Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How terrible is the loss of white wolf forums?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mizu View Post
    So, can someone more tech savvy explain why one of those websites like wayback machine or something I've heard of that are supposed to let you see dead website or previous versions of changed websites can't let you see the old forums?
    In the case of the wayback machine, it stores individual pages as snapshots from a specific moment, and doesn't painstakingly store everything at all times.

EDIT BECAUSE I'M NO LONGER WORKING FROM MY PHONE: To complicate matters more, the archive doesn't get every page at the same time, or even most of the pages at all. A constantly rearranging front page based on current user traffic means that the snapshot taken of that first page may not have whatever you're looking for. And if the link back to the second page works, it might be the second page of forum topics from three weeks--or years--later or earlier. And all of *this* presupposes that if you were to find the topic you were looking for, that the wayback machine actually does have a copy of it.

There's a whole lot of "ifs", is what I'm saying.
    Last edited by Mockery; 10-31-2020, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Pardon the necroing, I was wondering if anyone here did have any copies of the old wiki at least? They don't have to look nice, I can work with whatever, just wanted to see if anyone had one.
      Please and thank you ahead of time. Again sorry for the necro, just didn't want to make a new thread for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        I have, yet again, tried to hunt down a collection of homebrew. This time she who lives in her name charms, with the links being on giant in the playground. And to my lack of surprise, the links in the homebrew doc are dead.

Just how much of a loss was the forums? Was there lots of good stuff, or was it mostly garbage?
        So much was lost, not the least of which was excitement and creative inertia.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

To this day I'm really sad that I fell out of Exalted and then got back into Exalted basically during the time that the WW forums were the most active. I think I started actively seeking out homebrew like two weeks before the forum went down.

I'm still annoyed that nothing remains of Essence Mudra Style except the intro fluff and the Charm map.

Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: Glorious Tree-Felling Prana and All-Encompassing Liquid-Carrying Methodology.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorchadas View Post
            To this day I'm really sad that I fell out of Exalted and then got back into Exalted basically during the time that the WW forums were the most active. I think I started actively seeking out homebrew like two weeks before the forum went down.

I'm still annoyed that nothing remains of Essence Mudra Style except the intro fluff and the Charm map.
            I wish I can see the discussion of 'Unconquered Sun versus the Antedulivians'.

Comment

Originally posted by Dex Davican View Post
              The Exalted Discord seems pretty alive and well, with plenty of late night conversations. I wonder if part of the reason this forum feels relatively empty is migration.
              Where is this discord and how does someone get an invite to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post

I sent you a link via private message. Or tried to, anyway. The forum said it was working on it.

Hey, check out my first original RPG, Post-Mortem, here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307131/PostMortem

Or read my Exalted novella The Silence of Our Ancestors here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...looded-Novella

Comment

You don't. The best part about the forum being erased is that we never have to see that topic again.

Comment

Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post

Here's a public invite link to the Exalted Discord server: https://discord.gg/kGsyF5jhdy.

Interested in chatting with other Exalted fans online? Join us on the Exalted Discord server!

Comment

Wasn't it "The Unconquered Sun vs. Caine?" I have most of that one in my emails, since I had the forum sent to send me all replies.

(It is not very interesting, though. It mostly devolved to everyone but one person saying "here's like a billion ways the UCS could curbstomp Caine" with that one person replying to each and every one with "nu-UH, book says he's invincible on a plot level.")

Also a lot of "here's a bunch of Antedulivian powers that force your Solars to flee / melt them to ash / wish them out of existence / turn them into gerbils" followed by "IPP, IPP, and... Imma still gonna have IPP up, yeah. Next."

Seriously like 95% of Antedulivian powers were stopped dead by 2e IPP. It was a bit ridiculous.
                      Last edited by Aquillion; 12-22-2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

As the designated Lurker Extraordinaire, I remember that thread well. It was definitely popcorn worthy. However, some great stuff was definitely lost.

I wish we everyone just stayed on the original wiki (http://exalted.xi.co.nz/wiki/WelcomeToExaltedWiki) since it's stood the test of time. I still go there for inspiration every now and again. The 3e version (http://exalted3e.wikidot.com/) was practically stillborn since it was never really embraced by the community.

--Lurker Extraordinaire!

Comment

Originally posted by Aquillion View Post

Wasn't it "The Unconquered Sun vs. Caine?" I have most of that one in my emails, since I had the forum sent to send me all replies.

(It is not very interesting, though. It mostly devolved to everyone but one person saying "here's like a billion ways the UCS could curbstomp Caine" with that one person replying to each and every one with "nu-UH, book says he's invincible on a plot level.")

Also a lot of "here's a bunch of Antedulivian powers that force your Solars to flee / melt them to ash / wish them out of existence / turn them into gerbils" followed by "IPP, IPP, and... Imma still gonna have IPP up, yeah. Next."

Seriously like 95% of Antedulivian powers were stopped dead by 2e IPP. It was a bit ridiculous.
                          "Killing Caine". The same poster, roughly two years later, also raised a terrible fuss about being "forced" to be an animal shapeshifter when playing Lunars, comparing it to sexual assault. Because apparently they were "really" meant to be demons, ghosts, or whatever other shit 2e had them turning into.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolff View Post
                            As the designated Lurker Extraordinaire, I remember that thread well. It was definitely popcorn worthy. However, some great stuff was definitely lost.

I wish we everyone just stayed on the original wiki (http://exalted.xi.co.nz/wiki/WelcomeToExaltedWiki) since it's stood the test of time. I still go there for inspiration every now and again. The 3e version (http://exalted3e.wikidot.com/) was practically stillborn since it was never really embraced by the community.
                            As previously noted content creators moved towards Google Drive in the latter part of 2nd edition because it allows them to better control their content.
                            What we could do with in light of that is less a separate wiki content community and more an online archive to mitigate a purge of 3rd edition that could be brought about by variables such as Google changing their content policy.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquillion View Post

(It is not very interesting, though. It mostly devolved to everyone but one person saying "here's like a billion ways the UCS could curbstomp Caine" with that one person replying to each and every one with "nu-UH, book says he's invincible on a plot level.&quot

IPP has a lot of that problem, especially when doing crossover stuff. Anyone who has the ability to turn off the nuclear forces holding your atoms together, or age you billions of years, or turn your flesh to stone just gets turned off by IPP with no additional effort.

Comment

Or by moonsilver tattoos with no effort at all which is still true in 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                                X