithing.

          http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nr_5633-55.jpg This is a throwing blade, supposedly. Designed to maximize the chance that a sharp bit will be what hits the opponent when it reaches them.


          "Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

          Now...count up all your sins.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CycloneJoker View Post
            Sub-Saharan Africa came up with some legitimately terrifying blades in the places that had the know-how for metalsmithing.

            http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nr_5633-55.jpg This is a throwing blade, supposedly. Designed to maximize the chance that a sharp bit will be what hits the opponent when it reaches them.
            I think I remember reading somewhere that these blades were entirely ceremonial and the whole concept of them being thrown was just a assumption on the part of European explorers and archaeologists. I cant remember where I read it though...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by turkeygiant View Post

              I think I remember reading somewhere that these blades were entirely ceremonial and the whole concept of them being thrown was just a assumption on the part of European explorers and archaeologists. I cant remember where I read it though...
              Entirely possible, like how the one sword in the OP was meant for executions and not active combat. But it's nonetheless a fun thing to think about including the next time one, say, has a campaign take a trip 'round Harborhead way.


              "Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

              Now...count up all your sins.

              Comment


              • #8
                They all seem like they would be relatively functional, well except maybe for the throwing knife with the points in every direction, that can't have very good balance...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by turkeygiant View Post
                  They all seem like they would be relatively functional, well except maybe for the throwing knife with the points in every direction, that can't have very good balance...
                  You want your weapon to be balanced so when you throw it, you hit your enemy with the pointy end, if all of it is pointy ends, balance is less of a factor.

                  Also, that throwing knife is incredibly phalic.


                  I made some Martial Arts for 3e, look at them here and here.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by While My Guitar View Post
                    You want your weapon to be balanced so when you throw it, you hit your enemy with the pointy end, if all of it is pointy ends, balance is less of a factor.

                    Also, that throwing knife is incredibly phalic.
                    It's like the functional opposite of the chakr--er, Throwing Anus from Oglaf.


                    "Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

                    Now...count up all your sins.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Pretty sure the upper-right sword in the first picture is an Egyptian khopesh, which IIRC did see actual combat use and were pretty effective chopping blades. At least effective enough that most games I've played with them as separate weapon types list them in the "brutal" category, meaning better minimum damage.


                      Glorious Echeladder Ascension Technique - Forum Topic

                      "Look, sometimes you just are in the mood to play the divinely empowered champion of the God of Farts. Mechanically optimized play is not the only way to enjoy playing your character." -Wise Old Guru

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I added two more blades to the OP.
                        Or, I would, if there wasn't a limit on the number of images you can include in a single post. So...


                        Originally posted by Ryumaru View Post
                        Pretty sure the upper-right sword in the first picture is an Egyptian khopesh, which IIRC did see actual combat use and were pretty effective chopping blades. At least effective enough that most games I've played with them as separate weapon types list them in the "brutal" category, meaning better minimum damage.
                        It's not a khopesh -- those are a bit heavier, and more axe-like -- but it does seem to be a kind of sickle-sword.
                        Last edited by The MG; 05-19-2014, 11:10 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by turkeygiant View Post

                          I think I remember reading somewhere that these blades were entirely ceremonial and the whole concept of them being thrown was just a assumption on the part of European explorers and archaeologists. I cant remember where I read it though...
                          Hi! That is a type of mambele, which is a broad category of throwing daggers that have a large curved section and a backwards spike. The idea of them being decorative has some merit - the more fanciful and bizarre the number of prongs, the more likely it is to just be the blacksmith showing how good they were, and rich people would buy them as a mark of status. However, there are many more practical variations of mambele which are indeed throwing knives. Though you do have some larger variants which are used in close combat, these tend towards being reverse sabres.

                          Anyway, here are some cool example of pre-colonial Yoruba swords





                          and a more modern one

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Examples of bordunas:



                            Those are not from Africa, but Brazil...



                            But i thought they would be a nice touch, specially for those with a liking for Ironwood weapons.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

                              But i thought they would be a nice touch, specially for those with a liking for Ironwood weapons.

                              Me Like. Very nice. Kinda reminds me of this


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X